The Student Room Group

The Indian friend

Alright this is another little annoyance that I thought I'd ask your friendly opinions about.

I mean I really don't care that much about what other people think, I'm the type of person who is more concerned about China using renewable energy and etc but this has been irritating me and wanted to talk about it.

Was at a friend's the other day and she told me that her brother labelled me as 'the Indian friend' in a way that I thought was offensive seeing as I'm actually not Indian :s-smilie: I'd be technically 1/4, the rest being oriental, southern European and eastern European basically but it's like - I didn't like the typecasting:redface: Do you guys reckon I shouldn't worry about it? xo
Reply 1
Maybe he just didnt know your name and was mentioning you???
Reply 2
Oh he knew my name! He just does that, like he calls another friend of ours 'ugly ginger friend', then there's 'fat nerdy friend', 'large breasts friend', 'lesbian friend'... :rolleyes: It's just immature!

What makes me annoyed is, it's like he says the Indian part in a way that means it's negative :frown:

It's like I'm being underestimated because of my looks :/
Reply 3
Well i'd hardly say being called the ugly ginger friend is positive lol.
Call him something back.
Personally, i wouldnt want somebody like that to rate my looks. Id be so embarrassed if i was your friend and had to be related to that idiot.
ETa: fugeddaboudit.
Reply 5
Well he's clearly and idiot so it's not worth worrying about.
Reply 6
this is blatant racism and should not be tolerated in our 21st century multicultural society. go to the police immediately.

i think he can get in trouble for the ginger comment too.
pipsipops
this is blatant racism and should not be tolerated in our 21st century multicultural society. go to the police immediately.

hahaha pisstake, right?
Reply 8
It's probably a notable feature he recognises and uses it. And from the sounds of it, you seems to be pretty ashamed to be of Indian heritage, which you shouldn't be.

If you wore pink glasses I think he'd pick up on that too.
Reply 9
danielapart2
Oh he knew my name! He just does that, like he calls another friend of ours 'ugly ginger friend', then there's 'fat nerdy friend', 'large breasts friend', 'lesbian friend'... :rolleyes: It's just immature!

What makes me annoyed is, it's like he says the Indian part in a way that means it's negative :frown:

It's like I'm being underestimated because of my looks :/

Its not necessarily negative, i doubt he calls her the large breasts friend in a negative way. I guess it just the first thing he notices about people,maybe he only has white friends?
My friend's little sister calls me "The Indian one" But, she's Indian herself and adores me. :smile:

However, this dude sounds like an ass with all these names for your other friends and such. If he means it in a negative way then its just wrong.
Should he say "The 1/4 Indian, the rest being oriental, southern European and eastern European friend".............?

I sometimes label people,eg."The chinese guy that works at the shop was angry today"

Meh,think nothing of it.
so what if he calls you indian!!! And as for being racist this guy is definetly not!! Would you call some one racist if you called a welsh guy boyo!?
Reply 13
yeah fair enough, I'm not ashamed of my heritage in the slightest - I love being Asian! :smile:

I just prefer not to be catagorised, do you know what I mean? Like I don't like being labelled, it's annoying.

And for the person who asked about the large breasts friend, seeing as his GF is relatively flat and he likes thin girls, and that he rolls his eyes when he calls her that, I think he meant it in a negative way too.
Reply 14
Hah, brothers are just annoying like that.

Although I'm surprised your friend even told you in the first place - I know my brothers have 'embarrassing'/obvious names for some of my friends & I would never tell them about it!
pipsipops

You're surely joking? Talk about making a fuss for the sake of being PC

Latest

Trending

Trending