The Student Room Group

So behind .. wasting my time? note making? lecturers? getting a first?

So I study Pharmacy and I must say the course is INTENSE and a lot is thrown at you already to learn. I am behind on work in every single module. However, I was just making my notes BASED OFF LECTURES listening to them on replay and I felt a bit bothered by the fact that I don't understand any of what I am writing. Then when I search the topic up in a book it has ALOT of information that comes with it - I don't know what I need and what I don't need to write into my notes. I go to lectures prepared to make notes but the lecturer goes so quick I think ah its fine ill watch replay and catch up later - so I waste my time sitting in lecturers not taking anything in. I find it difficult to write my notes : Do i include everything from the lecture and more from the books (recommended reading).. do I base them ONLY on lecture material ? I really would love to get a first this year and I know it'll be so tough. but what do I do ? I had an idea on typing my notes instead because its faster and I can easily edit and add diagrams but I've never done this before. Ive always been an ON paper type of person, has anyone had experience in this?

Could I do both? Maybe do thorough detailed notes on the laptop and then near exam time for revision simplify my notes down onto paper? I really need help I feel like breaking down with the amount of stress/work I have. :frown:
The first thing I heard in my lectures is lecture are slides are not enough! They are simply information condensed in a manner that makes no sense if you do not have prior background knowledge of the subject.
This is how I study:
-Read the relevant chapter in the course textbook, make rough notes.
-Read the lecture slides, reconcile the slides with your background knowledge, make rough notes.
-Now take those rough notes and turn them into properly formatted summaries that you can understand.
-Anything you don't get, refer to a YouTube video, there are loads available.

If you're short for time, take 5 minutes to read the lectures slides and highlight exactly where it appears in the course text. Skip the baggage and learn what you need to.
hamza ahmad hamzaahmad786 luton hertfordshire
Reply 2
Original post by hamzaahmad786
The first thing I heard in my lectures is lecture are slides are not enough! They are simply information condensed in a manner that makes no sense if you do not have prior background knowledge of the subject.
This is how I study:
-Read the relevant chapter in the course textbook, make rough notes.
-Read the lecture slides, reconcile the slides with your background knowledge, make rough notes.
-Now take those rough notes and turn them into properly formatted summaries that you can understand.
-Anything you don't get, refer to a YouTube video, there are loads available.

If you're short for time, take 5 minutes to read the lectures slides and highlight exactly where it appears in the course text. Skip the baggage and learn what you need to.
hamza ahmad hamzaahmad786 luton hertfordshire

So you do two set of notes before doing a final set which you revise of from? Can I ask - do you study pharmacy? Thank you for your advice!
Original post by aladdin818
So you do two set of notes before doing a final set which you revise of from? Can I ask - do you study pharmacy? Thank you for your advice!

Yes.
Nope. Finance but things get similarly complicated.
I would have this problem in my pharmacy lectures too. What I started doing was taking my laptop into lectures and writing in the "presenter notes" section what the lecturer was saying. Copying off the board is pointless as it stops you listening and taking in what they're saying. After my lecture I go and read up on what we've studied, particularly if there are any diagrams I don't understand I will go to their original source and read up on them.
Original post by aladdin818
So I study Pharmacy and I must say the course is INTENSE and a lot is thrown at you already to learn. I am behind on work in every single module. However, I was just making my notes BASED OFF LECTURES listening to them on replay and I felt a bit bothered by the fact that I don't understand any of what I am writing. Then when I search the topic up in a book it has ALOT of information that comes with it - I don't know what I need and what I don't need to write into my notes. I go to lectures prepared to make notes but the lecturer goes so quick I think ah its fine ill watch replay and catch up later - so I waste my time sitting in lecturers not taking anything in. I find it difficult to write my notes : Do i include everything from the lecture and more from the books (recommended reading).. do I base them ONLY on lecture material ? I really would love to get a first this year and I know it'll be so tough. but what do I do ? I had an idea on typing my notes instead because its faster and I can easily edit and add diagrams but I've never done this before. Ive always been an ON paper type of person, has anyone had experience in this?

Could I do both? Maybe do thorough detailed notes on the laptop and then near exam time for revision simplify my notes down onto paper? I really need help I feel like breaking down with the amount of stress/work I have. :frown:

Hey, I am LITERALLY having the same dilemma as you. In the beginning of the term, I was wasting so much time going back and forth ( I am not even exaggerating) on how to study and take in the material, was writing flashcards at first, then was using quizlet, then notes ( basically copying word for word from the book and lecture slides) which i found was a waste of time.

Can I just ask what university your studying at. I'm doing pharmacy at Reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending