The Student Room Group

Bad AS results, retaking the whole year??? (please help)

heyy :tsr2:

i got pretty bad results for my AS exams, so im gonna have to retake the whole year (well pretty much).
My main concern is do uni's get put off if an applicant has retaken their whole AS year or are they considered equally???

my results;

Biology (C): SN1 - 69/90 (B)
SN1 - 87/120 (B)
SN3 - 36/90 (E)

Chemistry (D): Unit 1 - 51/90 (D)
Unit 2 - 51/90 (D)
Unit 3 - 67/120 (D)

Maths (U): C1 - 41/100 (E)
C2 - 31/100 (U)
S1 - 33/100 (U)

oh and im not actually bad at maths btw, it was one of those bad exam day things where i pretty much froze up and could hardly answer anything :frown:
With chem and bio, i'm really not sure why i did so bad, im sure i could've done much better! :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well i did badly too first time round, so i took new subjects and i am behind but ive gone from a D student to an A student so if you dont mind going to uni late then just retake it.
Reply 2
Tailz
Well i did badly too first time round, so i took new subjects and i am behind but ive gone from a D student to an A student so if you dont mind going to uni late then just retake it.

yeah i truly dont mind, it doesnt really bother me (i was considering taking a break after A2 were done before anyways, now i might just forget the break).

the only thing im worried about is how uni's see this, do they look down on it??
Tailz

isnt it possible to do better in the A2's and boost those grades right up?? (except for the U in maths of course... but dont worry xD i got a U in maths too, for exactly the same reason as you did)...

this is a question.. not an answer :P
Because i got 3 C's in art, product design, and ICT, and im hoping that i can push those grades up to atleast 3 B's at A2...
what do you lot think? am i hanging on a false hope? :/

PS... im sorry if im hijacking your thread siddy :s-smilie: im really fretting over nothing... but its bothering me alot and i need serious advice xD .. and perhaps some councilling aswell xD

.Joking xD
Reply 4
anteguardian
isnt it possible to do better in the A2's and boost those grades right up?? (except for the U in maths of course... but dont worry xD i got a U in maths too, for exactly the same reason as you did)...

this is a question.. not an answer :P
Because i got 3 C's in art, product design, and ICT, and im hoping that i can push those grades up to atleast 3 B's at A2...
what do you lot think? am i hanging on a false hope? :/

PS... im sorry if im hijacking your thread siddy :s-smilie: im really fretting over nothing... but its bothering me alot and i need serious advice xD .. and perhaps some councilling aswell xD

.Joking xD

LOL its fine dont worry, and ummm it depends on how close you were to B's markwise, and if you personally think you'll do better in A2 than AS (cause i hear that A2 is alot harder)
Reply 5
Well im applying for the top unis for my course and they dont frown upon it becuase they realise that people can change, and get better grades if they do it twice. I went to a new college and i found i learnt a lot more from them.

As to the other question, yes you can boost them but only up to a B realistically, A2's are twice as hard so if you only managed to get C's in AS, you have to think can i try that much harder or did i do my best?
Reply 6
Tailz
Well im applying for the top unis for my course and they dont frown upon it becuase they realise that people can change, and get better grades if they do it twice. I went to a new college and i found i learnt a lot more from them.

As to the other question, yes you can boost them but only up to a B realistically, A2's are twice as hard so if you only managed to get C's in AS, you have to think can i try that much harder or did i do my best?
thank you :smile: that makes me feel alot better
Reply 7
thanks guys tht really helped me 2 because im redoing edexcel nuffield economics and business studies because i did terrible and got a U but in my mock i got a B, so im going to redo the whole year of that 2 :biggrin: and you've made me feel much better 2 :P cos i got relatively good grades for english literature and history so thanks :biggrin:

.... relieved thanks lol
Reply 8
got three Us and one C in my AS any hope for a resit? didn't work my ass off or something but i was predicted a B,B,B,A from mocks and past papers, exam came and i totally blacked-out. Felt i would at least get straight Cs but nothing less than a D.

Looks like ive got to resit a whole year for AS, but wondering if there was another way out?

any1 know of some1 that got a U U U U? cos... can't see any1 gettin lower than U U U C
Reply 9
I got B U C U....equally bad yeh???....
siddy_1990
it depends on how close you were to B's markwise, and if you personally think you'll do better in A2 than AS (cause i hear that A2 is alot harder)

Well.. i was probably right in the middle of a C for most of them... but in my product design C, i got a U in one of the exams which i can retake and perhaps push it up to a B? :P

But weve always been told that AS is usually the harder year because many people dont take into account how much of a step up AS is from GCSE...
and that it usually gets better in A2...

Hopefully ill get B's in a2... *fingers crossed*
Reply 11
Help Please!

I got a CEEE in my AS year and retaking the AS year again is out of the question as this was my retake year. Been REALLY lazy!

im aiming for an ABC (believe it or not) and want to go to uni but should i apply late or try to get through by clearing as im likley to get knocked back early on ???

Can i still be accepted to universities by applying late with an ABC ?

Cheers Guys :wink:
Reply 12
siddy_1990
heyy :tsr2:

i got pretty bad results for my AS exams, so im gonna have to retake the whole year (well pretty much).
My main concern is do uni's get put off if an applicant has retaken their whole AS year or are they considered equally???

my results;

Biology (C): SN1 - 69/90 (B)
SN1 - 87/120 (B)
SN3 - 36/90 (E)

Chemistry (D): Unit 1 - 51/90 (D)
Unit 2 - 51/90 (D)
Unit 3 - 67/120 (D)

Maths (U): C1 - 41/100 (E)
C2 - 31/100 (U)
S1 - 33/100 (U)

oh and im not actually bad at maths btw, it was one of those bad exam day things where i pretty much froze up and could hardly answer anything :frown:
With chem and bio, i'm really not sure why i did so bad, im sure i could've done much better! :confused:

Just resit everything at A2. C1 and C2 become so easy after doing C3 and C4!

My friend got UU in stats and mechanics. Resat at them A2 and got BB.
Reply 13
KCris8
got three Us and one C in my AS any hope for a resit? didn't work my ass off or something but i was predicted a B,B,B,A from mocks and past papers, exam came and i totally blacked-out. Felt i would at least get straight Cs but nothing less than a D.

Looks like ive got to resit a whole year for AS, but wondering if there was another way out?

any1 know of some1 that got a U U U U? cos... can't see any1 gettin lower than U U U C

Another friend got UUUD :P He did the whole year again, changed some subjects and got BCD i think.
Do unis mind if you retake 2 years? lol
Just resit, no need to retake. I assume you are doing that this year.

Good universities WILL actually look down on retake students (unless you have exceptional circumstances)
Reply 16
honestly just resit all your exams in janurary with solid work you can make up loads of points whilst doing your A2 AS will seem easier.
Reply 17
but you have to stick in
Reply 18
Sky Twilight
Just resit, no need to retake. I assume you are doing that this year.

Good universities WILL actually look down on retake students (unless you have exceptional circumstances)

What bull, :rolleyes:
my friend retook yr13 and got an offer from Imperial for CompSci,
So dont worry about it, work your ass off, get AAAA, then im sure you'll be fine:smile:

:suitc:
at our school they would let you carry on your C to A2 and do the other AS's again, so at the end of the resit year you would (hopefully) have 1 A2 and 2/3 AS.

that way there's also 1 less A2 to take the next year. speak to your school.

Quick Reply

Latest