The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hmmm... was it that bad? I thought it was better than the Sep '16 exam...although my bubble might just burst in May :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Last year I genuinely thought I was going to get the lowest possible mark for section 1 but somehow I got 50. So hopefully it's just the side effects of section 3.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Does anyone actually get section 3 finished? I ended guessing more than 30 and most of the other ones were a guess as well!
Reply 63
I guessed a lot in section 3, I'm gonna sit the september one. When do the results come out?
Original post by ktron
I guessed a lot in section 3, I'm gonna sit the september one. When do the results come out?

What kind of questions did you get
Reply 65
Original post by 10LFC10
Usually about 9 weeks later

Is for september sittings anyway, anyone correct me if i am wrong for march?

You're right. It's 8-9 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
I really struggled with section 3 yesterday. Had to make complete guesses for about 10 questions. I heard other people chatting outside the exam that they found out hard so at least we know we're not the only ones!

Roll on the September sitting!
Hi everyone,

Nice to see that it wasn't just me who felt totally deflated and disheartened after the exam yesterday. Sat it in September 2016 and got 50, 73,44 as I only had 2 weeks revision as had to finish my masters dissertation up until then. Sat it for the first time in September 2015 though and got 50, 59, 52 and revised for 2 months. It's so hard to predict your marks, especially when revising! It doesn't tell you a lot. I also come from a non-science background but after university where I did the arts, went back to do my biol and chem A levels.

It's frustrating when you try and learn so much and think you know it well and then find that most of the exam is pretty unrecognisable...how do you revise for that apart from practicing a lot?! Not sure if there is an answer. It's hard to have focused revision too when there's no syllabus.

In the section 3 I had to guess around 20 odd questions as I totally ran out of steam 3/4 the way in and saw a couple of units at the end that I new I could have a good go at but my brain would not function properly or go quick enough. I also find doing verbal reasoning first thing hard! I'm fine at home and get decent marks and can concentrate well under timed conditions in the morning...but I can never seem to focus that well first thing in the exam! I have brain fog for half of it, not sure if it's nerves taking over initially but I know I can do better but not sure how in the exam.

It's a demoralising exam and your marks could be everywhere, but deep down you know you can do it. Sometimes I think it's just luck on the day!

How do you all feel? Almost certain I'll be doing it in September again...but what I'll do in the meantime to improve I'm not sure. I didn't know any physics again...find it hard to have enough time to learn A level physics as well when only had 2 months. Maybe 6 months revision is the answer but hard to find this time.
Reply 68
Wow that was a crappy exam, last years March exam was much more straightforward and I tanked that so I'm not going to be optimistic this time. This will be the last time I do this awful exam, I will rely on doing well in the UKCAT.

Also, BOOOO to section III, worst exam ever
This was my third time taking the gamsat because I was ill during my second sitting. And I can't believe how hard that was. March 2016 was so much easier in comparison. I had to guess around. 30-40 questions and there was so much reading too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by 10LFC10
Usually about 9 weeks later

Is for september sittings anyway, anyone correct me if i am wrong for march?

Thanks.

Original post by gemss
What kind of questions did you get

Very reasoning heavy. Ridiculously Biol heavy with chunky texts and quite a lot of attempts to throw you off. Very few questions that were straightforward. By far my worst exam ever.
Reply 71
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
This was my third time taking the gamsat because I was ill during my second sitting. And I can't believe how hard that was. March 2016 was so much easier in comparison. I had to guess around. 30-40 questions and there was so much reading too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think ACER have actually changed their examination style now? It was so different to when I did it last in September 2015 and different to the ACER materials! (Speaking of only S3).
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it worth scoping libraries to find free GAMSAT revision material?
Hi All,

I've taken the GAMSAT on two occasions and now going to be studying med in Sept.

I'm selling my Gold Standard & Griffiths Resources (for a very affordable price) IMO these are the only resources really needed.

Personal Advice

Give 3-4 Months practice to really get to grips with content and practice q's for Section 3 in particular. With Section 1 and 2 reading regularly BBC News, fiction books and Poems will help prep/expand vocabulary.

I found Griffiths the best 1 and 2 as it really gives simple advice that you can use for essays and I used the majority of their templates.

All the best to everyone :smile:
Original post by ktron
Do you think ACER have actually changed their examination style now? It was so different to when I did it last in September 2015 and different to the ACER materials! (Speaking of only S3).

What was section 2 theme
Reply 75
Hi Guys,

I also took March exam this year. Scary, but with enough preparation I managed to finish it. I took the test in September 2016 and was left with 30 unanswered questions in S3. Roll on March, whilst doing a Pharmacy degree on the side, I focused on just attempting lots and lots of past papers, in timed conditions. Eventually, as demonstrated in the exam I was able to finish the whole of Section 3, with about 2 minutes remaining. Of course, I am yet to get the results but I have high hopes this time.

The material I used is for sale and includes online copies of: The Griffiths Review, Des O'Neill Papers, GradMed papers, Ozimed 1-10 Papers and much more, including revision notes.

Message me for more details, I'm happy to help.
Kind Regards,
Sizar Doski.
Original post by Seez
Hi Guys,

I also took March exam this year. Scary, but with enough preparation I managed to finish it. I took the test in September 2016 and was left with 30 unanswered questions in S3. Roll on March, whilst doing a Pharmacy degree on the side, I focused on just attempting lots and lots of past papers, in timed conditions. Eventually, as demonstrated in the exam I was able to finish the whole of Section 3, with about 2 minutes remaining. Of course, I am yet to get the results but I have high hopes this time.

The material I used is for sale and includes online copies of: The Griffiths Review, Des O'Neill Papers, GradMed papers, Ozimed 1-10 Papers and much more, including revision notes.

Message me for more details, I'm happy to help.
Kind Regards,
Sizar Doski.

I did the same constantly going over exams and managed to finish well within the time (granted i have an undergraduate degree in chemistry which may have helped!)
I would definately recommend the des O'Neil or the ACER papers but think the gold standard is a waste of money as it's far too theoretical for what's required, you can learn better from the answer videos for ACER or des oniel available from YouTube 😊
Reply 77
Original post by Dr squared
I did the same constantly going over exams and managed to finish well within the time (granted i have an undergraduate degree in chemistry which may have helped!)
I would definately recommend the des O'Neil or the ACER papers but think the gold standard is a waste of money as it's far too theoretical for what's required, you can learn better from the answer videos for ACER or des oniel available from YouTube 😊

True, I do understand how the Gold Standard can be useful from a non-science background's POV. However, the online videos alone were much more useful, and I spent all that money just to learn the Physics section, which was in addition to another book I used.
But anyways yeh, well done! Practice in timed conditions was key! Hopefully when the results come out we're good... can't do this for the third time in September man.
Reply 78
I sat the exam in September 2016 and am sitting again this September. However I really need a lot more help on s3. Does anyone know how I could go about getting a tutor for that section? I think being taught by someone else will really help me get better at my worst section!!
Reply 79
Hi everyone,

I've graduate Politics with a 2:1 in 2016 and currently, I am months away from completing my Masters - it's an entirely different department from my undergraduate degree but I am predicted to graduate with a Distinction. Anyway, all that aside, I would like to sit the GAMSAT in September and I am really considering it; problem is, my thesis is due in the same week as the exam so I have to really split my time between the two things.

I am using A-Level textbooks to prepare for section three although to be honest, I pushed science aside to focus on my degree so I am quite worried. Sections one and two are not too difficult and so far, I was satisfied with the practice results I got from Reasoning but there is room for improvement; of course, it's impossible to tell how the essays I wrote ended up as there is no genuine right or wrong.

I'm spending much of my summer abroad but I won't have many (if any) obstacles to prevent me revising and working on my thesis at the same time. Even so, the last time I have done science was for GCSEs so I imagine my chances are incredibly low of scoring a decent mark, at the very least.

My question is: how many months in advance did you begin preparing for the GAMSAT and how much time in a day would you say you dedicate?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending