The Student Room Group

What are your biggest cooking disasters?

Question as above
Reply 1
In year 7 Food Tech we were making pasta for some reason, but I burnt mine. :frown:
Muffies: tried to make muffins but after raising a couple of cm they acquired a cookie like consistency, they were basically nearly hard as a biscuit. People still ate them..
I'm gonna go ahead and say this
Cooking with my friend. It was just a pasta dish, quite simple, I spposed so. But he had ruined the sauce and soiled the kitchen so much that I promise myself never cooking with him again. Worst feeling I ever had. Oh and by the way the food was disgusting.
In year 11, my pan caught fire and I managed to set fire to my trousers.
Hurt like ****.
Somehow my legs weren't to badly burnt.
Maybe because I am used to high temperatures.
Still screamed like a girl though.
Made proper pizza dough at home, put it in my bag, brought it to school, during an English exam it began expanding all over the place. Pizza was great though.
Reply 7
None because I can't cook :rofl:
Original post by Mvine001
In year 11, my pan caught fire and I managed to set fire to my trousers.
Hurt like ****.
Somehow my legs weren't to badly burnt.
Maybe because I am used to high temperatures.
Still screamed like a girl though.

So, you are a man? did you have still cook after that or didn't you overcome your trauma?
Reply 9
Not my cooking disaster but my partner's - he was making us a big pot of soup and reading a recipe online and he read it as "add four garlic" and not as what it actually said which was "add four garlic cloves" so he added 4 whole garlics to this small pot of soup and it was inedible. The smell was so strong and we tried flushing some down the toilet but the smell stayed in the flat for a good few days afterwards and it made me feel sick because it was so, so strong. Safe to say we were free from vampire visits for a while :tongue: :teehee:
Original post by Kallisto
So, you are a man? did you have still cook after that or didn't you overcome your trauma?

I still cook.
I'm not sure where to start on this. I'm quite severely colourblind and white and pink look the same. As does dark pink (the colour that steak is, for example) and brown. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to chuck food away because I've realised it's not been cooked properly. :frown:

I don't know how I got a D in Food tech at GCSE.
The first time I tried a pasta bake recipe, I left it in the oven for way too long because it didn't look cooked. I left it for double the time I should have. It ended up burnt, and the pasta was actually crispy.

It is one of my favourite recipes though, now that I actually do it properly and know how long to cook it for.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
The first time I tried a pasta bake recipe, I left it in the oven for way too long because it didn't look cooked. I left it for double the time I should have. It ended up burnt, and the pasta was actually crispy.

It is one of my favourite recipes though, now that I actually do it properly and know how long to cook it for.

That is cooking: getting better by experience, even if it is an awful one. What did you do when you realized you cooked your pasta too long? did you go out for a meal? I remember me that I have cooked a pasta dish too. When I just wanted to serve it, the food fell to ground and burst in many different fragments. After that I ordered food by delivery service.
Original post by Kallisto
That is cooking: getting better by experience, even if it is an awful one. What did you do when you realized you cooked your pasta too long? did you go out for a meal? I remember me that I have cooked a pasta dish too. When I just wanted to serve it, the food fell to ground and burst in many different fragments. After that I ordered food by delivery service.

Can't remember. Probably just put chips in or something simple like that.

Quick Reply

Latest