The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
I'm in the 1% :h:

Also, everyone's is regurgitating everyone aren't they? You posting links is regurgitating what members of the government put on their website...

well my source, as my OP stated, is similar to you linking websites, based off of a heated conversation with several public housing officers when I went down firing concerns for why certain people left with keys and may times before I had not.

So if you take issue with me...you take issue with them...as I do...

The housing system is based on need. I got somewhere quickly because my parents place ain't suitable. My brother wouldn't get somewhere because my parents house is suitable for his needs.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The housing system is based on need. I got somewhere quickly because my parents place ain't suitable. My brother wouldn't get somewhere because my parents house is suitable for his needs.

Ok?...
If you care about the homeless why don't you invite them to live in your house?

OR are you just a liberal luvvie virtue signalling?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
First off all that bit about the Olympics is irrelevant; homelessness is rapidly increasing by 100s of percent since UniversalCredit. Secondly I'm not even going to further entertain your ridiculous preconceptions about the homeless in the country.

Lastly my original title of the thread WAS in fact "THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIGRANTS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, AND REFUGEE" for the simple fact that people like you keep using them interchangeably. I'm clearly not on about immigrants and don't you dare bring children into this because firstly if you had read what I bloody wrote in my OP instead of decidedly responding to a non-sequitur (who does that?) then you would have seen me say that I am actually angry that British people with children are made homeless (evicted for whatever reason or turnt down by council despite having kids due to bureaucratic technicalities when foreigners who fall under those same technicalities are suddenly made priority) and I really don't know why you're defending council because of this or what you're point is at all and secondly I made a very to my surprise successful thread on Benefits where I explicitly defend people who have children. So how about not judging me which you actually have the cheek to do since your rhetoric clearly states that you think *I* am the judgmental one here. And lastly PLEASE LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIGRANT and IMMIGRANT. THANK YOU.

Well it was... but it also highlights that you have no idea about homeless policy..... nor why UK citizens are generally sleeping rough rather than in emergency housing.

You are still yet to state exactly how or under what processes immigrants (who are migrants learn english) get priority over UK citizens? All the right wing newspaper articles that complain fail to note such families almost always include children or pregnant women, who just like UK citizens jump to the top of the queue. Do you have any real world facts to support your statement that a foreigner vs UK citizens will get preferential treatment? Illegal immigrants actually won't get emergency housing at all and get sent instead to Immigration removal centres. And don't get me wrong I hate local councils due to their bureaucratic messes.... but your beliefs don't hold ground to any real life facts.
Original post by Zephrom

Please, blame the housing crisis on the people who have created it (the government) and don't unfairly shift blame onto foreigners.

You need to calm down and re-read what I wrote. If you read it at all.

Use your brain, please.

First off who am I discussing? Foreigners needing a place to live or council (which is the gov't)

giving them housing?....

It's the latter Im discussing...

Secondly: Do I look happy about this?

No I don't.

So put the two together, my friend, and see who I'm actually upset about.

Also do before you post again read the thread because what I posted in my OP is attacking council.

Did you miss the part where I said I was arguing with council?

Did you miss the part where they kept turning me down?

Who do you think I am mad at?

Read this (my response to someone else) for once and you'll see who:

"Lastly my original title of the thread WAS in fact "THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIGRANTS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, AND REFUGEE" for the simple fact that people like you keep using them interchangeably. I'm clearly not on about immigrants and don't you dare bring children into this because firstly if you had read what I bloody wrote in my OP instead of decidedly responding to a non-sequitur (who does that?) then you would have seen me say that I am actually angry that British people with children are made homeless (evicted for whatever reason or turnt down by council despite having kids due to bureaucratic technicalities when foreigners who fall under those same technicalities are suddenly made priority) and I really don't know why you're defending council because of this or what you're point is at all and secondly I made a very to my surprise successful thread on Benefits where I explicitly defend people who have children. So how about not judging me which you actually have the cheek to do since your rhetoric clearly states that you think *I* am the judgmental one here. And lastly PLEASE LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIGRANT and IMMIGRANT. THANK YOU."
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

OR are you just luvvie virtue signalling?

How does this help anyone?

Anyway I care because I was homeless until recently. As stated. Read the thread and stop posting nonsense because you want reps.

Also no, the answer obviously isn't housing people myself. Thats the gov't job. Which clearly they ain't doing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drbluebox
The problem though is that people play the system no matter if they are from the UK or another country.

In my local area the council and HA had to learn POLISH to speak to people as they had that many applications from people and now do their leaflets in dual Polish and English, as you can guess we have a huge Polish population here.

Even spoken to people who have lived here a few years and started a family who moaned about how they should get a council house "as they have need" Sure they work and pay in but there is people waiting years getting pushed down the lists due to this.

EU nationals with established ties and links to the local community ? workign and paying UK tax ?

the law treats these people pretty much identically to British citizens and others with IDLR and recourse to public funds

And me myself I live in accomodation that is old, the flat upstairs is run down and someone moved into it recently KNOWING it was run down (foreign guy) speaking to me he was telling me how he OWNED a house abroad and came from what would be seen as a wealthy family, he didn't care the state of property as he just bought a nice bed for it and uses it to sleep and stays with relatives a lot.

The state of his property is so bad a leak made one of my ceilings collapse, the fire brigade had to damage his door to stop the leak and he was at my door screaming and shouting how hes a victim (im the one who now has a chest infection from the mould due to leak and ceiling collapse, and im disabled as well) I got ZERO points for council housing.

He has now been allocated council housing for being in a property of disrepair despite owning a BMW, flashes the cash and knowing when he moved in the property was run down (£180 a month for a 2 bedroom property makes alarm bells ring to anyone really)

i don;t think you understand how prioritisation for social housing works and you also think that playing the disability card should be a magic pass ...
Original post by DanB1991
Well it was... but it also highlights that you have no idea about homeless policy..... nor why UK citizens are generally sleeping rough rather than in emergency housing.

You are still yet to state exactly how or under what processes immigrants (who are migrants learn english) get priority over UK citizens? All the right wing newspaper articles that complain fail to note such families almost always include children or pregnant women, who just like UK citizens jump to the top of the queue. Do you have any real world facts to support your statement that a foreigner vs UK citizens will get preferential treatment? Illegal immigrants actually won't get emergency housing at all and get sent instead to Immigration removal centres. And don't get me wrong I hate local councils due to their bureaucratic messes.... but your beliefs don't hold ground to any real life facts.

PRSOM
but your beliefs don't hold ground to any real life facts.

Neither does your post. Please don't carousel through my thread posting mindless and irrelevant stuff just to relieve your boredom on this fine Saturday.
Original post by Tiger Rag

Is homelessness increasing in this country, yes or no?

Keep in mind the stats only count citizens as they are documented.
@zippyRN is homelessness increasing yes or no?

WIll you go down to council to ask them this:

if you are British and want emergency housing you have to be working, show you are looking for work, not have property elsewhere, and not leave the residence at your own accord.

yes or no?

That's all I want from you, good day.
Original post by 0to100
@zippyRN is homelessness increasing yes or no?

WIll you go down to council to ask them this:

if you are British and want emergency housing you have to be working, show you are looking for work, not have property elsewhere, and not leave the residence at your own accord.

yes or no?

That's all I want from you, good day.

that is now how this kind of thing works , as it;s you making the claim that immigrants are automatically housed in permanent placements regardless , you have to provide documentary proof of that ...

to counter the the following https://www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/help_from_the_council_when_homeless/eligibility_for_assistance
(edited 7 years ago)
We've got a couple of scragglers saying I don't post facts which I'm not bothered about because:

1, I know I am

and 2, I don't see anyone countering me with facts themselves.

Because my OP does state facts, I wouldnt have come on here to do otherwise.

And they also are too busy focusing on my opinion, which is bonkers.

Who argues opinion and not facts? Bored trolls, that's who.

Good day, everyone. I'll come back when you wanna really talk.
Original post by 0to100
Is homelessness increasing in this country, yes or no?

Keep in mind the stats only count citizens as they are documented.

Maybe the decline of full time work and the increase of part time work and zero hour contracts? The great affordable housing shortage? Everytime the government releases statements that employment has gone up, if you look at the stats in any great detail, yes more people are in work but pretty low paying work by historical standards.

Also the amount of bureaucracy and the amount of hoops you have to jump through are ever increasing. Those hoops apply to everyone and don't exclude immigrants at all. 'I, Daniel Blake' for example shows how bad it is atm.

But this is exactly the same as the anti-immigration brexit crowd. Blaming foreigners for problems caused by successive labour & conservative governments and communities that have long been ignored. Actually in many areas an increase in immigrants generally lowers demand for social housing.

Quick google search for you.https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/jan/25/is-immigration-causing-the-uk-housing-crisis
"two thirds of housing demand is created not by net migration figures being higher than in previous years, but by a lack of social housing stock, an increase in life expectancy, and more households delaying marriage or forgoing cohabitation resulting in an increased number of smaller households."
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

OR are you just luvvie virtue signalling?

Actually, also this is less about me bothered about the homeless

and more about me being mind boggled how much I have to repeat black and white English to people who claim they know more than the next person :congrats:

Also the amount of bureaucracy and the amount of hoops you have to jump through are ever increasing. Those hoops apply to everyone and don't exclude immigrants at all.

You really don't read do you?

All throughout the thread icluding

in my

OP

I stated

what foreigners

have to do.

I stated it

clear as day

in black and white

actually did it twice

in the OP.
Who comes in the thread arguing with the thread starters or any posters

when they clearly haven't read the OP nor have they kept up with the thread?

Who really does that?

and lmao "quick google search" which exposes you as uninformed that you have to quick google search and aren't confident with knowledge you have on your own already

and then on top of that, he picks theguardian. I'm being trolled by pseudo-intellectual social justice warriors. What fine day this is.

Original post by yeezyyy
standard uneducated racist boy blaming migrants for the problems in this country. How about you educate yourself and learn that these problems are because of the government since the thatcher era.

OP is an utter idiot.

And here comes another.

Read the OP for starters and see I'm attacking council. As someone who's been homeless, I only hate council.

Get it troll? Now find a bridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
and lmao "quick google search" which exposes you as uninformed that you have to quick google search and aren't confident with knowledge you have on your own already

and then on top of that, he picks theguardian. I'm being trolled by pseudo-intellectual social justice warriors. What fine day this is.

And here comes another.

are you doing law in uni by any chance :eek:
Original post by 0to100
You really don't read do you?

All throughout the thread icluding

in my

OP

I stated

what foreigners

have to do.

I stated it

clear as day

in black and white

actually did it twice

in the OP.

And

the

only

difference

is

foreigners

have

to

prove

they

work

or

have

worked.

UK citizens have to show they were in work, looking for work or on job seekers. They technically can leave work on their own regard and still claim as long as they are looking for work. By comparison foreign workers have to show they have been in work and were let go through no fault of their own. That is the only difference. The child part applies to both UK nationals and non UK nationals.

Have you even read government or council criteria?

Latest

Trending

Trending