The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 0to100

and the reason is: council prioritising non-citizens over citizens.

About 5 posters have proved, with links, that this is COMPLETELY FALSE.

Stop spreading false information on this site.
Original post by john2054
Being homeless means you don't have a roof over your head for that night, so therefore you can't be homeless with emergency housing that same night, it is an oxymoron. Nice try though?!?

Nope... homeless as defined by the government and charities is defined as those without permanent accommodation. Someone for example sleeping on their mates sofa = homeless.... hostels = homeless.... emergency accommodation = homeless.... B&B = homeless. I was lucky I didn't have to spend a night on the street, mostly because I was classified as vulnerable, but it's a common misconception that homeless = sleeping on the street.

It's why when looking at homeless stats you have to separate homeless and sleeping rough which the vast majority of charities I worked with did. Now a large amount of homeless people will sleep rough at some point. But the vast majority of people sleeping rough long term (over a week) are those who cause issues.

London is slightly different but according to Chain around 64% of those who sleep rough are only seen once on the street. By comparison in Liverpool where I helped this figure was much higher (closer to 90%) with the remainder, which was around 9-15 at any one time, was mostly the result of alcohol addiction which generally sets in after a week on the street.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not true not true not true. Say it like you mean it bro, cos you ain't been there? And we have!

really

I have been 'homeless' within the official defintion ...

I also have a decade plus operational experience in emergency care and pre-hospital care , i have a sibling who is a serving police officer, ...

been there got the t-shirt , handed out the tshirt
Original post by yeezyyy
oh boohoo. Being homeless doesnt change the fact that british people still get priority over foreigners under the current emergency housing system.

yes and no

British and Irish people who habitually live i nthe UK come first then , people with IDLR and EU nationals with established links to the UK ( i.e. have been living and working here to establish a local link )

Housing for refugees and people who pass the first stage of asylum process is totally seperate and funded by central government - the only link with social housing is that in some places'hard to let' social housing was transferred into the control of the home office for refugee accomodation

the fact is someone without IDLR or an EU citizen without established links to the Uk / habitual residency does not get housed by the state

a lot of the whinging and chelping from the faux offended claiming to be British citizen posters is based in their willfull misunderstanding of the system and also the fact the system does not fulfill their 'want' of a nice flat / house i nthe big city on demand - especially if theat LA isn't the one which is responsible by law ( back to established local links)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drbluebox

Me being older than you and having years of experience with social work, disability, social housing would mean I would know the system better than someone who just reads information and takes it at face value, I am the one who has real world experience.

oh really ?

so you were working in health and social care in the early or mid 90s , as that is what you would have to be doing to have 'more ' experience than I do ...
Original post by DanB1991
Nope... homeless as defined by the government and charities is defined as those without permanent accommodation. Someone for example sleeping on their mates sofa = homeless.... hostels = homeless.... emergency accommodation = homeless.... B&B = homeless. I was lucky I didn't have to spend a night on the street, mostly because I was classified as vulnerable, but it's a common misconception that homeless = sleeping on the street.

It's why when looking at homeless stats you have to separate homeless and sleeping rough which the vast majority of charities I worked with did. Now a large amount of homeless people will sleep rough at some point. But the vast majority of people sleeping rough long term (over a week) are those who cause issues.

London is slightly different but according to Chain around 64% of those who sleep rough are only seen once on the street. By comparison in Liverpool where I helped this figure was much higher (closer to 90%) with the remainder, which was around 9-15 at any one time, was mostly the result of alcohol addiction which generally sets in after a week on the street.

again PRSOM

also the difference with 'homeless' in London is peopel run away to London as a want rather than seeking assistance where the statutory responsibility exists ... I'm unsure if there is still provision for LAs or the Police to provide a travel warrant to get people back to the LA which does have responsibility...
Original post by 0to100

I stated it

clear as day

in black and white

actually did it twice

in the OP.

I read your OP. It isn't clear. It also isn't clear what your point is. Homelessness is an exceedingly complex issue in this country regardless of immigration. There have always been more people wanting social housing than houses to go around - always.

However, for me, the question is simple. Immigrants, legal and otherwise are going to come here whether we like it or not. We can build a 100ft wall around the coast - they will still come. And some that do come will have no means. So the question, is do you want to see shanty and slum towns like The Jungle in Calais in our Sceptred Isle? Because that is the choice as far as I can see.
Original post by yeezyyy
oh boohoo. Being homeless doesnt change the fact that british people still get priority over foreigners under the current emergency housing system.

Original post by zippyRN
really

I have been 'homeless' within the official defintion ...

I also have a decade plus operational experience in emergency care and pre-hospital care , i have a sibling who is a serving police officer, ...

been there got the t-shirt , handed out the tshirt

Being homeless, means being 'without a home'. Not bunking up at your mate's because your mum kicked you out. Sorry to break it to you this way. It is easy to say, yeah my dad was in the army, so i know how to kill someone to five seconds flat, with only my bare hands and a piece of string. But then i am on tsr, where most users are pubscent teenagers, with about as much life experience as someone who has just been to a pub for the first time. And yes, there have been threads written on that. So we should forgive you for expecting more from you.

Point taken. But the point remains, someone who has never slept in a bin, or on a park bench in the rain, or begged for change, or associated with big issues, doesn't know about homelessness. Not a single penny. And no amount of Guardian or 'journal' surveys, will change this fact. In fact i'm fairly sure that most of the posters on this thread don't ever, if rarely, give money to the tramps and big issue sellers on the streets. But as someone who has slept in bins, on wet park benches, both begged and frequently gives change, i do have authority over this issue. Nice try though.
Being homeless, means being 'without a home'. Not bunking up at your mate's because your mum kicked you out. Sorry to break it to you this way. It is easy to say, yeah my dad was in the army, so i know how to kill someone to five seconds flat, with only my bare hands and a piece of string. But then i am on tsr, where most users are pubscent teenagers, with about as much life experience as someone who has just been to a pub for the first time. And yes, there have been threads written on that. So we should forgive you for expecting more from you.

Point taken. But the point remains, someone who has never slept in a bin, or on a park bench in the rain, or begged for change, or associated with big issues, doesn't know about homelessness. Not a single penny. And no amount of Guardian or 'journal' surveys, will change this fact. In fact i'm fairly sure that most of the posters on this thread don't ever, if rarely, give money to the tramps and big issue sellers on the streets. But as someone who has slept in bins, on wet park benches, both begged and frequently gives change, i do have authority over this issue. Nice try though.

Yes and someone living in a hostel doesn't have a 'home' :lol: seriously homeless stats include those groups, get over it. There's a whole reason the government and responsible charities separate the two groups.

So working with said individuals doesn't mean squat then? :lol: right? We knew the vast majority of those who slept rough and the vast majority of those who slept rough knew exactly where the facilities for them were located.

And yes I won't give money to beggars.... because I've have seen and had to deal with the result first hand and it's not nice at all. Realistically the amount of free and cheap food handed out means in the majority of cases those sleeping rough already know which avenues to go to. Those same people I saw begging in liverpool would show up to our shelter for free food most evenings and a fair few would also turn up in hospital or dead due to alcohol abuse. "Nice try" but seriously in my personal experience most long term homeless who are sleeping rough are the result of demons such as addiction or violent behaviour (often caused by mental or personal issues). Government stats also shows most homeless individuals spend extremely few nights sleeping rough.

No idea what the underlined rant is about.
Yes and someone living in a hostel doesn't have a 'home' :lol: seriously homeless stats include those groups, get over it. There's a whole reason the government and responsible charities separate the two groups.

So working with said individuals doesn't mean squat then? :lol: right? We knew the vast majority of those who slept rough and the vast majority of those who slept rough knew exactly where the facilities for them were located.

And yes I won't give money to beggars.... because I've have seen and had to deal with the result first hand and it's not nice at all. Realistically the amount of free and cheap food handed out means in the majority of cases those sleeping rough already know which avenues to go to. Those same people I saw begging in liverpool would show up to our shelter for free food most evenings and a fair few would also turn up in hospital or dead due to alcohol abuse. "Nice try" but seriously in my personal experience most long term homeless who are sleeping rough are the result of demons such as addiction or violent behaviour (often caused by mental or personal issues). Government stats also shows most homeless individuals spend extremely few nights sleeping rough.

No idea what the underlined rant is about.

Are you working now btw? So you earn £200+ a week, and still can't afford a big issue, from someone who has spent hours standing in the cold and rain, to smile and bow down and ask you to pay £2.50 to buy one? Fair enough. Truth be told i normally don't buy one, but just give the nice Roma woman who sells it, 50p or £1 and tell her to 'keep it'. But then, being rich, is a state of mind. I know i will always help out those more needy than myself, because god made me that way. But i guess if everyone was so giving, we wouldn't have half of these problems in the first place!
Are you working now btw? So you earn £200+ a week, and still can't afford a big issue, from someone who has spent hours standing in the cold and rain, to smile and bow down and ask you to pay £2.50 to buy one? Fair enough. Truth be told i normally don't buy one, but just give the nice Roma woman who sells it, 50p or £1 and tell her to 'keep it'. But then, being rich, is a state of mind. I know i will always help out those more needy than myself, because god made me that way. But i guess if everyone was so giving, we wouldn't have half of these problems in the first place!

Actually I earn about £100-170 a week depending on the hours available.... and no I don't exactly have enough spare money due to bills etc. Even then I've always been a bit conflicted over the big issue.

That said I prefer to donate directly to charities instead, for the reasons I stated in my previous post.
Actually I earn about £100-170 a week depending on the hours available.... and no I don't exactly have enough spare money due to bills etc. Even then I've always been a bit conflicted over the big issue.

That said I prefer to donate directly to charities instead, for the reasons I stated in my previous post.

But from all of those standing orders you set up to charities, you do realise that the vast majority of the money you send, only pays the managers wages, right? And i know this as someone who has worked at a number of them, including but not limited to the red cross and shelter....?
But from all of those standing orders you set up to charities, you do realise that the vast majority of the money you send, only pays the managers wages, right? And i know this as someone who has worked at a number of them, including but not limited to the red cross and shelter....?

Main reason why I give to the smaller charities, but even then it's better to help support the larger organisation than potentially enable someone to kill themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
oh really ?

so you were working in health and social care in the early or mid 90s , as that is what you would have to be doing to have 'more ' experience than I do ...

No, but my PARENTS were, and working doesn't give you FIRST HAND experience of each thing. it gives you a LIMITED experience.

Oh and for your information my father now works in the local housing for our area.

Are you saying all us are incorrect?

Using your brain for once you would know theres a difference between how something DOES work and how it SHOULD work.
No, but my PARENTS were, and working doesn't give you FIRST HAND experience of each thing. it gives you a LIMITED experience.

Oh and for your information my father now works in the local housing for our area.

Are you saying all us are incorrect?

Using your brain for once you would know theres a difference between how something DOES work and how it SHOULD work.

and your obvious hypocrisy in your postion ...
Original post by zippyRN
and your obvious hypocrisy in your postion ...

Better than utter stupidity.

What am I being a hypocrite about?
Better than utter stupidity.

What am I being a hypocrite about?

Dismissing the experience of people who have experience of homelessness as both a 'service user' and as a practitioner in health and social care based on anecdotes aobut what your parents did in the 1990s ?
Reply 98
They take our joobs they take our homes OUT OUT EU!!!
Original post by zippyRN
Dismissing the experience of people who have experience of homelessness as both a 'service user' and as a practitioner in health and social care based on anecdotes aobut what your parents did in the 1990s ?

I have experience of homelessness as well for your information, as well as family history of the system and how it works, parents who worked in health and social industry.

I have had pretty much an entire lifetime of the system for social work, social housing and all the things it SHOULD do, and know what happens instead.

And you love to dismiss everyone elses experiences like my parents as it disagrees with yours.

Now who is being the hypocrite.

Latest

Trending

Trending