The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Colleges

One thing that really interests me about York is the fact that it has colleges. Are they basically halls of residences or do they have their own identities, rivalries, etc? People I know who went to York don't seem to make such a big deal about the colleges but is it important part of university life to some people?
Hiya,

It's probably best for our students to tell you about the college system - you can read some of their blogs about it on our Student Voices blog!

Here's some quick facts anyway :smile:

1) We have nine colleges - eight which have both undergraduate and postgraduate students, and one which is postgraduate only. These are scattered across our campus with six on Campus West and three on Campus East! You stay part of the same college for the entirety of your degree.

2) You'll live in your college in first year, so in this respect, it's a bit like a hall of residence. However, your college community will organise your freshers week and events throughout the year, and you'll have the opportunity to take part in college sports, volunteering and lots of other things. Your college will also have a welfare team to help you with any problems, and each college has a Junior Common Room (JCR).

3) A crucial difference between colleges at York and elsewhere is that teaching isn't necessarily done in your college but rather in your department. This is great, as it means you get both a college community and a department community, and you can choose to live in any of the colleges on campus.

4) Colleges can be as important as you want to make them. You can choose to get involved with your college committee, attend events, do sports and volunteering or you can choose not to - it's entirely up to you. Most students would really recommend it, though - you can gain a lot of experience and make friends for life.

5) Each college does have its own personality and history - you can find out more by talking to current students or looking on the college website.

I hope that's helpful!

Katie
:smile:
University of York
York
Thanks for the detailed information. It looks like a great environment!
yeah going around at the summer school, there's a real rivalry between the different college at York. Each one has their own identities, new, old, sporty, artsy, the whole shabang.
really praying I get into York, felt like home going there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending