The Student Room Group

The Daily Mail has gone WAY too far now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yudothis
What was the motivation for the terror attack?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38079594

Well, Britain first is not incompatible with the DM story. He could have been worried about immigrants being given his house.

I am not defending him. I am just saying I don't think anything from with the story.
If I explain how someone got cancer I'm not taking a pro-cancer stance. It's important to try to empathise with people we disagree with, even those who behave in truly vile ways. If we don't even attempt to understand how such events occur than how can we possibly take measures to prevent them?
Reply 23
Well, Britain first is not incompatible with the DM story. He could have been worried about immigrants being given his house.

I am not defending him. I am just saying I don't think anything from with the story.

So he was shouting britain first, make britain independent again etc etc and you still think its the immigrants fault. Moron.
Reply 24
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
If I explain how someone got cancer I'm not taking a pro-cancer stance. It's important to try to empathise with people we disagree with, even those who behave in truly vile ways. If we don't even attempt to understand how such events occur than how can we possibly take measures to prevent them?

But a court already reached a verdict that this was terrorism.
Reply 25
It sickens me that people are blaming immigrants for this.
Original post by burt.
So he was shouting britain first, make britain independent again etc etc and you still think its the immigrants fault. Moron.

No, I am saying he may very well think it is.
Original post by burt.
But a court already reached a verdict that this was terrorism.

I'm not saying it wasn't terrorism, it clearly was. What I'm saying is we need to understand the motivations that led him down that road. Why did he become a terrorist? How people end up engaging in such behaviour is something that is very important to explain. I have no respect for the Mail in general, but I do think we need to be free to ask questions without being seen as hateful. There's nothing wrong with asking why someone did a horrible thing or trying to explain it.
Reply 28
No, I am saying he may very well think it is.

But there's no reasonable reason for it.
Reply 29
I'm not saying it wasn't terrorism, it clearly was. What I'm saying is we need to understand the motivations that led him down that road. Why did he become a terrorist? How people end up engaging in such behaviour is something that is very important to explain. I have no respect for the Mail in general, but I do think we need to be free to ask questions without being seen as hateful. There's nothing wrong with asking why someone did a horrible thing or trying to explain it.

So the mail's theory was that it was the immigrants fault. Do you thing thats acceptable because i dont.
Original post by burt.
But there's no reasonable reason for it.

That is irrelevant.

Terrorism usually isn't "reasonable".
Original post by burt.
So the mail's theory was that it was the immigrants fault. Do you thing thats acceptable because i dont.

The Mail's theory was that the terrorist hated immigrants and blamed politicians for allowing them to enter the country. To suggest that someone hating immigrants is the fault of immigrants is victim blaming. The Mail is simply stating that this terrorist was full of hate and murdered someone as a result.
Reply 32
That is irrelevant.

Terrorism usually isn't "reasonable".

But if it was the reason as to why he did it then it wouldnt be terrorism.

Id rather trust the court verdict than the DMs silly theory thank you very much

Well, I dont think it is that important to explain when the reaction is completely insane. He murdered someone.

The same way, when Muslims blow themselves up over Iraq. The reasoning might make some sense but who cares when the reaction is completely insane.

The actual isssue in both cases is facist thought process that leads people to commit the insane action.
Reply 34
Original post by burt.
But if it was the reason as to why he did it then it wouldnt be terrorism.

Id rather trust the court verdict than the DMs silly theory thank you very much

Journalism is supposed to involve an exploration of all theories. I agree with the other posters entirely that presenting a theory does not mean justifying it. To conflate the two is just silly.
Reply 35
Original post by dstam99
Journalism is supposed to involve an exploration of all theories. I agree with the other posters entirely that presenting a theory does not mean justifying it. To conflate the two is just silly.

A theory that is wholly rubbish. You seriously think that the DM picked up on something that the court didnt? Dont be stupid.
Reply 36
Original post by burt.
A theory that is wholly rubbish. You seriously think that the DM picked up on something that the court didnt? Dont be stupid.

The theory presented isn't really relevant to the court and wouldn't have changed the outcome. They are just presenting a hypothesis that only the terrorist would know were true inside his own head. Even if it is not true, I think that it is well within the Daily Mail's rights to explore it.
Reply 37
lol what an overreaction.

where are they justifying it?
Reply 38
Original post by burt.
The issue here is that we already know the reason behind this murder. It was a white nationalist who committed a terrorist attack. The DM however somehow gives us all a far fetched, bs theory with complete disregard for the formal court process and somehow manages to blame it on the immigrants.

Of course we can trust the TSR morons to defend the DM.

I'm a lefty cuck and I see nothing inherently wrong with the article. Chill your beans.
Reply 39
Original post by burt.

Original post by burt.
It sickens me that people are blaming immigrants for this.

Oh I see, you're a troll or just very dim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending