The Student Room Group

English Language GCSE 9-1 (AQA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moppet
Could you possibly show me some examples of your work please? It would really help me if I could see how you write

"I got 70 last time"
how do you honestly do that? Please give me some tips because I have tried so hard to even get 40 and have soon given up even though I have my exams in 4 months from now (KILL ME):facepalm:
what exactly do you talk about in each of the questions to be scoring very high marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have the English Literature Specimen 2 Mark Scheme?

Thanks
Original post by joeyfrazier
Here:smile:

do you have the mark scheme
Original post by joeyfrazier
Here:smile:

Do you have the mark scheme
Original post by Txhmid
I don't have my papers, the school keeps them unfortunately. I can tell you what kinds of things to write though, if you want.

Could you pm me these too x
Reply 65
Original post by Carthaginian
For me I had the city of beasts.
And for the creative writing part, the picture was off waves hitting the shore.

Was your mock about Alex and his nightmare?

The first question was a 4 marker and it asked me to list 4 things about the bird
Original post by JackT2000
Was your mock about Alex and his nightmare?

The first question was a 4 marker and it asked me to list 4 things about the bird

Same.
I got a scale 5 in that exam.
Original post by Basicdedting
What was the reading part of the exam based on (which extract?)

they give you an unseen text. for example the first page of a book.
Reply 68
does anyone have the link or know what came up on the specimen 3 paper 1 ??????
what things should i go over before tomorrow?
Reply 70
thats bs man. its language so you have to analyse loads of quotes. also focus on what a word sounds like when its spoken. even if there's a tenuous link between the word and another-write it, as examiners credit personal responses.
anyway people dont have to worry about lang. in my school you need 70/80 to get a 7, 74/80 for an 8, and 78/80 for a 9. those grade boundaries are so ridiculously high that they'll definitely be lowered.
Reply 71
Original post by Naomeyz_01
"I got 70 last time"
how do you honestly do that? Please give me some tips because I have tried so hard to even get 40 and have soon given up even though I have my exams in 4 months from now (KILL ME):facepalm:
what exactly do you talk about in each of the questions to be scoring very high marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

70 isnt that hard. you just need to be talented at the subject honestly. in my school 70 out of 80 would just get you a 7. but still practice! write essays and then adapt them for the questions
Hi all. As I know how many of you are stressing out about this part of the exam (and I don't blame you as I think both prompts are tough too), here is a bit of advice that I taught my students for years. Works a charm as well. This is taken from a short guide I've just published on Amazon, but I'm very happy to share this with you - hope it helps! (BTW the photo I was looking at was the dodgy one of the train running along the sea front that's in the practice paper. I'm sure most of you have experienced that one.)
MY FAIL-PROOF FOUR STAGE EXERCISE FOR WRITING FROM A BORING PHOTO

STEP #1: CLEAR YOUR MIND
First of all, clear your mind of any first impressions (e.g. OMG this is such a boring photo etc.).

STEP #2: GET DOWN SOME QUICK RESPONSES
Now, with a pen in your hand, write down short answers to the following on your answer paper. You can do this as a list or spider diagram. Doesn’t matter. It should only be words and phrases and can be in any order you wish:

AT LEAST five things you see, using as much detail as possible (colours, textures, adjectives and similes if they stand out), e.g. Long, grey train curving its way along the track, waves turning to foam as they hit the sea wall, a row of thin, coloured houses like coloured pencils in a box and so on. The important thing here is that this are concrete images. Say what you see.

Five things you might hear if you were there in that scene: the sound of the waves as they crash against the wall, the electric whirr of the train, the wind whistling, a baby crying from an upstairs room (remember, with writing you can hear whatever you think might be coming from this scene).

2-3 things you might smell: the salty air from the sea spray, fish and chips coming from a local shop, the sharp metallic scent of water on the railway tracks.

2-3 emotions that might be present in the scene: a tension in the air contrasting with the peace and boredom inside the train.

STEP #3: USE THESE 3 GOLDEN RULES You are now going to use these in your description. The trick here is to use these 3 golden rules:

Try to get in all the language features they examiner has been looking for in your reading analysis: adjectives, interesting noun and verb choices, similes and metaphors, original ways of describing things and so on. These will all get you the marks you need.

Think carefully about how you use different sentence lengths to generate different emotions in the reader. The best way to do this is to use longer sentences (broken with commas) for more flowing description, and shorter sentences to add impact and drama.

Paragraph. Paragraph. PARAGRAPH. I cannot stress to you how important this is. Key rule: if there is a change of place, time, subject or mood, change the paragraph (and do it by either making a clear indent in the first line of the next paragraph, or leaving a whole line between paragraphs). In the example of the above, if you move from describing the waves smashing against the wall to the sound of seagulls, change the paragraph. It is far better to have smaller paragraphs than huge long ones. Remember: you must make this easy for the exam marker to read They are your only audience. No one else. No one will EVER see this again. So make it super easy for them to read as your exam paper might be number 437 in the pile. Be nice to them!

STEP #4: JOT DOWN A PLAN Before you start to write, jot down a brief plan of how you will structure your writing. It might look something like this:

Train colour, movement, shape, tracks

Sea different colours, shapes, noise

Sky

Houses

Woman in room

Then, when you write, make sure you use the prep work you did above - what the examiner will mark you on is how well you keep the description detailed and concrete. And don't forget to use all the senses - this is why the exercise above takes you through three of them.

Good luck!
Useful thread , thanks
here are both specimen materials 3 for both English language exams with the Mark schemes.
if you have any problems reply to this message please
here are some more practice questions for English language paper 1
OMG! That's exactly what I do:smile::smile: thought it was only me that does it

Posted from TSR Mobile

how can you rely on learning an essay off by heart? The titles change every year so your story may be irrelevant for the chosen title?
Original post by saffarinda
Just for future advice, what we've done is written a story beforehand and learnt it off by heart, and we then just adapt it to the sentence starter within the exam. That way, you know you're including all the language/structure devices :biggrin:

What exam board are you with though? We need to write a full short story in AQA haha

how can you rely on learning an essay off by heart? The titles change every year so your story may be irrelevant for the chosen title?
"I got 70 last time"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a look at my blog if you haven't already: I've mapped out ways into Paper 1, and there are links to my Kindle book as well. I try to break down what the examiner is looking for with each question and give you exemplars (one way in to the writing section is posted above). Hope it helps!
examinershead.wordpress.com
Original post by ariellabenaim

That's where you have to be good at English. For me, it's pretty easy to adapt my horror story to a title or topic - it usually involves adding a line or two relating to the topic, it's never really specified that the entire story has to revolve around the prompt you're provided with, as long as you include it within your story.

If you've memorised your story, you have enough breathing time to think about how you can adapt the prompt to your own story.

I know some people who either forget their stories under the pressure of exams or prefer to just make them up on the spot - it's all personal preference, I just really like my story and enjoy adapting it more than randomly making one up tbh. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending