The Student Room Group

Epq ideas- for anyone wanting to do medicine!

Hey,
I'm in year 12 and really wanting to do medicine in the future. I study biology, chemistry, physics and maths.
These are some possible ethical topics that I am considering to an 6000 word EPQ dissertation on but I haven't yet finalized on a topic/question?

Can you guys just comment below any of the questions given below, that you think I should for an EPQ project. I am hoping to get an A star so any advice would be helpful and any suggestions or alternative questions will be much appreciated as I am really struggling to start my EPQ.

Many Thanks in advance,

To what extent can current immunological research advance cancer treatments?
What do you think of alternatives to medicine for the “treatment” of cancer?
Is it better to give healthcare/aid to impoverished countries?
What are the differences between length of life and quality of life?
Malaria?
Autism cost the UK at least 32 billion pounds a year in terms of treatments, lost earnings, care and support for children and adults with ASD. Is enough being done?
Mental illness?
Alzheimer’s/ dementia e.g. could stem cell research lead to a viable cure for Alzheimer’s
What progress have been made by healthcare system in terms of MRSA?
Embryonic stem cells and disease?
Should NHS pay for IVF treatments?
Do people with lifestyle diseases “waste” NHS resources? Should people who “give themselves” heart disease be given treatment on NHS, particularly if their treatment leads to someone “innocent” further down the waiting list not getting treatment in time? (social/economic/moral choice/dependency) e.g. smoking, drinking, drugs and obesity
For privatised healthcare system, how to make public services more efficient without damaging patient care?
Multiple sclerosis and how it affects sufferers within society?
Capacity- how it relates to medicine and why it has become increasingly important in aging population?
Women in developing countries and effect their effect of HIV/AIDS?
Medical ethics?
Should NHS fund fertility treatments for people over 40?
Socio-economic factors affecting situations in a country can affect the kind of medicine the population has access to
Disclosure of Terminal illness- would it be appropriate to hide a patient’s diagnosis of a terminal illness if only to give more hope and positivity to the patient?
Patient Demands-how appropriate is to “give in to patient demands” and treat them when they do not need it, just to keep them happy?
Confidentiality Issues- how correct is it to protect patient confidentiality when a 16-year-old demands that her pregnancy (or any other illness for that matter) not be disclosed to her parents?
Is it ethical to genetically engineer babies for designer purposes?
Should abortion be free on the NHS?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by AngelinAugustine
Hey,
I'm in year 12 and really wanting to do medicine in the future. I study biology, chemistry, physics and maths.
These are some possible ethical topics that I am considering to an 6000 word EPQ dissertation on but I haven't yet finalized on a topic/question?

Can you guys just comment below any of the questions given below, that you think I should for an EPQ project. I am hoping to get an A star so any advice would be helpful and any suggestions or alternative questions will be much appreciated as I am really struggling to start my EPQ.

Many Thanks in advance,

To what extent can current immunological research advance cancer treatments?
What do you think of alternatives to medicine for the “treatment” of cancer?
Is it better to give healthcare/aid to impoverished countries?
What are the differences between length of life and quality of life?
Malaria?
Autism cost the UK at least 32 billion pounds a year in terms of treatments, lost earnings, care and support for children and adults with ASD. Is enough being done?
Mental illness?
Alzheimer’s/ dementia e.g. could stem cell research lead to a viable cure for Alzheimer’s
What progress have been made by healthcare system in terms of MRSA?
Embryonic stem cells and disease?
Should NHS pay for IVF treatments?
Do people with lifestyle diseases “waste” NHS resources? Should people who “give themselves” heart disease be given treatment on NHS, particularly if their treatment leads to someone “innocent” further down the waiting list not getting treatment in time? (social/economic/moral choice/dependency) e.g. smoking, drinking, drugs and obesity
For privatised healthcare system, how to make public services more efficient without damaging patient care?
Multiple sclerosis and how it affects sufferers within society?
Capacity- how it relates to medicine and why it has become increasingly important in aging population?
Women in developing countries and effect their effect of HIV/AIDS?
Medical ethics?
Should NHS fund fertility treatments for people over 40?
Socio-economic factors affecting situations in a country can affect the kind of medicine the population has access to
Disclosure of Terminal illness- would it be appropriate to hide a patient’s diagnosis of a terminal illness if only to give more hope and positivity to the patient?
Patient Demands-how appropriate is to “give in to patient demands” and treat them when they do not need it, just to keep them happy?
Confidentiality Issues- how correct is it to protect patient confidentiality when a 16-year-old demands that her pregnancy (or any other illness for that matter) not be disclosed to her parents?
Is it ethical to genetically engineer babies for designer purposes?
Should abortion be free on the NHS?

I believe your first question has the greatest potential, as it combines the medicine aspect with new cutting edge science. However, it must be considerably refined to maximise EPQ marks: maybe focus on a specific type of cancer and specify as to what immonological research you are to discuss, otherwise you will find yourself with a broad overview answer with none of the depth essential for the EPQ. I am also doing a medicine related EPQ and have decided to do it on parkinsons and 21st century cures.

Do you by any chance have any EPQ examples on any topic just for a generalised comparison?
thanks
Hey,
Thank you for your advice, I kinda prefer the autism question now I just feel I can talk about it a bit more but I really want to get an A star for my EPQ. Are you going into medicine too?
Your EPQ question sounds fantastic, great potential and thank god that u have an idea what you are doing in terms of the content for ur EPQ cos I still haven't finalised.

Omg now I don't know where to get exemplar EPQs especially ones related to medicine but please if you do find any ,I would be so grateful if you let me know. My email address is [email protected]
Hopefully we can get through this medicine journey together. God luck in everything you do! God bless.
Angelin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Just curious did u ever get into medicine

Latest