The Student Room Group

how to get an A* at English literature A-level?

I'm in year 13 and it would be really helpful if I could get an A* in this subject but it seems impossible. I don't even know where to start
I'm working at about an A grade rn but don't know how to get it to an A*.
Any tips on what to study/write in the exam/focus on?
I'm doing Hamlet, A streetcar named desire, Frankenstein, the handmaids tale and a couple of sets of poetry
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
i got a C in my year 10 mock and an A* in the real thing- definitely one of the easier gcse's. Just learn chapter synopsises or overviews and relevant, reassuring themes and quotes to back them up. But in all honesty, i was pretty **** at english ( still am). Just make sure to Point, evidence, explain and then refer it back to the question, Just go through the passage given and literarily write about about anything that refer to the question ( or relevant themes). I did Jekyll and Hyde and we received a really uneventful passage but I just analysed anything and everything in the passage that backed up my point.
Original post by mayaflet
I'm in year 12 and it would be really helpful if I could get an A* in this subject but it seems impossible. I don't even know where to start
I'm working at about an A grade rn but don't know how to get it to an A*.
Any tips on what to study/write in the exam/focus on?
I'm doing Hamlet, A streetcar named desire, Frankenstein, the handmaids tale and a couple of sets of poetry

Hi there! I think the difference between the A*/A in essay based subjects is precision and intense analysis. Basically one step above the rest and a pleasure to read. The way to get to that point is to critically read reviews etc on books you're studying, and when analysing specific quotes go as deep as you can. Analysing specific words for example. So in a streetcar named desire when Stella says to Eunice 'I couldn't believe her story and go on living with him' analyse the choice of the word couldn't over don't. Little things like this will enhance your writing style!
Reply 3
Thanks! Good tips and example

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending