The Student Room Group

Can I complete 5 A-levels in one year?

Hi - I am currently in year 11 and will be doing my GCSEs soon. I have not started the A level courses yet but would be willing to work over summer to attain the highest possible grades. How should I approach my school to try and convince them? Thanks!
Why not do it over 2 years? And why 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anon125
Hi - I am currently in year 11 and will be doing my GCSEs soon. I have not started the A level courses yet but would be willing to work over summer to attain the highest possible grades. How should I approach my school to try and convince them? Thanks!

There's a reason this isn't recommended. I chose to do 4 and it's a huge workload. I wouldn't ever recommend doing 5; go safe and do 4 because trying to balance all 5 will prove to be very difficult. You'd rather get 4 decent grades than 5 disappointing grades and it doesn't put you at an advantage when you're applying for uni, so there's really no point in doing 5 and stressing yourself out. It's a huge jump from GCSE
Been there don't do it OP, don't do it. Read my personal blog I've written about my experience on this there. PM me I'll send you the link if you're interested
Reply 4
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Why not do it over 2 years? And why 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I would like to go to uni early, and I find it easy to learn some things, so feel it would be beneficial
Original post by anon125
Because I would like to go to uni early, and I find it easy to learn some things, so feel it would be beneficial

I doubt unis would give you any sort of offers when you just have GCSE's grades to hand, and the fact that you have to literally apply within a month of the school year for oxbridge/medicine and a few more months for other unis.
Reply 6
Original post by Welshstig
I doubt unis would give you any sort of offers when you just have GCSE's grades to hand, and the fact that you have to literally apply within a month of the school year for oxbridge/medicine and a few more months for other unis.
Due to the A-level reforms, all the exams are taken at the end of the second year. This would place me in the same position as everyone else doing a levels at the time
Original post by anon125

I think if you had already completed say 1-2 A Levels already before you're in year 12 and did another 3 in year 12 then you'd get offers etc and would seem realistic but honestly, if amazing students struggle with 5A Levels over the course of 2 years then 1 year would would be extremely difficult! Don't get me wrong, you could be the next Einstein and be able to smash the 5 A Levels but I think it's way too risky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anon125
Due to the A-level reforms, all the exams are taken at the end of the second year. This would place me in the same position as everyone else doing a levels at the time

I would say your school won't let you - how can they predict grades for you when you'll have been studying them for a month or so? My school doesn't let anyone take 5 now over two years owing to the workload and new specs.

Going to uni early is not fun as there are so many things you can't access until you are 18 - and I don't just mean pubs.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I think if you had already completed say 1-2 A Levels already before you're in year 12 and did another 3 in year 12 then you'd get offers etc and would seem realistic but honestly, if amazing students struggle with 5A Levels over the course of 2 years then 1 year would would be extremely difficult! Don't get me wrong, you could be the next Einstein and be able to smash the 5 A Levels but I think it's way too risky!

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^This

Would really recommend doing 2 in the first year and 2 in the second year (5 REALLY isn't recommended unless it's the maths, further maths and 3 other subjects combo). Or you could do 4 subjects over 2 years. What subjects are you thinking of and what course at uni would you like to do?
Original post by anon125

But you need predicted grades.
Reply 11
I really don't recommend this in only a year. I would only advise 4 but if your a quick learner and your willing to work hard then I'm sure you'll do well. But don't rush your education and make the most of it.
Well hang on, what do you think you're gonna get at GCSE?
Original post by Edward1612
hi ben
please accept the friend request from "Edward Thomson" on facebook. that's me, Edward.
ta,
Edward
ps also can you tell some of my former friends (e.g. emma little) not to be concerned about my friend requests bc that's me. you could message them or smth.

ok

Quick Reply

Latest