The Student Room Group

44% get A*-C in GCSE Maths and English, how can 50% go to uni?

"Whilst I congratulate all the hard working students on their results it is clear that only 44% of pupils at state schools achieved 5 good A* - C GCSEs including Maths and English.

Surely this makes a mockery of the target of 50% of these pupils going on to university in two years time.
Only 44% are numerate and literature!"

From times online- reader

Yet another example of how stupid this target is!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
44% + the public school pass rates and there you get 50% +.
surely?

:ninja:
Reply 2
Is the target 50% of state schoolers in teritary level education or 50% of all students?

EDIT: I'm with abrp.
Reply 3
Huh? And I thought GCSE's are getting "easier". Aren't everyone getting A's or A*'s
Reply 4
they probably dont necessarily do degrees
Reply 5
Seriously? Only 44%? I've lost faith in our schooling system, right here and now!
Reply 6
Well only 20% of people got 5 A*-C grades at my old school....and generally where i live people do pretty poorly so that figure wouldn't surprise me too much as i'm sure there are much worse underperforming areas.
Reply 7
Maths :afraid:

I really don't get the point in the exams getting easier argument. :frown:
Reply 8
Some people just aren't as clever or as motivated as others. Sadly it's just the way it works.

True they shouldn't be going to university though.
Reply 9
The Government wants 50% of the students who do A-Levels to go to university. The majority of these students therefore (probably 80%) will have 5A*-C including Mathematics and English
"44% are numerate and literate"
I only got 4 A*-C's and Im certainly not illiterate. It depends a hell of alot on the teaching you get. Whilst I was doing my GCSE's 4 years ago the school I was at was under special measures from OFSTED, because basically none of the teachers really gave a crap, and most of the kids were running wild. Its actually now being changed into one of those academies so it doesnt have to shut down! There was only actually about 8 people out of 200 in my school year that got 5+ A*-C's. Luckily I changed schools when it came to doing my A-levels and got decent grades. Granted, I achieved good grades in maths and english, but Im quite offended that because I didnt achieve 5 A*-C's that some people would think I dont deserve to go to University. I cant speak for everyone, but in my case its more complicated than whether I was 'clever or motivated' :rolleyes:
Eau
Huh? And I thought GCSE's are getting "easier". Aren't everyone getting A's or A*'s

youre confusing the general population of the United Kingdom with that of TSR.
Lolly-88
Well only 20% of people got 5 A*-C grades at my old school....and generally where i live people do pretty poorly so that figure wouldn't surprise me too much as i'm sure there are much worse underperforming areas.

did u not cum up as quite posh in the how posh is ur surname thread?
you are aware, that you do NOT need a A*-C in English, Maths or Science to get a degree you know.

Many universities, including such universities like UCL, do not require such GCSE qualifications (only A- Levels are reviewed) for certain courses.
Yea thank god some Universities realise that GCSE's arent the be all and end all, as long as you get your A-levels then it shouldnt matter too much to be honest :s-smilie:
Reply 15
To be honest, if kids dont want to get a good grade, they wont. They need to be instilled with good effort and work ethics early on (i.e. in the first few years of primary school). I found that nearly all the trouble makers/loud mouths in primary school stayed that way and got poorer grades then the well behaved students. Obviously there are exceptions, but once a student has taken the rebel path its very hard to get them back online.
Reply 16
BluesMan
To be honest, if kids dont want to get a good grade, they wont. They need to be instilled with good effort and work ethics early on (i.e. in the first few years of primary school). I found that nearly all the trouble makers/loud mouths in primary school stayed that way and got poorer grades then the well behaved students. Obviously there are exceptions, but once a student has taken the rebel path its very hard to get them back online.

Agreed. GCSEs and A-levels are 90% determination and 10% innate intelligence. If kids want to do well and they apply it to their work, they'll do well. Good work ethics need to be cultivated more.
prettygreeneyes99
"44% are numerate and literate"
I only got 4 A*-C's and Im certainly not illiterate. It depends a hell of alot on the teaching you get. Whilst I was doing my GCSE's 4 years ago the school I was at was under special measures from OFSTED, because basically none of the teachers really gave a crap, and most of the kids were running wild. Its actually now being changed into one of those academies so it doesnt have to shut down! There was only actually about 8 people out of 200 in my school year that got 5+ A*-C's. Luckily I changed schools when it came to doing my A-levels and got decent grades. Granted, I achieved good grades in maths and english, but Im quite offended that because I didnt achieve 5 A*-C's that some people would think I dont deserve to go to University. I cant speak for everyone, but in my case its more complicated than whether I was 'clever or motivated' :rolleyes:

Did you only TAKE 4 GCSEs, or did you take more and fail the rest?

If the latter, then I'm afraid, the problem is not your teachers. If you can't even manage to get 5 decent GCSEs, how do you expect to pass a degree?

you are aware, that you do NOT need a A*-C in English, Maths or Science to get a degree you know.

Many universities, including such universities like UCL, do not require such GCSE qualifications (only A- Levels are reviewed) for certain courses.

But, almost all degrees require the skills learned in GCSE English, Maths, or Science.

If you can't even get a C in GCSE English, you can't write a university-level essay.
more adventurous
Did you only TAKE 4 GCSEs, or did you take more and fail the rest?

If the latter, then I'm afraid, the problem is not your teachers. If you can't even manage to get 5 decent GCSEs, how do you expect to expect to pass a degree?

But, almost all degrees require the skills learned in GCSE English, Maths, or Science.

If you can't even get a C in GCSE English, you can't write a university-level essay.

you've answered it yourself, ALMOST all, not all. If someone has rather mediocre GCSE's but manages to get an AAAA or AAAB in their A-levels, then Universities will take these grades and the overall extra curricular/personality elements into consideration.
What percentage of students who get less than 5 A-Cs at GCSE get AAAA at A-level? .001% maybe?

Latest

Trending

Trending