Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "Whilst I congratulate all the hard working students on their results it is clear that only 44% of pupils at state schools achieved 5 good A* - C GCSEs including Maths and English.

Surely this makes a mockery of the target of 50% of these pupils going on to university in two years time.
    Only 44% are numerate and literature!"

From times online- reader

Yet another example of how stupid this target is!

ReputationRep:
    44% + the public school pass rates and there you get 50% +.
    surely?

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Is the target 50% of state schoolers in teritary level education or 50% of all students?

EDIT: I'm with abrp.

Huh? And I thought GCSE's are getting "easier". Aren't everyone getting A's or A*'s

ReputationRep:
    they probably dont necessarily do degrees

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Only 44%? I've lost faith in our schooling system, right here and now!

ReputationRep:
    Well only 20% of people got 5 A*-C grades at my old school....and generally where i live people do pretty poorly so that figure wouldn't surprise me too much as i'm sure there are much worse underperforming areas.

ReputationRep:
    Maths :afraid:

I really don't get the point in the exams getting easier argument.

ReputationRep:
    Some people just aren't as clever or as motivated as others. Sadly it's just the way it works.

True they shouldn't be going to university though.

ReputationRep:
    The Government wants 50% of the students who do A-Levels to go to university. The majority of these students therefore (probably 80%) will have 5A*-C including Mathematics and English

ReputationRep:
    "44% are numerate and literate"
    I only got 4 A*-C's and Im certainly not illiterate. It depends a hell of alot on the teaching you get. Whilst I was doing my GCSE's 4 years ago the school I was at was under special measures from OFSTED, because basically none of the teachers really gave a crap, and most of the kids were running wild. Its actually now being changed into one of those academies so it doesnt have to shut down! There was only actually about 8 people out of 200 in my school year that got 5+ A*-C's. Luckily I changed schools when it came to doing my A-levels and got decent grades. Granted, I achieved good grades in maths and english, but Im quite offended that because I didnt achieve 5 A*-C's that some people would think I dont deserve to go to University. I cant speak for everyone, but in my case its more complicated than whether I was 'clever or motivated' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eau)
    Huh? And I thought GCSE's are getting "easier". Aren't everyone getting A's or A*'s
    youre confusing the general population of the United Kingdom with that of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolly-88)
    Well only 20% of people got 5 A*-C grades at my old school....and generally where i live people do pretty poorly so that figure wouldn't surprise me too much as i'm sure there are much worse underperforming areas.
    did u not *** up as quite posh in the how posh is ur surname thread?

ReputationRep:
    you are aware, that you do NOT need a A*-C in English, Maths or Science to get a degree you know.

Many universities, including such universities like UCL, do not require such GCSE qualifications (only A- Levels are reviewed) for certain courses.

ReputationRep:
    Yea thank god some Universities realise that GCSE's arent the be all and end all, as long as you get your A-levels then it shouldnt matter too much to be honest

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if kids dont want to get a good grade, they wont. They need to be instilled with good effort and work ethics early on (i.e. in the first few years of primary school). I found that nearly all the trouble makers/loud mouths in primary school stayed that way and got poorer grades then the well behaved students. Obviously there are exceptions, but once a student has taken the rebel path its very hard to get them back online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BluesMan)
    To be honest, if kids dont want to get a good grade, they wont. They need to be instilled with good effort and work ethics early on (i.e. in the first few years of primary school). I found that nearly all the trouble makers/loud mouths in primary school stayed that way and got poorer grades then the well behaved students. Obviously there are exceptions, but once a student has taken the rebel path its very hard to get them back online.
    Agreed. GCSEs and A-levels are 90% determination and 10% innate intelligence. If kids want to do well and they apply it to their work, they'll do well. Good work ethics need to be cultivated more.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
    "44% are numerate and literate"
    I only got 4 A*-C's and Im certainly not illiterate. It depends a hell of alot on the teaching you get. Whilst I was doing my GCSE's 4 years ago the school I was at was under special measures from OFSTED, because basically none of the teachers really gave a crap, and most of the kids were running wild. Its actually now being changed into one of those academies so it doesnt have to shut down! There was only actually about 8 people out of 200 in my school year that got 5+ A*-C's. Luckily I changed schools when it came to doing my A-levels and got decent grades. Granted, I achieved good grades in maths and english, but Im quite offended that because I didnt achieve 5 A*-C's that some people would think I dont deserve to go to University. I cant speak for everyone, but in my case its more complicated than whether I was 'clever or motivated' :rolleyes:
    Did you only TAKE 4 GCSEs, or did you take more and fail the rest?

If the latter, then I'm afraid, the problem is not your teachers. If you can't even manage to get 5 decent GCSEs, how do you expect to pass a degree?

you are aware, that you do NOT need a A*-C in English, Maths or Science to get a degree you know.

Many universities, including such universities like UCL, do not require such GCSE qualifications (only A- Levels are reviewed) for certain courses.
    But, almost all degrees require the skills learned in GCSE English, Maths, or Science.

If you can't even get a C in GCSE English, you can't write a university-level essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    Did you only TAKE 4 GCSEs, or did you take more and fail the rest?

If the latter, then I'm afraid, the problem is not your teachers. If you can't even manage to get 5 decent GCSEs, how do you expect to expect to pass a degree?

But, almost all degrees require the skills learned in GCSE English, Maths, or Science.

If you can't even get a C in GCSE English, you can't write a university-level essay.
    you've answered it yourself, ALMOST all, not all. If someone has rather mediocre GCSE's but manages to get an AAAA or AAAB in their A-levels, then Universities will take these grades and the overall extra curricular/personality elements into consideration.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What percentage of students who get less than 5 A-Cs at GCSE get AAAA at A-level? .001% maybe?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.