The Student Room Group

The Law Lpc

Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has studied law or is currently studying law knows how difficult it is to get a place on the Lpc, and also which uni offers the best course.
Reply 1
Thanks thats good to hear, also once you have completed this you are a qualified solicitor then?
Original post by J-SP
It's ridiculously easy to get on an LPC course as long as you have either a law degree or an undergraduate degree + GDL.

It's a pretty standardised course, so it's going to come down to your location preferences and teaching standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Would you say the training contracts are difficult to get hold of? Also could you please tell me more about the SQE?
Original post by J-SP
No. You then complete a two year training contract before qualifying.

Although this is as it stands. The qualification process including the LPC is currently being reviewed and might be replaced with a new system called the SQE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Did you manage to get a contract and if so what were the requirements? (if you don't mind me asking?) and also if you done internships through the university would this not be useful?
Original post by J-SP
Yes, very difficult. There's only around 5500 a year and standards are incredibly high.

It's too complicated to explain the SQE, especially as it is not even confirmed yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Only going to start my law degree next year, if you used to recruit in the legal sector do you look for Russel group candidates from the likes of the following universities queens Belfast, Newcastle, Liverpool, Exeter how would a degree in law rate from these uni's be regarded?

Original post by J-SP
No - I used to recruit in the legal sector though.

Internships are very important. Not sure what stage you are at, but I'd recommend reading up about this more. Websites like lawyer2b, lawcareers.net and targetjobs law will help give you a better understanding of what is required and how best to improve your chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Also, do you take A-levels into a huge accout it's just I decided on taking a BTEC double health and social care grades D*D, a A grade in ICT and a B grade in English literature AS level. I fear the choice of taking on a BTEC will hinder my opportunities against fierce competition?
Reply 6
So basically they don't mind what a levels you have? Also, when you say you recruited for the legal sector was it for a specific firm in London?

Original post by J-SP
A lot of firms require somewhere between 300-360 UCAS points. As long as you achieve that you will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Will the SQE be more difficult to get on to? Also, could you give me a list of all the things a London firm looks for when recruiting their candidates and give examples of how they set better candidates apart from others?
Reply 8
Ok thank-you, I assume the London firms would require a 2:1 in order to be considered? I also have a relative who is the chief executive for EE, would this be regarded as valuable work experience? So far I have got work experience in a small town practice and spent a day in court which I spoke about on my UCAS application form.
Reply 9
Ok thank-you for all your help.
Original post by J-SP
Yes, you will really need a 2.1. The stronger your percentage and individual module grades, the better.

Work experience gained by nepotism won't be great. It will be better to find work experience through proper applications.

Seriously, it's pretty easy to find this all out. Go and read something like this: http://digitaledition.thelawyer.com/L2B-Summer-issue/html5/index.html?page=1

One of the key skills of being a lawyer is you finding out the answer, rather than expecting to be told it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending