The Student Room Group

Accounting: Local vs University

Long story short; I compared the costs and the reasons why I was wanting to go to university and it made me eventually consider different paths. I currently work a part-time job in a local accountants office and I am unsure whether to pursue that and save the (rough estimate considering all costs) £50,000 debt I would gather over the period of going to university.

Now, here's the question, is becoming an 'unqualified' accountant so different to one say with an AAT qualification? I've heard from a few people from the accounting background that experience goes miles further than the qualification in terms of getting a job in the future.
Reply 1
I decided to go to university and study accounting, after a three year degree course, I only earned my self basic tier 1 level exemptions for ACA, I earned for for ACCA but I am in a lot of student debt (around the figure you've quoted).

Regardless of a degree, to become and accountant you will need professional qualifications (ACA or ACCA).

AAT is a professional qualification but i would say it is equivalent to A-level Accounting & first year UNiversity in terms of knowledge, the advantage you have here is that you would have work experience. After AAT you can go into professional exams.

I don't want to go into too much detail so I will cut this short. If you go to university, you will have a lot more time and freedom to study, you will have easy access to information at convenient times, there will be less pressure during revesion as you won't be working. Taking this route will mean you may take 1-2 years longer to become fully qualified but you will enjoy yourself whilst you are in uni, however you will be in a lot of student debt.

If you decide to go through AAT and go straight into professional exams, you may find it harder because you will be working whilst studying. So you will most probably spend your weekends studying and you will have no social life during most of the time. But you will not have debt and you will probably be 1-2 years ahead of those who take the other route, you will have a secured job with a decent salary and you will qualify much sooner. Just depends on which route you would rather take. You will get to where you want regardless of which route you take.
Reply 2
Original post by tas1605
Long story short; I compared the costs and the reasons why I was wanting to go to university and it made me eventually consider different paths. I currently work a part-time job in a local accountants office and I am unsure whether to pursue that and save the (rough estimate considering all costs) £50,000 debt I would gather over the period of going to university.

Now, here's the question, is becoming an 'unqualified' accountant so different to one say with an AAT qualification? I've heard from a few people from the accounting background that experience goes miles further than the qualification in terms of getting a job in the future.

You certainly don't need to go to university to be an accountant but the lack of an accountancy qualification will limit your career prospects. Why don't you consider studying AAT while working at your present job? Depending upon your age/circumstances there may be funding available or you could look at the apprenticeship route with your present employer. Experience alongside a qualification will make you very marketable. Once you are AAT qualified you can look at ACA or ACCA if you wish.

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending