The Student Room Group

Bachelors or masters?? Advice needed from current students!

Hello!

I have recieved offers to study mental health nursing from 2 of my choices but I'm struggling to make a decision.

The masters is 2 years instead of 3 but the placements will be a lot further from me

The bachelors is 3 years and also feels strange studying a bachelors again but the placements are local to me.

Those on the course, would you choose to do it in 2 years instead of 3 but travel further for placements or be local and study for 3?

I had a good vibe from both university's!

Thank you for reading :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Christinaaa
Hello!

I have recieved offers to study mental health nursing from 2 of my choices but I'm struggling to make a decision.

The masters is 2 years instead of 3 but the placements will be a lot further from me

The bachelors is 3 years and also feels strange studying a bachelors again but the placements are local to me.

Those on the course, would you choose to do it in 2 years instead of 3 but travel further for placements or be local and study for 3?

Christinaaa.

You are the only person who can decide on where to do the masters or bsc degree for mental health nursing.

But saying that if you are happy to do every local to your home then definitely do the BSC degree course over the three years. You won't earn more money if you do Masters over 2 years or the BSC over the 3 years as you start at bottom of band 5 payscale for all newly qualified nursing staff.

I would do the 3 years course if it means staying local rather than travelling for upto a hour and half each way perhaps as this adds more time to a long enough day when doing a 12/13 hour shift.

I did bsc midwifery over the 3 years of the course and unfortunately I had to move over to the other side of my own country of the UK because of the starting time for dayshift meant that I would have to leave my own city around 5am ( plus add on time to get to the train or bus station). And catch bus at the other end then you have the same thing for going back home and wasn't practical especially if you are working again the following day.
Original post by Christinaaa
Hello!

Hey @Christinaaa

Firstly, well done on getting not one, but two offers for Mental Health Nursing! This is actually a super exciting decision for you!

My biggest piece of advice would be to look into the career avenues of a bachelors vs. master's. Maybe look up alumni from the universities you are choosing between, and check out if the unis have a 'Chat to Student' feature (often called Unibuddy) so you can ask current students about their experiences.

Also, consider where the placements are, you may have to pay to stay further away, but if you think those placements will benefit you more than a closer one, or help teach you more valuable skills in the field/personal skills such as confidence and taking risks, then go for that!

As I said, this is super exciting for you, and like the other reply says, only you know the right decision, however take your time and really consider which option will push your skills and abilities most to enable to you be the best Mental Health Nurse you can be 😊

Good luck and sending you best wishes!
~ Amelia, University of Plymouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending