The Student Room Group

CURRENT YEAR 11s !!!!

Wanted a place for all the UK Year 11s to gather and talk about the upcoming exams. After all, we are obvs the special group doing both the number and letter grades.

How are you guys finding revision; how often do you revise per day/week??

What's your best subject? Whats the worst?-- deffo English right.

(djksmdkmdlosmskdkdkdldldsm..... for English there's 3 literature books (closed book exams) and 15 poems... all that we have to learn thoroughly)

What's your best revision strategy? How are finding the year? [ + many other questions but cba]

Anywho,reply to how you're finding the year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

struggling in English and maths
Reply 2
Hi, Im Hazel,

Im attempting to do two hours of revision a day minimum! Im most concerned about my triple science GCSEs but I am super happy with my current progression Spanish!

Year 11 is incredibly stressful!

:smile:
why are so many yr 11s stressed, its just exams jheez, if you revised and are prepared thoroughly, why stress?
Reply 4
Original post by CraigBackner
why are so many yr 11s stressed, its just exams jheez, if you revised and are prepared thoroughly, why stress?

Its because the results are important to us! I don't think all stress is bad; it just shows we care.
I'm not too stressed - currently doing mocks (Have 2 more exams and then a spanish oral and then I'm done :smile: )
I'm not too worried about english anymore because I found I could easily write essays in the exams with little revision (except for my whole text which I learnt quotes for)
What texts is everybody doing for English Lit?
I'm doing Merchant of Venice, A View From the Bridge, and Silas Marner
Original post by koala789
I'm not too stressed - currently doing mocks (Have 2 more exams and then a spanish oral and then I'm done :smile: )
I'm not too worried about english anymore because I found I could easily write essays in the exams with little revision (except for my whole text which I learnt quotes for)
What texts is everybody doing for English Lit?
I'm doing Merchant of Venice, A View From the Bridge, and Silas Marner

Lucky... English is stressing me out!! How do you structure your essays?

and I'm doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol

I don't think anybody chooses to be stressed :/ and it matters- it just does.
Original post by Hazelac
Hi, Im Hazel,

Im attempting to do two hours of revision a day minimum! Im most concerned about my triple science GCSEs but I am super happy with my current progression Spanish!

Year 11 is incredibly stressful!

:smile:

How do you structure your revision??

If you're struggling with science, I recommend summarising each page of your revision guide onto one side of a flash card. For my last year's bio and chem exams, I made online notes, again, using the revision guides for each slide and i managed to get an A and A* but that may not work for you so good luck :smile:
Original post by Overthinking
Lucky... English is stressing me out!! How do you structure your essays?

and I'm doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol

This is my notes for my extract essay structure for Shakespeare (could work for other texts too, but play oriented)

I do the standard;
Intro
PEEZL 1
PEEZL 2
PEEZL 3
Conclude (adding an extra new point to the conclusion can get you an extra mark apparently)

Btw, PEEZL stands for Point Evidence Explain Zoom Link if you haven't heard of it before :smile:
I'm not sure if it's only my school that uses that structure or if other people have heard of it too lol
Hey so I'm not a year 11 (at least I don't think), I'm 5th year (Scottish 12th?)

Anyways, I was just wondering how many subjects you guys sit in year 11? Last year I sat 8 National 5s, but I think it's been taken down to 6 for the new 5th years.

This year (5th) I'm sitting 5 Highers, how many A-Levels will you be doing? Also, how many classes of each subject do you get a week and do you do compulsory classes like R.M.E, S.E., P.E. ect.

Thank you, just curious about the differences between scottish and english education :smile:
This is my notes for my extract essay structure for Shakespeare (could work for other texts too, but play oriented)

I do the standard;
Intro
PEEZL 1
PEEZL 2
PEEZL 3
Conclude (adding an extra new point to the conclusion can get you an extra mark apparently)

Btw, PEEZL stands for Point Evidence Explain Zoom Link if you haven't heard of it before :smile:
I'm not sure if it's only my school that uses that structure or if other people have heard of it too lol

Interesting, the 'zoom' bit makes things clearer to me for some reason 😂, i think i'll include that in our one. My teacher found this online: PETER

Point, Evidence, Technique, Explain and Reader.
Honestly, i didn't understand the emphasis on 'technique' until this year. So if you pick out evidence that seems to have no obvious technique like alliteration, mentioning if the word is a verb or noun, adverb etc helps i think.
Original post by fergijane88
Hey so I'm not a year 11 (at least I don't think), I'm 5th year (Scottish 12th?)

Anyways, I was just wondering how many subjects you guys sit in year 11? Last year I sat 8 National 5s, but I think it's been taken down to 6 for the new 5th years.

This year (5th) I'm sitting 5 Highers, how many A-Levels will you be doing? Also, how many classes of each subject do you get a week and do you do compulsory classes like R.M.E, S.E., P.E. ect.

Thank you, just curious about the differences between scottish and english education :smile:

Hey,
I'm scottish but live in London and my friend just did his Nat5's last summer (he did 9 but mentioned that most people do more like 6)
Most people do 10-13 GCSEs I'd say (or atleast on TSR)
But others can do as few as 7 I believe.
At my school we have 9 35min periods a day, with each science getting 3 periods a week + 1 period of HSW (how science works), english & maths 5 each, languages/humanities/other choices 4 each.
We also get 2 periods of this programme called enricment (basically compulsory extracurricular) but mosts schools dont do that.
Then we get 1 period of PSHE, and 2 periods of PE.
Hope that makes some sense!
My mum went to school and uni in scotland, and said that normally you finish a year younger in scotland, but instead cover the years difference to England in the first month or so at Scottish Unis.
My mum says that it's basically England trying to make it diffucult for Scots to study down south by throwing them in the deep end if they go to an English Uni because they'd be a year younger than the English, and have a gap in knoledge from being so much younger.
It's all a bit confusing lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Interesting, the 'zoom' bit makes things clearer to me for some reason 😂, i think i'll include that in our one. My teacher found this online: PETER

Point, Evidence, Technique, Explain and Reader.
Honestly, i didn't understand the emphasis on 'technique' until this year. So if you pick out evidence that seems to have no obvious technique like alliteration, mentioning if the word is a verb or noun, adverb etc helps i think.

Yeah, that would make sense. Aim to try and get atleast a couple techinical words in per paragraph!
Original post by fergijane88

We're doing 10 GCSEs but it can change from schools to school. Compulsory subjects are obviously english and maths, but other compulsory subjects depend o n the school. For example: my school is a christian church so Religious Edication is compuslsory as part of the school curriculum.

For A-levels, there are no xompulsory classes (apart from english and maths if you get less than a grade C (pass)). Usually you pick three courses, but I'm gonna pick four.
This is my notes for my extract essay structure for Shakespeare

Omg!!

Thank you so much! That pdf file you sent is extremely helpful!!!
Hey,
I'm scottish but live in London and my friend just did his Nat5's last summer (he did 9 but mentioned that most people do more like 6)
Most people do 10-13 GCSEs I'd say (or atleast on TSR)
But others can do as few as 7 I believe.
At my school we have 9 35min periods a day, with each science getting 3 periods a week + 1 period of HSW (how science works), english & maths 5 each, languages/humanities/other choices 4 each.
We also get 2 periods of this programme called enricment (basically compulsory extracurricular) but mosts schools dont do that.
Then we get 1 period of PSHE, and 2 periods of PE.
Hope that makes some sense!
My mum went to school and uni in scotland, and said that normally you finish a year younger in scotland, but instead cover the years difference to England in the first month or so at Scottish Unis.
My mum says that it's basically England trying to make it diffucult for Scots to study down south by throwing them in the deep end if they go to an English Uni because they'd be a year younger than the English, and have a gap in knoledge from being so much younger.
It's all a bit confusing lol

Jeez! That's pretty different from us:biggrin:
We have 6 55minute classes a day, last year it was 3 a week for each chosen subject, 4 for english and maths, and 1 each of compulsory SE and RME and 2 for compulsory PE
This year it's a double every morning (2x55 mins) and another 4 classes after break. 5(one of which is a double) classes of each of your subjects a week, no compulsory classes.
Never knew there was such a difference lol! Thanks:smile:
[QUOTE="Overthinking;69540372"]
This is my notes for my extract essay structure for Shakespeare

Omg!!

Thank you so much! That pdf file you sent is extremely helpful!!!

No problem. Let me know if you need any structure tips/ notes for English lang (but stracture might not apply as I do CIE which could be different to you)

Also, for lit, my teacher told me to remeber to have 25% of your extarct essay about the rest of the text (even if it's just linking to themes & motifs or if it's unique staging/ speech compared to how X normally appears)

Its easier said than done as humans were wired that way, and there have been a lot of cases where students who get high grades during mocks can actually get low in the real thing, plus for English and Maths Year 11s are the first to do the more challenging GCSEs and so its kinda a fear of the unkown thing.

Plus keep in mind a lot of people have family and friends they might not want to let down also wanting to meet grade requirements to do the A-Level courses they want to do.

It's kinda ignorant when people say "It's just exams" because you're not currently in their situation you're looking at it externally. Although thankfully many teachers dont have this mindset and understand that they shouldn't undermine the situatiom.
Original post by Popsiclez
Its easier said than done as humans were wired that way, and there have been a lot of cases where students who get high grades during mocks can actually get low in the real thing, plus for English and Maths Year 11s are the first to do the more challenging GCSEs and so its kinda a fear of the unkown thing.

Plus keep in mind a lot of people have family and friends they might not want to let down also wanting to meet grade requirements to do the A-Level courses they want to do.

It's kinda ignorant when people say "It's just exams" because you're not currently in their situation you're looking at it externally. Although thankfully many teachers dont have this mindset and understand that they shouldn't undermine the situatiom.

I don't think anybody chooses to be stressed :/ and it matters- it just does.

Original post by Hazelac
Its because the results are important to us! I don't think all stress is bad; it just shows we care.

@Popsiclez i can say its just exams, becauses its literally just exams, I'm also in yr 11 doing the new gcse maths and english, but I'm not stressed one bit. people just overthink it too much, if you've already revised and done past papers theres nothing to worry

Quick Reply

Latest