The Student Room Group

What to do at A-Level

I have already applied to the college I want to go however i'm still not sure and what subjects I am going to be taking. These are the ones I have in mind:
- Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Economics

I'm sure that i'm taking Maths and Further Maths however I don't know what to take for the other. I don't know much about economics and just wondering if anyone actually taking these subjects have any input. I may be taking 4 but i'm still not sure.
Reply 1
It depends on what you want to do in university.

If you want to study maths, pick any of these.

If you want to study computer science, pick anything, albeit physics may be more relevant.

If you want to study chemistry, pick chemistry.

If you want to study physics or engineering, pick physics.

If you want to study economics, pick economics.

If you want to study chemical engineering or chemical physics, pick both physics and chemistry.

If you have no idea what you want to do in university, pick which one seems like you would do better in it.
Maths Further Maths Chemistry and Physics will give you the most range in options since universities dont require economics for you to do economics, maths and furthermaths are good enough. Chemistry and physics will allow you to do all physical sciences/engineering too.
Reply 3
Original post by potassiumnitrate
Maths Further Maths Chemistry and Physics will give you the most range in options since universities dont require economics for you to do economics, maths and furthermaths are good enough. Chemistry and physics will allow you to do all physical sciences/engineering too.

Do you take 4 or 3 A-Levels?
Original post by Gillsterino
Do you take 4 or 3 A-Levels?

I take four, totally not biased because I'm doing maths further maths chemistry and physics though........
Reply 5
Original post by potassiumnitrate
I take four, totally not biased because I'm doing maths further maths chemistry and physics though........

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Gillsterino
:smile:

More or less unbiased person who took 4 essay-based humanities and social science AS-levels (my only science was psychology). I would also recommend the mix the other person mentioned since it does indeed open the most doors, but if you want to study economics in university, it would be good to take it at A-level so you can show an understanding of it ahead of your peers. Otherwise, I would recommend picking maths, further maths, chemistry, and physics too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest