The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uzzzzzz
Hey!

I wanted to ask if you came across ACE GAMSAT and if its worth using it?
Also do you know if those Des PDFs are still available? They seem pretty useful.

Thanks!!

You should be able to get Des PDFs on ebay at a pretty good price. Don't spend more than 30 on it.

Never came across ACE GAMSAT.
Original post by blessedbytheone
Hello Osiris, I wanted to ask about the GAMSAT, I am looking to undertake the exam on September 2017. I am a novice and I have no idea of where to start. I have read your review and I am thinking about purchasing the items. I come from a Science background so Biology and Chemistry (in my undergrad degree), however I did not touch physics since GCSEs. How would I be able to obtain information regarding what would come up like a syllabus of the exam or would I need to register for that? Sorry for the weird questions. Thanks!

http://www.gamsat.ie/

Although I didn't go on their course, I used that link and they have detailed 'syllabus' outlines for each of the subjects.

It's rather in depth, otherwise the Griffith Review covers it pretty well from a macro level. The physics is quite little tbh, and pretty straight forward.

Given your background, I would worry about the preceding two sections. Have a go at the Griffith Review practice paper for sections 1 and 2, and if you are not good at the two sections, I think it would be a waste of money sitting the exam in September.
Reply 22
Hi are those materials still up for sell Osiris?
All, available, I've managed to get my hands on other PDFs as well (the whole Des O'Neill set) and much more.
Reply 24
how much are you selling them for ?

Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
All, available, I've managed to get my hands on other PDFs as well (the whole Des O'Neill set) and much more.
Original post by nadia5b
how much are you selling them for ?

I've posted a message on your profile.
Hi Osiris,

I'm hoping to do the September Gamsat and I have biology knowledge and am okay with sections 1 & 2, but I haven't done chemistry (physical/ general chemistry) or physics in over 6 years. Do you think I have enough time to brush up on it all in time for September to get a decent mark? I've got a copy of Des O Neill manual and question bank from 2009 but I think the questions there are designed for use with a calculator. What's the latest updated one please? And how much have the questions and materials changed? Mental maths is not my strongest point too. Thanks,
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sail3121
Hi Osiris,

I'm hoping to do the September Gamsat and I have biology knowledge and am okay with sections 1 & 2, but I haven't done chemistry (physical/ general chemistry) or physics in over 6 years. Do you think I have enough time to brush up on it all in time for September to get a decent mark? I've got a copy of Des O Neill manual and question bank from 2009 but I think the questions there are designed for use with a calculator. What's the latest updated one please? And how much have the questions and materials changed? Mental maths is not my strongest point too. Thanks,

Hi, I simply do not have sufficient information to say whether you have enough time until September. I don't think you do given that chemistry is a very significant component of the GAMSAT.

I would do an acer paper and mark yourself. Regarding the questions, if the mental maths is excessive, use a calculator, I haven't come across an updated des o'neil with no calculator mental arithmetic.
Hi, I simply do not have sufficient information to say whether you have enough time until September. I don't think you do given that chemistry is a very significant component of the GAMSAT.
I would do an acer paper and mark yourself. Regarding the questions, if the mental maths is excessive, use a calculator, I haven't come across an updated des o'neil with no calculator mental arithmetic.

Thanks Osiris,

Really appreciate your help on that. I think I'm just struggling with the physics and physical chemistry calcs rather than the organic chemistry. Also am not great with mental maths, other than those things I am ok on everything else I think but not sure if it's enough and if I am alright for timing for picking up physical chem and physics during this time. How much pure calc and maths based questions did they have at your sitting?
Original post by Sail3121
Thanks Osiris,

Really appreciate your help on that. I think I'm just struggling with the physics and physical chemistry calcs rather than the organic chemistry. Also am not great with mental maths, other than those things I am ok on everything else I think but not sure if it's enough and if I am alright for timing for picking up physical chem and physics during this time. How much pure calc and maths based questions did they have at your sitting?

None that were 'pure calc and maths', but you do need to do a lot of graph reading, basic arithmetic but under a lot of time pressure. I would prepare with time on your side if I were you, or sit this one as an experience exam. It's a marathon the whole application process. So best of luck!
Hi There, I know it's probably a long shot but are these books still for sale? Thank you for such a helpful thread. I'm hoping to study at Nottingham when I finish my Physiotherapy degree. Best Wishes,Rich
Original post by Richie Em
Hi There, I know it's probably a long shot but are these books still for sale? Thank you for such a helpful thread. I'm hoping to study at Nottingham when I finish my Physiotherapy degree. Best Wishes,Rich

Sent you a message.
I've also updated the very first post of this thread with an overview for the three sections of the GAMSAT and how to best prepare now that I have some time on my hands.
Thanks for all your help Osiris. And yes I'd also love to know if you still have the books for sale too as I'd be interested in buying them.

Also, have you heard anything about the PassGamsat boot camp material at all too?

Thanks again

I've also updated the very first post of this thread with an overview for the three sections of the GAMSAT and how to best prepare now that I have some time on my hands.
(edited 6 years ago)

Heya! Thank you so much for all your help! This thread has been a God send! I am also interested in purchasing the PDF set off you if they are still available. Please do PM me more info! Thanks
Hi there, I was wondering if you still had the des o'neill set for sale, in particular for section 2 of the GAMSAT
Hi,Literally came here because I have just found out I need to do the Gamsat. Would love some links or pdfs or physicals. Could you please let me know how I can get some or all of you. Thanks.

Also, planning to take it in March 2018. Is that a suitable time frame? Very similar background to you.

Financial services last ten years.
Computer Engineering first degree. No Chemistry or Biology.

Also, on the day, what are the timings like for the exam?
(edited 6 years ago)
A very suitable time frame.

The non science is not really an issue, especially if your first degree is in something quantitative. The only issues I can envisage you having would be with regards to Section 1 & 2, but that can be improved with sufficient practice.

Timings are not great. Normally you have to get to the test centre quite early, sort of 8 ish, sections 1 and 2 end lunch time, then section 3 ends at around 5-6PM.
I have a question about the GAMSAT day - can I take a bag with me containing some lunch? Am I allowed a water bottle during the exam? Are you allowed to leave for the toilet or only during breaks?
Yes you can take whatever you want, you just have to leave your stuff in the corner of the room. You are allowed a bottle but one of those clear bottles.

You can take toilet breaks, but from the top of my head you could only go during specific times of the exam period.

Latest

Trending

Trending