The Student Room Group

Starbucks plans to hire 10,000 refugees in response to Trump travel ban

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/30/starbucks-plans-to-hire-10000-refugees-in-response-to-trump-travel-ban-6414314/

Starbucks planning to displace 10,000 feminists and liberals out of jobs in favour of refugees

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhiteKnight747
http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/30/starbucks-plans-to-hire-10000-refugees-in-response-to-trump-travel-ban-6414314/

Starbucks planning to displace 10,000 feminists and liberals out of jobs in favour of refugees

This is a tad misleading; it doesn't state they'll be displacing anyone's jobs, merely that they'll be hiring refugees. They're a multinational corporation, they don't need to fire anyone to have the capacity to hire more.
if this is true then i shall break my SB virginity :h:
Original post by shadowdweller
This is a tad misleading; it doesn't state they'll be displacing anyone's jobs, merely that they'll be hiring refugees. They're a multinational corporation, they don't need to fire anyone to have the capacity to hire more.

Not misleading, you've misinterpreted.

For every refugee they hire, that's a job that would have gone to a feminist or liberal instead.

Congrats feminist & liberals. You got what you asked for - more immigrants and fewer jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Good guy Starbucks.
Not misleading, you've misinterpreted.

For every refugee they hire, that's a job that could have gone to a feminist or liberal instead.

Which is still misleading - this assumes they'll hire purely based on the person being a refugee, rather than them being capable of the job. And also that they themselves wouldn't be a feminist or a liberal anyway, which of course, you can't guarantee.

Besides, feminists and liberals are hardly struggling for jobs, no more so than anyone else :lol:
Original post by the bear
if this is true then i shall break my SB virginity :h:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_black

thing is, i make excellent cawfee at home... with unlimited refills :h:
Original post by the bear
thing is, i make excellent cawfee at home... with unlimited refills :h:

Do you grind your own beans?
Ridiculous. They should focus more on hiring citizens who need work. Don't people talk **** about benefits claimants? Most of the jobs benefits claimants are offered is minimum wage work in the public service...like starbucks.

Guess they're just gonna have to claim even MORE benefits if the migrants get the work :h:

:tea:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
Which is still misleading - this assumes they'll hire purely based on the person being a refugee, rather than them being capable of the job. And also that they themselves wouldn't be a feminist or a liberal anyway, which of course, you can't guarantee.

Besides, feminists and liberals are hardly struggling for jobs, no more so than anyone else :lol:

Actually they do.

Unfortunately no one in the real world values a women's studies or art history degree, so feminists and liberals are largely in dire need of jobs.

The point here is that these liberal groups support policies that ultimately harm them, all in the name of multiculturalism and diversity. Well congrats liberals, you got what you wished for.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Do you grind your own beans?

& i also make my own sprinkles :h:
The irony when the far right's champion Mr Trump has caused so much chaos with his policy that they're now the ones constantly upset. I love it.

As is always said, they have a right to hire who they wish, respect that.
Working Tax Credit here I come :deal: yippee! Make my life and benefits claiming even easier, Starbucks and migrants x
Actually they do.

Unfortunately no one in the real world values a women's studies or art history degree, so feminists and liberals are largely in dire need of jobs.

The point here is that these liberal groups support policies that ultimately harm them, all in the name of multiculturalism and diversity. Well congrats liberals, you got what you wished for.

And no one in the real world things that every feminist or liberal has a women's study or art history degree, so I'm afraid your point is somewhat moot. Whilst I suspect you are not serious in your posts thus far, it does seem important to establish that a lot of feminists are very employable.

However, you are right in one aspect, that a number of liberal groups did indeed want refugees to have more opportunities of employment, so it's what a lot have wished for. That being said, it in no way affects their own jobs, so your assumption that it will harm them is built on false grounds, in my opinion.
Original post by 0to100
Ridiculous. They should focus more on hiring citizens who need work. Don't people talk **** about benefits claimants? Most of the jobs benefits claimants are offered is minimum wage work in the public service...like starbucks.

Guess they're just gonna have to claim even MORE benefits if the migrants get the work :h:

Thank you. Starbucks doesnt care about the local people in the countries it's in.

All it cares about is looking good to the press and brand value, so they make grand gestures like this, whilst hiding the fact this will hurt the local citizens and stakeholders in the communities they operate in.
Hang on - specifically feminists and liberals, or just general people? There's a way to phrase things, mate. How about the fact that Starbucks is giving 10,000 otherwise jobless people jobs?
Wait...can sb even do this if the migrants aren't even let in...? Or is this just some liberal gesture to get a round of applause.

Dunkin Donuts is better anyway.

Wait...this isn't honourable at all!

‘There are more than 65 million citizens of the world recognised as refugees by the United Nations, and we are developing plans to hire 10,000 of them over five years in the 75 countries around the world where Starbucks does business,’ he said.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/30/starbucks-plans-to-hire-10000-refugees-in-response-to-trump-travel-ban-6414314/#ixzz4XFo9TJHr

10,000 out of 65 million. Mug. Bet he gives them floor sweeping, toilet cleaning jobs and exploits them with underpay.
Original post by 0to100

Spoiler

The migrants also need work and would probably be supported for by the taxpayer in some way if they didn't get it, one way or another.
Starbucks taking the moral high ground after their well known tax meddlings is just pure hypocrisy. Their sole aim is increasing sales at an opportunistic time, they could care less about refugees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending