The Student Room Group

A-Level option choices?

Hi all,
So A-levels are the last thing I want to think about right now what with my GCSES, but I have to hand in my choices for subjects I want to take next year by tomorrow and I'd like a little advice. I've put down Philosophy & Ethics, English Lit/Lang (would have loved to have done pure English Literature, but out of my year I was the only one to put it down! So it's not running) and History but I'm starting to question it? Was just wondering if anyone who took/ is taking mostly essay-based subjects at A-level or similar subjects and just about what your experience was like/is so far e.g managing the work load, diversity in lessons, homework etc. --Please note that when I go into sixth form AS levels won't exist , so I have to pick three and stick them all out for exams at the end of A2 rather than drop one like in previous years--(Planning on going into Law or perhaps history after my A-levels).

Many thanks!
Original post by li_n
Hi all,
So A-levels are the last thing I want to think about right now what with my GCSES, but I have to hand in my choices for subjects I want to take next year by tomorrow and I'd like a little advice. I've put down Philosophy & Ethics, English Lit/Lang (would have loved to have done pure English Literature, but out of my year I was the only one to put it down! So it's not running) and History but I'm starting to question it? Was just wondering if anyone who took/ is taking mostly essay-based subjects at A-level or similar subjects and just about what your experience was like/is so far e.g managing the work load, diversity in lessons, homework etc. --Please note that when I go into sixth form AS levels won't exist , so I have to pick three and stick them all out for exams at the end of A2 rather than drop one like in previous years--(Planning on going into Law or perhaps history after my A-levels).

Many thanks!

Hi! I didn't take all essay-based subjects, but I am taking English Lit and Politics along with Maths and Further maths. (And an essay based EPQ).
Honestly, whilst it's nice to be able to switch things up in terms of revision methods for maths vs humanity, I wouldn't say it would be a problem to take all essay based. If anything, I wish I had been able to take History, as you'd be surprised by the amount that the courses tend to overlap.
With English, you benefit a great deal from having an understanding of the time periods, which is why History is useful. With subjects such as Philosophy and Ethics, Politics or other social sciences, a lot of the analysis comes in useful again with feeding into English.
It can get a bit repetitive with the amount of essays you are required to write, but ultimately it helps you to hone the skill, a clear benefit when it comes to the exams.
I'd say go for it! If the subjects that you enjoy happen to be essay-based, then you will find a way to make the best of it. You'd be better off spending the two years studying things you have a passion for, irrespective of style, I believe
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by thesporkthief
Hi! I didn't take all essay-based subjects, but I am taking English Lit and Politics along with Maths and Further maths. (And an essay based EPQ).
Honestly, whilst it's nice to be able to switch things up in terms of revision methods for maths vs humanity, I wouldn't say it would be a problem to take all essay based. If anything, I wish I had been able to take History, as you'd be surprised by the amount that the courses tend to overlap.
With English, you benefit a great deal from having an understanding of the time periods, which is why History is useful. With subjects such as Philosophy and Ethics, Politics or other social sciences, a lot of the analysis comes in useful again with feeding into English.
It can get a bit repetitive with the amount of essays you are required to write, but ultimately it helps you to hone the skill, a clear benefit when it comes to the exams.
I'd say go for it! If the subjects that you enjoy happen to be essay-based, then you will find a way to make the best of it. You'd be better off spending the three years studying things you have a passion for, irrespective of style, I believe

Hello,
Thank you for your reply & the depth of it- so helpful! Had I had the ability to take maths I would have without a doubt but my logical skills are far weaker than my analytical ability, hence my options! So interesting hearing your experience & you've really eased my mind- you've really cleared everything thing up.

All the best for the future 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending