The Student Room Group

York Uni - ugliest uni?

Google York uni images. Go on street view. All you see is brutalist concrete monstrosities. Granted, the spaceship looks cool (maths department I think). But the rest of the uni doesn't. It's all concrete boxes - a bit like my old secondary school. There are no traditional buildings at all. Now you'd think York uni would be all traditional like its town centre. A real let down that it's not. I would've considered going there too. Nottingham / Birmingham on a different league altogether in terms of looks. Mind you, York may be slightly better academically. It's a shame their buildings don't reflect their reputation.

Scroll to see replies

Why should it matter what a uni looks like? York is still a top university regardless. And if you're the type of person that chooses where to apply based on aesthetics than perhaps you're applying for the wrong reasons.

York University

Paracosm

UWS

the bear

Rythymical

CheeseisVeg

Planet Crown

Reply 3
The buildings are ugly, the campus is not. There's tons of green space (over 50% of the land area if you include the lake), so while it might be a bit dreary when you're going to lectures, it's still a great place to walk about in. Plus there's also the Hes East campus now, where the buildings are a lot more modern and varied.
Reply 4
Original post by 27FT
Why should it matter what a uni looks like? York is still a top university regardless. And if you're the type of person that chooses where to apply based on aesthetics than perhaps you're applying for the wrong reasons.

I don't mind a bit of concrete here and there. But the whole damn university is made of concrete lego blocks. If only the university were in the town centre (like Oxford), it would really be a top uni, with all those old buildings - a real charming city university it would be.
Well York was established in the 60s whereas Oxford has been around the centuries so of course it's architecture would be different.
Original post by cambio wechsel

York University

Paracosm

UWS

the bear

Rythymical

CheeseisVeg

Planet Crown

:lol:
@CheeseIsVeg
@UWS
@Rhythmical
York uni is gorgeous. Have a look at Heslington East. And the fountain in the main campus is stunning. And I live in Nottingham, trust me it's predominantly grim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Go to York St John if you want old and/or good looking buildings, then.

Except then you'll have a go about it being crap and low down the rankings...
York is butt ugly I agree.

I would also have to nominate Stirling. It's not quite as bad but it's set in stunning countryside, and the concrete square boxes of buildings stand out so much in contrast.

Brunel is also pretty horrendous and there's isn't even any nice countryside around.
York is beautiful - it has lots of ducks :loveduck:

York University

Paracosm

UWS

the bear

Rythymical

CheeseisVeg

Planet Crown

What? :rofl:

:rofl2:
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
Go to York St John if you want old and/or good looking buildings, then.

Except then you'll have a go about it being crap and low down the rankings...

No, why would I do that? I'd rather go to Birmingham / Nottingham. Then I'd get the best of both worlds - style and reputation!

York University

Paracosm

UWS

the bear

Rythymical

CheeseisVeg

Planet Crown

York is a brilliant city and amazing university but how come I've been mentioned lol :rofl:
It's a leading university, one of the 20 best in the UK, why does it bother you how it looks?
Original post by Voi
No, why would I do that? I'd rather go to Birmingham / Nottingham. Then I'd get the best of both worlds - style and reputation!

Well, since you're rating something for purely superficial reasons it makes sense that you didn't think it through.
Reply 15
Original post by bluerain716
It's a leading university, one of the 20 best in the UK, why does it bother you how it looks?

I don't know about other people, but if I were around all that concrete all the time, I'd feel depressed, stuck out in the middle of nowhere - at least a bus ride away from the far superior town centre. And all that old concrete tells me that the university aren't investing the money they should be in their campus - perhaps they can't afford it? I don't mind some concrete, but there comes a point where I think OMG, you're supposed to be a top Uni, pull yourself together and start improving your campus to reflect this.
Reply 16
Original post by Voi
I don't know about other people, but if I were around all that concrete all the time, I'd feel depressed, stuck out in the middle of nowhere - at least a bus ride away from the far superior town centre. And all that old concrete tells me that the university aren't investing the money they should be in their campus - perhaps they can't afford it? I don't mind some concrete, but there comes a point where I think OMG, you're supposed to be a top Uni, pull yourself together and start improving your campus to reflect this.

Have you even set foot in York yet? :erm:

The city is a half-hour walk away, no need for a bus. The uni is not the middle of nowhere, the campuses border Heslington village. And as has already been mentioned, they have a brand new campus, worth millions, which they have been investing in heavily and continue to do so, as well as maintaining their older buildings and looking after one of the biggest green spaces in any university nationwide.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
York is beautiful - it has lots of ducks :loveduck:

One could say, too many ducks.JPG
:hide:
Original post by XOR_
One could say, too many ducks.JPG
:hide:

:fan: I love ducks :love:
but the lakes, concert hall and chemistry department are all beautiful and then
York itself :daydreaming:
Reply 19
Original post by XOR_