The Student Room Group

Self Study 5 (or 7) further mathematics modules

I'm currently taking Mathematics, FM, Physics & Chemistry at my sixth form. All my teachers comment that I'm falling behind in expectations of As (I'm studying AS atm). Last year I was the highest achiever in my school receiving 8A*s & 2As. Now I'm getting Bs & Cs. I was thinking of dropping FM at school & self teaching it in the extra 3 free periods per week + 2-3h revision at home. Is this manageable bearing in mind I take in information quite depthfully & have M1,D1,FP2,M2 & D2 remaining. I'd ideally like to do them all next year. This I think would leave me more time outside of school to study Physics & Chemistry (and Mathematics which I find pretty straightforward).
Original post by abjolm
I'm currently taking Mathematics, FM, Physics & Chemistry at my sixth form. All my teachers comment that I'm falling behind in expectations of As (I'm studying AS atm). Last year I was the highest achiever in my school receiving 8A*s & 2As. Now I'm getting Bs & Cs. I was thinking of dropping FM at school & self teaching it in the extra 3 free periods per week + 2-3h revision at home. Is this manageable bearing in mind I take in information quite depthfully & have M1,D1,FP2,M2 & D2 remaining. I'd ideally like to do them all next year. This I think would leave me more time outside of school to study Physics & Chemistry (and Mathematics which I find pretty straightforward).

I guess so, my slight worry is that you will find it slightly difficult to actually benefit from it but if you can study from home or properly in your free periods then it might not be a bad thing, even though homework is part of studying and learning, it can be difficult to keep on top of homework and out of trouble...

I actually studied Maths, Physics and Chem in Y13 and studied AS + A2 FM in my own time, it's defo possible, a bit time consuming but possible. It helps to study stats modules as well :lol: I did S2-S4, M1 and D1 in Year 13.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, it was rather helpful. Can I ask what grades you eventually got for both the FM subjects & Physics/Chem/Maths? Also, if you can remember, how much time did you spend studying for AS&A2 FM per week & over what time-period?
Thanks,

Original post by SeanFM
I guess so, my slight worry is that you will find it slightly difficult to actually benefit from it but if you can study from home or properly in your free periods then it might not be a bad thing, even though homework is part of studying and learning, it can be difficult to keep on top of homework and out of trouble...

I actually studied Maths, Physics and Chem in Y13 and studied AS + A2 FM in my own time, it's defo possible, a bit time consuming but possible. It helps to study stats modules as well :lol: I did S2-S4, M1 and D1 in Year 13.
Original post by abjolm
Thanks for your reply, it was rather helpful. Can I ask what grades you eventually got for both the FM subjects & Physics/Chem/Maths? Also, if you can remember, how much time did you spend studying for AS&A2 FM per week & over what time-period?
Thanks,

A*AAB in Maths/FM/Physics/Chem, from AABB in Maths, Physics, Chem and English lit at AS.

I started FM in late September, with the intention of doing 1 module a month (excluding January and the end of December for January mocks) and I followed this target. I had frees at home so fitted in some studying and gaming etc on those days, a few hours on the weekend as well.

But how I studied it was to go through each question in the textbook, the only one I did not do this for was for FP2 as I struggled a bit with the module (it just didn't click for me, I'm not sure why :lol:) and I guess it showed because I got a D in FP2 but 440 UMS from the other 5 modules, so I could afford to have the one not so good module.

Then I saved my past papers for April onwards and did them then, and after revising for Physics/Chem enough and doing past papers for them too, I lived life one exam at a time and did lots of papers for whatever exam I had the next day.

I was honestly shattered by the 13th one and had a mini breakdown triggered by a bit of stress (which really just means I got a bit upset by an invigilator who distracted me by cutting up bits of paper in the exam hall) and it wasn't easy but the hard work paid off in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest