The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jools
That's a yes then :tongue:

Jools, I feel you would have benefitted from a public school education my friend. You may sneer at it but the delights far out weigh the distains. CLC is one of those delights :tongue: A fine delight :smile:
Reply 21
This thread is possibly the most public school thing I've ever seen.

I love it.
Joey_Johns
Jools, I feel you would have benefitted from a public school education my friend. You may sneer at it but the delights far out weigh the distains. CLC is one of those delights :tongue: A fine delight :smile:

I've never sneered at public school education; my comment yesterday was just cringing at the term "old boy". Whilst a public school education may have its advantages, I just think it is a complete and utter waste of money for parents spending up to £20,000 a year for their kid to get the same grades easily accessible at the vast majority of state schools with a bit of extra effort. I'm proud that I'm at the same level in education & employability as many former public-schoolchildren and have saved my parents a six-figure sum in the process.
Jools
I've never sneered at public school education; my comment yesterday was just cringing at the term "old boy". Whilst a public school education may have its advantages, I just think it is a complete and utter waste of money for parents spending up to £20,000 a year for their kid to get the same grades easily accessible at the vast majority of state schools with a bit of extra effort. I'm proud that I'm at the same level in education & employability as many former public-schoolchildren and have saved my parents a six-figure sum in the process.

Sorry to beat the same old drum: but it's about more than the grades. Also, most school don't come anywhere near to £20,000pa, that a very small cohort of well known boarding schools; most come in at under £10K per year
Jools

Fair play to you, you have done excellent. All credit must be given to you...but you forgot one big thing. It is who you know and not what you know. I wasn't joking about Mr.Thompson (altohgh I was joking about talking to him), I could very easily have a word in his ear, and he would listen, people are just fickle like that.

For you Jools, if the opportunity arises I shall put in a good word for you, I like you, you have style, I love the 'LA' look you now potray :biggrin: However that is unlikely unless I go looking for it, but you never know...
BazTheMoney
Sorry to beat the same old drum: but it's about more than the grades. Also, most school don't come anywhere near to £20,000pa, that a very small cohort of well known boarding schools; most come in at under £10K per year

Yes, look at Baz's old school, with all them outdoor facilities...erm...erm :tongue: (j/k)

Seriously though, it is an experience that you cannot get back at the age of 18 when you haven't gone to boarding school. It gives you independance and gives you a strong backbone for life.

Rant over, this is about CLC, not other schools :tongue:
Reply 26
BazTheMoney

Looking back at it now I think my all-round education wouldn't have been harmed much by going to a very good grammar school - there are two near me. I'd much rather my parents save a chunk of money. Some fees are getting ridiculous these days - I read Westminister are charging £5,500 a term for day pupils. Habs on the other hand charge half that, maybe less, and their isn't a great disparity between the two.
BazTheMoney
Sorry to beat the same old drum: but it's about more than the grades.

Yeah, though the additional benefits of a public school - excellent sports, music, etc facilities and contacts/networking opportunities, I still don't believe are worth even £5-10,000 a year.

Joey_Johns
but you forgot one big thing. It is who you know and not what you know. I wasn't joking about Mr.Thompson (altohgh I was joking about talking to him), I could very easily have a word in his ear, and he would listen, people are just fickle like that.

It's all very much down to luck though that the contacts you make are going to be the ones who'll get you a job etc, thus I consider it a six-figure risky gamble. The majority still go down the formal route to go far in life, and anyway I'd say being with the right people at a top university can give you better contacts than a public school.

Previously my problem with public schools was that GCSE and A-Level grades ought to measure one's effort, ability and intelligence (in whatever balance). But having some schools where the students themselves admit they're spoonfed distorts this all - someone with AAA from Westminster or Winchester could have got CCC if they'd gone to a state school. This is evident from the sizeable number of "old boys" who fail their 1st year exams at Oxbridge.
Jools
Yeah, though the additional benefits of a public school - excellent sports, music, etc facilities and contacts/networking opportunities, I still don't believe are worth even £5-10,000 a year.

It's all very much down to luck though that the contacts you make are going to be the ones who'll get you a job etc, thus I consider it a six-figure risky gamble. The majority still go down the formal route to go far in life, and anyway I'd say being with the right people at a top university can give you better contacts than a public school.

Previously my problem with public schools was that GCSE and A-Level grades ought to measure one's effort, ability and intelligence (in whatever balance). But having some schools where the students themselves admit they're spoonfed distorts this all - someone with AAA from Westminster or Winchester could have got CCC if they'd gone to a state school. This is evident from the sizeable number of "old boys" who fail their 1st year exams at Oxbridge.

My father went to Winchester and got top grades, went to Oxbridge and got a masters. I have to disagree with your point there, the education IS better and that is why they get A's.

Trust me, school contacts are far more important. Contacts at uni mean far less (unless you go to Oxbridge) and even then, schools probably provide a btter contacting route.

I would suggest that the reason why a lot of ex public schoolers flunk at uni is because they are used to structure. I am currently at the end of my gap year, and I can tell you the first thing you notice is 'wow I can do what the hell I want'. A lot of kids from boarding schools have been penned in so much by their school they 'bum out' in style when they get to uni. I have certainly become a grade A bum during my gap year :biggrin:
Reply 29
Joey_Johns

Seriously though, it is an experience that you cannot get back at the age of 18 when you haven't gone to boarding school. It gives you independance and gives you a strong backbone for life.

"Independence"? "A strong backbone for life"? Most of the former 'boarders' I came across in Paris were far from independent and in fact were quite at a loss in many a situation :wink:
aliel
"Independence"? "A strong backbone for life"? Most of the former 'boarders' I came across in Paris were far from independent and in fact were quite at a loss in many a situation :wink:

Your opinion, I wouldn certainly say been chucked in a boarding school when I was 4 toughened me up.
Joey_Johns
Trust me, school contacts are far more important. Contacts at uni mean far less (unless you go to Oxbridge) and even then, schools probably provide a btter contacting route.

It's just that there's the standard route to success which doesn't involve contacts, a large network base and the typically huge cost of this. You can make it to a magic circle law firm, a bulge bracket investment bank, a top management consultancy firm, a renowned advertising agency... virtually anything, if you've got an excellent CV.
aliel

"What do I do now Leila?" :wink: :tongue:
BazTheMoney
Your opinion, I wouldn certainly say been chucked in a boarding school when I was 4 toughened me up.

Agreed, obviously there are some weak examples which crack under the pressure but on the most it is true.
Reply 34
BazTheMoney

So you're tough now are you? :tongue: I'm sure there are exceptions but, for me, an average comp student is more "independent" than that of a boarder.
Jools
It's just that there's the standard route to success which doesn't involve contacts, a large network base and the typically huge cost of this. You can make it to a magic circle law firm, a bulge bracket investment bank, a top management consultancy firm, a renowned advertising agency... virtually anything, if you've got an excellent CV.

I don't mean to turn against you. But address books are worth a hell of a lot!!!

I consider myself (or rather my parents) to have made a killing. As grammar school (or at least the one that I attended) produces easily comparable results to the best independent in the area - K.E.S.

But I don't know that many important contacts from school, tbh.
Reply 36
Jools
"What do I do now Leila?" :wink: :tongue:

:biggrin:
Jools

Of course you can, but if your uncle for example was the head of a bank, wouldn't you rate your chances of getting the job much higher than normal? Of course you would get the job. Like I said, people are fickle, it perhaps isn't right to choose a candidate because their dad goes drinking with the boss, but it is life and it happens.
BazTheMoney

I'd say being in a northern comp where people carry knives and someone was killed after being shot in the head with an air-pistol toughened me up.

I wouldn't say those who went to the top public schools noticeably have "a backbone for life" and independence significantly greater than anyone else.
Reply 39
Jools

Agreed. There are some murky areas within the world of work where an old tie is neccessary...but for the most part, times have changed. Anyways, i would hate to have gained a position from such a situation.

Latest

Trending

Trending