The Student Room Group

University referencing help

So I am studying with The Open University. I think referencing is where I am losing most of marks. So was wondering if someone could tell me how to Harvard and Oxford reference properly.

Below is my research paper and the info I intend to use.

PDF Document
Chapter 5: Leadership In Sports
Author: PACKIANATHAN CHELLADURAI

THE MEDIATIONAL MODEL OF LEADERSHIP
The original mediational model of leadership (R. E. Smith, Smoll, & Hunt, 1978) consisted of (a) coach behaviors, (b) players’ perceptions and recollections of those behaviors, and (c) players’ evaluative reactions. The cognitive processes of perceptions, recall, and reactions are as important as the behaviors themselves.

I paraphrase my work. Would this be correct?
Hunt, Smith & Smoll''s (1978) mediation model of leadership is made up of coaching behaviours, players perceptions and recollections of those behaviours and a player's evaluative reactions. These cognitive processes of perceptions, recall and reactions are important as the behaviours themselves.

So how would I go about referencing this? Would I better just using the original quote and if so, how would I go about referencing it?

Many thanks, PR
Are you sure you're not meant to be using APA with it being psychology and all?
we have been told to use the Harvard referencing system although it might change at university level
http://www.citethisforme.com/harvard-referencing
Reply 3
I'm with OU too :h:

Based on the info you gave I would do this:

Hunt, Smith & Smoll''s (1978) mediation model of leadership is made up of coaching behaviours, players perceptions and recollections of those behaviours and a player's evaluative reactions. These cognitive processes of perceptions, recall and reactions are important as the behaviours themselves (Chelladurai, P., (year), p.add page number).

Bibliography

Chelladurai, P., (year), 'Titile of PDF document', 'Chapter 5: Leadership In Sports', available at web link if possible

I'm not quite sure this is right because I'm a bit confused by the info you've given but it's as close as I can get. If you're really struggling you can contact your tutor, remember the TMA assignment booklets usually have a section on the referencing with examples so make sure to check that.
Reply 4
Neilstoolbox is a good referencing site that has helped me in the beginning. Hope that helps x
Original post by Phillip_Rankin88
So I am studying with The Open University. I think referencing is where I am losing most of marks. So was wondering if someone could tell me how to Harvard and Oxford reference properly.

Below is my research paper and the info I intend to use.

PDF Document
Chapter 5: Leadership In Sports
Author: PACKIANATHAN CHELLADURAI

THE MEDIATIONAL MODEL OF LEADERSHIP
The original mediational model of leadership (R. E. Smith, Smoll, & Hunt, 1978) consisted of (a) coach behaviors, (b) players’ perceptions and recollections of those behaviors, and (c) players’ evaluative reactions. The cognitive processes of perceptions, recall, and reactions are as important as the behaviors themselves.

I paraphrase my work. Would this be correct?
Hunt, Smith & Smoll''s (1978) mediation model of leadership is made up of coaching behaviours, players perceptions and recollections of those behaviours and a player's evaluative reactions. These cognitive processes of perceptions, recall and reactions are important as the behaviours themselves.

So how would I go about referencing this? Would I better just using the original quote and if so, how would I go about referencing it?

Many thanks, PR

Have you heard of referencing manager software, such as Zotero. These are either standalone app programs or web-based clients which manage references - you can set them up to insert a reference in the correct format into your Word document (it also integrates with Word by giving functionality through Word's own menus) and will even produce an alphabetical bibliography at the end! You have to check through the output, but these apps total take all the work out of correct referencing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending