The Student Room Group

Overwhelmed with writing essays and other commitments

Any university student will be familiar with the feeling of being overwhelmed, and feeling like there is a lack of control.

Now, I would say that I am a very organised person: I organise how, and when, I am going to do something in order to make things easier for myself. That said, I am still struggling with the fact that I have three essays due later this week.

They are all planned they just need to be written up and referenced. Despite this, I'm still feeling overwhelmed. The writing up of these essays will take a fair bit of energy and concentration by themselves. Then the referencing, I find really stressful. I had thought of literally scheduling time to do these two or three separate things; the writing, the editing, and the referencing. That said, it would be very helpful to hear about other people's experiences of the build-up of overwhelm, and the building of stress, as it comes closer to a deadline. I seem to feel quite stressed about the deadlines whether I'm organised or not (though being organised does help).
Reply 1
I feel like an outlier with this stuff. I did not find university overwhelming at all - I just planned around it so everything was fine. I suppose I had an advantage in that I'd worked for 6 or 7 years prior, so to me the organisation and holding myself to account was entirely normal. If this was me, all three would be done by now. I was well on top of that stuff.

One big tip - reference as you go. Don't wait till the end. MS Word has a tool that you can edit via macro commands and XML to do stuff exactly how you want it to.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
I feel like an outlier with this stuff. I did not find university overwhelming at all - I just planned around it so everything was fine. I suppose I had an advantage in that I'd worked for 6 or 7 years prior, so to me the organisation and holding myself to account was entirely normal. If this was me, all three would be done by now. I was well on top of that stuff.

One big tip - reference as you go. Don't wait till the end. MS Word has a tool that you can edit via macro commands and XML to do stuff exactly how you want it to.

I see what you're saying, honestly. It could be an amalgamation of things just piling up because, as you suggest, I would usually be almost done by now and it's unusual for me to have left it this late. If anything, I would probably be referencing and editing by now.

I should really get my sources together before I start writing the essay, and begin referencing as I go which I will try. I have heard it being done both ways so I will give this other way a go and see how it feels.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by LiteraryGeek
Any university student will be familiar with the feeling of being overwhelmed, and feeling like there is a lack of control.

Now, I would say that I am a very organised person: I organise how, and when, I am going to do something in order to make things easier for myself. That said, I am still struggling with the fact that I have three essays due later this week.

They are all planned they just need to be written up and referenced. Despite this, I'm still feeling overwhelmed. The writing up of these essays will take a fair bit of energy and concentration by themselves. Then the referencing, I find really stressful. I had thought of literally scheduling time to do these two or three separate things; the writing, the editing, and the referencing. That said, it would be very helpful to hear about other people's experiences of the build-up of overwhelm, and the building of stress, as it comes closer to a deadline. I seem to feel quite stressed about the deadlines whether I'm organised or not (though being organised does help).

Hi,

I know how you feel, sometimes it can just feel really overwhelming, there doesn't have to be a reason, sometimes things can just feel harder. When I feel like this (which is often) I tell myself to just open my laptop and just do 10 minutes. It doesnt feel overwhelming when you tell yourself youre only doing 10 minutes, and usually once you have started you do way more than ten minutes.

If you still find yourself really struggling to meet the deadline, you could try and request an extension for one of the essays. You should also be able to access the student support team who can really help with managing stress and helping you manage deadlines.

Good luck, you can do it!

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending