The Student Room Group

I'm old and feeling like the token addition student | Postgraduate Studies

I gained my place on my Msc course from extensive industry experience, I'm good at my job (without being arrogant) and I felt that I was bright and physically capable. I've not been in education since the Spice Girls were popular and left with 11 GCSE's at grade B and above including A*'s in English, Maths & Science.

I decided I wanted to do my Masters in my field of industry (online based) so I can fit it around my full time employment. I submitted my 1st comment on our Uni discussion board this week, 3 days before the due date and proudly and patiently waited for other replies to come in. I was really pleased with my response to the question and a lot of time and thought had gone into it. But... Boy, am I out of my depth. I haven't referenced properly and my reply, compared to the others, reads so simple and looks like it has been written by a child. The not referencing properly, I can take feedback on board with that as I've literally never done it before but my reply. Meh.

The thing is, I can happily sit with directors and analyse data and relay it back in terms they understand and I know my industry very well. I've got excellent business acumen and rarely make poor business decisions - I'm human, so it does happen on occasions and I accept that and my team always speak highly of me (Not just to my face but to others and the fact we have a ridiculously high staff retention suggests there is truth in this too)

I read the other replies and could have cried. It's a whole new way of writing, the others had all picked up on basic things that I'd missed, despite the information being straight in front of me and they wrote with such knowledge and understanding of the question that I was left feeling like a complete failure before I've even started.

I'm not a quitter and I will 100% learn from this 1st discussion but I think I just wanted to offload and hoped someone might have some advice for someone who is feeling very old and somewhat useless right now
Reply 1
I have no advice but completely sympathise. I'm due to start my MSc in September, and it sounds like we went to school around the same time.

I hope things get better for you and good luck with the course.
Reply 2
Don’t worry (seriously), we’ve all been through this (where you feel out of your depth). It takes a bit of time to get into the academic side of things. What are you studying and where?
(edited 10 months ago)
Anon,

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself!

You know your stuff and you have so much to contribute!

Discussion boards are discussions boards. It's not about perfectly written answers. It's about sharing ideas and learning from others.

You don't have to prove yourself!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous
I gained my place on my Msc course from extensive industry experience, I'm good at my job (without being arrogant) and I felt that I was bright and physically capable. I've not been in education since the Spice Girls were popular and left with 11 GCSE's at grade B and above including A*'s in English, Maths & Science.

I decided I wanted to do my Masters in my field of industry (online based) so I can fit it around my full time employment. I submitted my 1st comment on our Uni discussion board this week, 3 days before the due date and proudly and patiently waited for other replies to come in. I was really pleased with my response to the question and a lot of time and thought had gone into it. But... Boy, am I out of my depth. I haven't referenced properly and my reply, compared to the others, reads so simple and looks like it has been written by a child. The not referencing properly, I can take feedback on board with that as I've literally never done it before but my reply. Meh.

The thing is, I can happily sit with directors and analyse data and relay it back in terms they understand and I know my industry very well. I've got excellent business acumen and rarely make poor business decisions - I'm human, so it does happen on occasions and I accept that and my team always speak highly of me (Not just to my face but to others and the fact we have a ridiculously high staff retention suggests there is truth in this too)

I read the other replies and could have cried. It's a whole new way of writing, the others had all picked up on basic things that I'd missed, despite the information being straight in front of me and they wrote with such knowledge and understanding of the question that I was left feeling like a complete failure before I've even started.

I'm not a quitter and I will 100% learn from this 1st discussion but I think I just wanted to offload and hoped someone might have some advice for someone who is feeling very old and somewhat useless right now

Hello,

It's important to first acknowledge that moat people will be feeling out of their depth and like their work didn't match up to everyone elses! You should know that university is challenging but it's great that you're putting in the effort to discuss and develop your ideas with others. A discussion space doesn't need to be perfect and in terms of referencing, if you're feeling under confident it's a great idea to find the relevent services at your university to help with this!

For example the University of Lincoln have referencing guides in their online library which I've always found useful, along with their writing development team. Along with this, express this feelings to your tutors as this will allow you to get the support you need and increase your confidence. It could also point you in the direction of extra resources that could further help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending