The Student Room Group

Referencing mistake

Hi everyone,

I am sure that I am being overly anxious here however I have made a slight referencing mistake with my assignment and I am worried.

I cited an industry document and the reference was cited as 'first name of company, year, page number.' I should have cited it as 'first and last name of company, year, page number.'

I have cited the document several other times in the assignment before so I am guessing it would not be flagged up as a big problem.

Also, I have listed the document in my bibliography so the examiner knows what the document is.

Thanks for any advice given.
Hey,

It sounds like you should be okay but if you are still worried could you contact a tutor or lecturer?
I made a few referencing mistakes, particularly in my first year it wasn't an issue as I still included it in my reference list ( It just wasn't in the right format)

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with assignments :smile:

Rebecca 2nd Year Education, SEN and mental health student
Reply 2
It won't be an issue.
Reply 3
This is a very minor issue - it might get picked up in the feedback but maybe not. It's the overall quality of referencing that counts.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hey,

It sounds like you should be okay but if you are still worried could you contact a tutor or lecturer?
I made a few referencing mistakes, particularly in my first year it wasn't an issue as I still included it in my reference list ( It just wasn't in the right format)

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with assignments :smile:

Rebecca 2nd Year Education, SEN and mental health student

This is in the 3rd year
Original post by gjd800
It won't be an issue.

Thanks my g 💯
Original post by cheadle
This is a very minor issue - it might get picked up in the feedback but maybe not. It's the overall quality of referencing that counts.

Thank you. Hopefully they do not notice :eek:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I am sure that I am being overly anxious here however I have made a slight referencing mistake with my assignment and I am worried.

I cited an industry document and the reference was cited as 'first name of company, year, page number.' I should have cited it as 'first and last name of company, year, page number.'

I have cited the document several other times in the assignment before so I am guessing it would not be flagged up as a big problem.

Also, I have listed the document in my bibliography so the examiner knows what the document is.

Hey,

Since you have referenced the document, then I imagine that there should not be a major issue (i.e., plagiarism or not referencing the document at all). We have all made slight mistakes when it comes to referencing! However, if you are worried then I recommend that you contact your lecturer or module lead for advice as they can give you better advice. I would message them sooner rather than later for any clarifications though.

Moving forward, there are websites like "cite this for me" which may be useful!

I hope this helps and good luck!
Sara :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

Hey!
I totally understand how stressful it can be when you realize you made a mistake on your assignment. However, it sounds like you're already taking some good steps to mitigate the situation. Since you've cited the industry document several times before with a slightly different format, it's unlikely to be flagged as a major issue. Additionally, listing the document correctly in your bibliography is a good move, as it shows that you're aware of the source and have made an effort to provide the correct information.

That being said, it's always a good idea to double-check your references and make sure they're as accurate as possible. If you have time, you might consider going back through your assignment and making any necessary corrections. Overall, I wouldn't stress too much about this mistake. Just learn from it and try to be more careful in the future. Good luck with your assignment!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Depends on your marker generally but I wouldn't worry too much. If you feel particularly worried, maybe just talk to your tutor, it's what they are there for.

I'm late on in what will be my 4th uni qualification and I still have a few errors in referencing now and again. It happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending