The Student Room Group

Second degree denied funding for Occupational Therapy

Hi everyone, I need some advice.Student finance wales are no longer funding second degrees even though the degree leads to a professional career. If you decide to study in England instead of Wales.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by te_amo
Hi everyone, I need some advice.Student finance wales are no longer funding second degrees even though the degree leads to a professional career. What other options do I have?

please help

Self fund....or move to England for 3 years to work. Once you've lived in England for 3 years you could apply to SFE who do offer second degree funding for OT degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Self fund....or move to England for 3 years to work. Once you've lived in England for 3 years you could apply to SFE who do offer second degree funding for OT degrees.

hey thanks for the response, do you know any companies or organisations that can assist me with self-funding, please.
Hi there, thank you for posting this I finally feel like not the only person in the world in this predicament. I am exactly the same, there are a few finance options feel free to private message me and I can link you to some however the interest rates are extortionate in comparison to a student loan. I have written to my local MP in Wales for some advice as I know rules are rules theres not much they can do but there is absolutely NO guidance online or information for people who fall into this category. I will update you if I get a response
Contacting your MP etc and the people in charge to highlight the issue is a good idea. they have the power to change things. In the meantime do what PQ says and move to England. I wouldnt self fund.
I didn't know people living in England were entitled to student finance all over again for a second degree. For a completely different Undergraduate degree, for the full three years, with Maintenance and everything?
Original post by markova21
I didn't know people living in England were entitled to student finance all over again for a second degree. For a completely different Undergraduate degree, for the full three years, with Maintenance and everything?

generally where such arrangements exist it;s for pre-reg health professional courses as there is no short cut ( as even the foreshortened grad entry / pre-reg post grad only cut 6 months to a year off the course) to getting the relevant qualification and it is mandatory to have an approved pre-reg.
Original post by zippyRN
generally where such arrangements exist it;s for pre-reg health professional courses as there is no short cut ( as even the foreshortened grad entry / pre-reg post grad only cut 6 months to a year off the course) to getting the relevant qualification and it is mandatory to have an approved pre-reg.

Ah I see. So it's only for medical/health related courses that you get funding. I don't think you are allowed a student loan and grant etc, if you have an Engineering degree and then want to do a Fine Art one though.
Original post by markova21
Ah I see. So it's only for medical/health related courses that you get funding. I don't think you are allowed a student loan and grant etc, if you have an Engineering degree and then want to do a Fine Art one though.

No - although there's a few situations where you can get part time funding (which is fees only) for certain STEM courses as a second degree.
"The government has confirmed that students from England who already have a degree will still be able to receive funding from Student Finance to study a healthcare course as a second degree. The government's stated intention is that all previous higher education study will be disregarded and, therefore, will not reduce the funding available from Student Finance to study a healthcare course."

Does this mean that funding is only available for people who have completed their first degree? If you used two years of student finance up but didn't complete your degree, could you get funding for a second course in healthcare?

I'm finding my biomed degree very hard, and I wish to retrain with a healthcare degree if possible.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending