The Student Room Group

College vs school's sixth form?!

Currently approaching the stage where by the end of this year I'm going to have to have decided. It's not the be all and end all, obviously, it's only two years, but I'm considering my options carefully. Doesn't hurt to be thinking about it I guess :smile:

The school I go to currently is about 40 minutes walk or 10 minutes drive from where I live. I've been there 4 years and I know everybody, all the teachers and my way around it like the back of my hand. However, there is a strict dress policy, 50% of my peers will go to colleges, and I wouldn't necessarily want to be treated like a child.

There's a few colleges I could go to, one being 20/25 minutes drive away, and the other two being about 50 minutes on the bus away. They are very laidback, but I am concerned about not knowing my way round, not knowing the people and having longer days.

I'm looking to go on to a medical career - with this and everything else in mind, does anyone have any advice about the situation, or personal experience, of either sixth form or college? It'd be very appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
nows your time to chose would you want to stay in the same atmosphere or do you want to be independent. remember any advice you get is from people who most likely have made their decisions and will give you advice on what they did wrong or what worked out for them. but thats them. you are a different person. i would most likely talk to a teacher who has seen you grow throughout high school because they know you best. therefore they know how you will cope. Personally i go to a sixth form and i have been in this school since year 7. so thats 7 years now and honestly i can't wait till i leave. but i know that this place ( my school) has sort of become a second home for me. also another thing regardless of your option of what you will decide you are most likely to still think what if i chose the other pathway.
at the end of the day there are pros and cons with both options. just write them out and see which one balances out the most.
what ever decision you make i hope the best for you. i hope you love your option/ choice and do the best. just try and chose something that 10 years down the line you wont regret, i know it's easier said than done . but yeah once again good luck and i hope all my rambling will may be, be of some use :smile:
Reply 2
sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes i havent read over my reply again, just submitted it

Quick Reply

Latest