The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dmurphy1999
did you ask for London in your original choices?

Not in my original choices but I did tell them last week I would be willing to relocate
Original post by Lorna42
Not in my original choices but I did tell them last week I would be willing to relocate

How come you offered to relocate as they would have found you something locally as you passed the tests, was you after a particular role
How come you offered to relocate as they would have found you something locally as you passed the tests, was you after a particular role

Because I just put Newcaste originally but I don't mind moving away because I think its the only chance ill get to live in London!
Original post by Lorna42
Because I just put Newcaste originally but I don't mind moving away because I think its the only chance ill get to live in London!

Bit of an adventure coming up for you there mate, have fun in the big city :smile:
Reply 1584
Original post by Ajw23
I've not got a start date yet but I was told to wait for my office to get in touch after passing the pre employment checks (that was over a week ago)

See I am emailing someone from HMRC so I am hoping once my checks are complete I will get a start date pretty fast.

Everything crossed.
Reply 1585
I've not been given a start date but I've been offered a position in London on the business scheme(both my third preferences). Going to have to relocate from Manchester!
Original post by Jhuggy
I've not been given a start date but I've been offered a position in London on the business scheme(both my third preferences). Going to have to relocate from Manchester!

what position have you been offered? I'm relocating too and worried about what my salary will be!
Reply 1587
Original post by Lorna42
what position have you been offered? I'm relocating too and worried about what my salary will be!

Isn't it like £22,000 minimum or something in London??
Reply 1588
Original post by Lorna42

Business scheme .. probably salary will be between 26-28k
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lorna42
Hi! I've been offered a role in London and I'm from Newcastle, is anyone else relocating does anyone have any advice? I've only been to London once or twice so have no idea how to go about finding somewhere to live!

Im relocating too from the North West, I was advised not too start looking until I have my start date as flats houseshares come and go so quick. I'm still waiting for checks to clear, i was offered my post the end of June.
Just an update for everyone

I received an offer on Friday, it wasnt mine it was for some lady 35 miles away, I drove to hers and she had my offer, firstly they offered her London when she asked for Liverpool, the lady had 3 kids and a mortgage so that was a none starter, great organisation Fast Track!!!, I then opened my offer once the lady emailed it to me, I asked for Liverpool and they gave me Shipley in Yorkshire, again none starter as cannot relocate and the drive is 80 minutes on a good day, which would amount to fuel costs alone of over £5000, absolute waste of time, gutted, if they had no Liverpool then I would have preferred just to not accept me at all, Ive turned down 2 jobs which actually paid more than this 23k plus on both, Ive emailed them asking for options but cant see anything happening.

The whole process is an absolute joke. I haven't even had an offer yet and Liverpool was one of my options but I had an email asking if I'd relocate to London about a month ago which I declined. I have no hope for getting an offer in my chosen locations now and if they offer me somewhere miles away then they will be getting some very strong words over the phone. I'd probably say something if I was you as that's a data protection security breach if they sent your personal details to someone else! Really not acceptable.
Also all my grades where above 3, mostly middle 3s too, Id like to know if they actually had many roles available in the first place, I wasnt being fussy either as put Business down as 1st choice, they offered me digital role, basically filing and inputting day which I wouldn't have minded if it was within reach

Yeah I'd definitely contact them and just triple check that the offer you've got now is correct as I thought that they had the most places for Business! Definitely try and see if you can maybe just get an offer in the NW! You think they'd source enough places for each location before accepting everyone but that would seem to make too much sense 🙄
Reply 1592
I know unbelievable organisational skills, Im awaiting their reply, just AA Autorouted the offer they gave me, 1 hr 24 minutes via M62, thats without traffic so 2 hours plus, they have just offered crap as they know I wont accept it, fuming is an understatement

It's really bad that they sent your offer to the wrong person I agree with that.

However all through the process they never guarantee that you will get an offer at your preferred location. It goes on how well you scored to who is placed first and if there was 300 people that passed and wanted Liverpool and only 250 jobs ( just an example) then 50 people are going to be disappointed.

I agree the process is frustrating but when you think about the scale of the thing I think it is understandable that it takes time to place everyone.
Original post by Mrs_B
It's really bad that they sent your offer to the wrong person I agree with that.

However all through the process they never guarantee that you will get an offer at your preferred location. It goes on how well you scored to who is placed first and if there was 300 people that passed and wanted Liverpool and only 250 jobs ( just an example) then 50 people are going to be disappointed.

I agree the process is frustrating but when you think about the scale of the thing I think it is understandable that it takes time to place everyone.

I personally think they are so unorganised and the way they are dealing with everything is dreadful, not the professional take they should be wanting all future employees to be seeing in my opinion.
I still haven't heard as to where I'll be placed, in fact I haven't heard from them in weeks. My anxiety levels are through the roof and I will be so unbelievably annoyed if I have to turn down an offer because of its location. For over three months I've not been looking at jobs because they said 'congratulations' just wait to hear where you'll be...
Best had find out by the 31st like they said!
Reply 1594
Original post by CatherineFoulkes
I personally think they are so unorganised and the way they are dealing with everything is dreadful, not the professional take they should be wanting all future employees to be seeing in my opinion.
I still haven't heard as to where I'll be placed, in fact I haven't heard from them in weeks. My anxiety levels are through the roof and I will be so unbelievably annoyed if I have to turn down an offer because of its location. For over three months I've not been looking at jobs because they said 'congratulations' just wait to hear where you'll be...
Best had find out by the 31st like they said!

I really don't see what about it is unprofessional. It's a long process yes but they are placing hundreds of people up and down the country so it’s not going to be fast. They made everyone aware at the assessment day it was a lengthy process. I understand your anxiety as I am also anxious to get a start date and know that everything is 100% confirmed. I am sure everyone in this process is.

If they don't let you know by Thursday when they have given you a date stating you will know by then yes I agree that’s out of order.
Reply 1595
We will see how calm you are once they have provided your offer

I have my offer already. Even if I didn't I wouldn't be calling the process unprofessional. I think expectations at the beginning were set. It is a long process that takes time. You may be disappointed in your offer but they will do the best to accommodate you.

If you can’t/won’t relocate and they don’t have the job availability there is nothing they can really do for you.
Reply 1596
Thats obviously why you are calm then, if they never had my location then simply tell me there is nothing, dont offer me crap that they know I cant accept, looking at things with blinkers on because you touched lucky is great for you, obviously not for the people who got SH#T on, Im gonna leave it here now before I say something I regret but good luck in your posting

I am not calm at all. I am still on edge about all my checks going through. I don't think anyone going through this process will be calm until the first day at work when they know 100% they have a role.

How do they know you can't accept it? Have you told them you can't relocate?

I am not looking at anything with blinkers on thanks. I am being honest and a realist about the process. All I said was I don't think it can be described as unprofessional just because you and others haven't been offered the location you wanted. They are dealing with hundreds of jobs and people it is impossible to make everyone happy.
Reply 1597
As long as you are happy then the world is a happier place

Yeah because thats what I said. I am happy so who cares about anyone else :/

Sorry for being a realist and just pointing out the fact that it's impossible for everyone to get located where they want too.
Reply 1598
you will do well in the Civil Service, good luck, also good luck to Mr B, he needs it

I have tried to stay nice but obviously not working for you.

1999 hmm so I assume you are 17/18 my god does is show!!! When you have lived in the real world for another 10-15 years then you might become a bit more realistic and understand that not everything in life can’t go exactly the way you want it. Grow up and understand that life is not all rosey and sh*t happens.

They have offered you a place if you can’t take it that is not their fault. Obviously the places in your top location choice have been filled with more suitable candidates who scored higher.

Mr B doesn’t need any luck thanks. He thinks he is very lucky indeed to have married me.

I will do well because I obviously understand a lot more how business works than you do!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,
Ive been offered a place on the Digital & Technology scheme for HMRC in London.
Ive only just been sent the pre employment forms so i will have to wait 6-8 weeks before i find out my salary.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience to make a good assumption of what the salary will be?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending