The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey all!

Well, I am now an official 2nd year Physio student at Teesside - woohoo! And it only took blood, sweat and tears to get here, as evidenced by my previous blog :biggrin: . Anyway, here is the general run through. The modules this year are Dissertation Preparation (we do the actual dissertation module next year), Physiotherapy in Cardiovascular and Respiratory Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy in Neurological Rehabilitation (seeing a common theme here yet?!) and finally two modules called Practice Placement - 1A & 1B, and 2A & 2B. Phew!

As far as the timetable for the year goes, this past week was spent in lectures for the Dissertation module. For the next 4 weeks we have the other modules, then we are on placement for 4 weeks. Then we begin another week of the dissertation week, and so on for the rest of the year, except for holidays. Altogether there are 3 weeks involved in the Dissertation module, and 3 placements of 4 weeks each. :eek:

This week we have been doing a general run through of various things to do with qualitative, quantitative etc. Being honest, this past week hasn't floated my boat - I have no interest in the stuff, and probably never will, but I will be needing it. By the end of this year we have to have submitted a Proposal for our Dissertation, so this is a necessary evil :wink: .

Well, that's pretty much all for now - I'll have to update this next week when I've actually done something interesting!

I'll add the address for the first year blog so that any late-comers who want to see what the first year was like can go and visit. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=291934
Hi all.

Second week over and done with, and I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. It's not been quite what I thought it would be - mostly we've been doing case studies, where we have some details about a fictional patient and have to determine their important symptoms, how to assess them, and how to treat them, and sometimes carry out the treatment on another student. It's group work though, so that makes it better.

The CVR module this year is concerned with the heart, lungs and corresponding systems (e.g. veins and arteries), and the conditions that fall under those headings.

Musculoskeletal looks at and I quote: Functional anatomy of the spinal column and trunk, Underlying conditions affecting the spine, Assessment of spinal disorders, Treatment of spinal disorders, Pain mechanisms, Womens health.

Neurological is concerened with the CNS and PNS (Central or Peripheral nervous systems, eg brain, spinal cord and nerves) and the diseases related to them.

Practice Placement 2A and B is also called Psychosocial Aspects of Physiotherapy, and is essentially Psychology and Sociology related to health.

Not much else has been happening this past week, except Fresher's Fair (free stuff! Free sweets!). But next week I am meeting my new buddy's - a bunch of first years I'm going to attached to, in case they want to speak to an experienced grown up ....... Yeah right! :biggrin:

Anyway, I'll let you know how my new sheep-dogging role goes.

Bye for now!
jinglepupskye
I forgot to mention my placements - or maybe I would like to forget my placements!

I'm doing Orthopaedics, then Elderly and then MSK Outpatients. Lovely. Only problem is that the first and third placements are 40 miles away! Like I don't have enough travelling to do. So I will have to leave the house at 6.30am to get a bus to Durham, then get a train down to the place, and then a 20 minute walk to the hospital. Do it all in reverse coming home and arrive about 7.30pm. So a 13 hour day and around £290 for travelling expenses over the four weeks!

I've tried moaning about it at the university but the reaction seems to be that I should just get on with it! Huh! Meanwhile in the real world people think they must be crazy sending me so far away.

The best part of it though is the third placement. I have to go 40 miles and work a 13 hour day while one of the girls travels up to my town from Middlesbrough to do a placement in a hospital 15 minutes walk away from my house, and we are both doing the same speciality. It really does your head in.

I've spent most of the weekend trying out options for travelling going via Durham or Middlesbrough. I can't get a lift as the others want to leave Middlesbrough by 8am and I can't get there until 8.15am.

The only other alternative is to stay in the place and just come home on a weekend for work. That's going to be fun. Either work 5 13 hour days and then the weekend at Asda or stay away and just come back for the work.

My mum says she is beginning to wonder if chucking it all in for a full time job at Asda wouldn't be easier and less stressful! And I would have more money as well!
Reply 4
to make it abit easier - you'll be able to claim your travelcosts back if you get a bursary. Not helpful when you've got to pay it out at first, but at least you'll know you'll get it back.

Have you asked about swopping with the person who is closest?

Oh - and you're do your placements in the same order I did mine :biggrin:

The other thing is - placements may get cancelled and rearranged.....so you could still end up somewhere closer for the other placements :smile:
Hi Jackie.

Thanks for the advice - I knew that I could claim back my travel expenses, but the problem is finding that money in the first place. I'm hoping that I may qualify for getting the money in advance, which is done in circumstances where you've claimed all the money you can, the cost is more than your bursary (definitely!), and the uni backs you up.

I've got an appointment to speak to the person organising the placements on Monday, and there are people who would be willing to swap with me for different hospitals but same types of placement, so we'll see what's said. It's weird we're doing the same ones!

See you later!
jinglepupskye

P.S Jackie, is there anything you can suggest for my first placement in orthopaedics? Eg books that are useful to have, things useful to know going in etc. Thanks!
Reply 6
jinglepupskye
Hi Jackie.

Thanks for the advice - I knew that I could claim back my travel expenses, but the problem is finding that money in the first place. I'm hoping that I may qualify for getting the money in advance, which is done in circumstances where you've claimed all the money you can, the cost is more than your bursary (definitely!), and the uni backs you up.

I've got an appointment to speak to the person organising the placements on Monday, and there are people who would be willing to swap with me for different hospitals but same types of placement, so we'll see what's said. It's weird we're doing the same ones!

See you later!
jinglepupskye

P.S Jackie, is there anything you can suggest for my first placement in orthopaedics? Eg books that are useful to have, things useful to know going in etc. Thanks!

yes - I can think of a few things....I'll PM you - probably this afternoon :smile:
Hi all!

Well, another week over and done with - and one week closer to placement :eek: . I'm going down before I start, to check the place out, and make sure I can find my way to the hospital :biggrin:. It should be okay - I've been in contact with them to see what kind of things I'll need to know, like hip and knee replacements, bone fractures and healing, etc.

Uni has been pretty much the same, except I really enjoyed the lesson yesterday - we did a bit of massage at the start and some muscle stretches, then gait analysis followed by some lower back massage. It's good to do practical stuff, as it keeps your skills fresh. Next week we have a lecture about the visiting tutors for our placements, so I'll see what's said.

See you all later!
Hi guys!

Well, placement is nearly upon us, and I'm terrified! I've been doing some revision of the common procedures, so that should be okay hopefully. The lecture we were having about the placement ended with us carrying away an armful of paperwork that has to be filled in by the end of it, including evaluation forms :eek: . The lessons have been pretty much the same, except for the one yesterday (MSR), when we were in large groups watching a roleplay of a subjective assessment (a spoken one) and had to write down the findings. I think I would have preferred to do it in pairs, but whatever.

Anyway, I'll update when I've recovered from the fun of my first day :p: .

See you later!
Alternates between running round room like a looney screaming and lying on the floor whimpering "I don't wanna!"
First day over and what a day!

Left the house at 6.25am and finally arrived home at 8.25pm. Total and complete nightmare. Going down was no problem but coming home! Missed the first train because of getting lost trying a short-cut recommended to me! Second train was 20 minutes late because of wonky points north of York. So after leaving the hospital at 4.45pm it was actually gone 6.20 before I left town. Got to Durham to find that I had missed two buses and had to prat around for 40 minutes waiting for the next one. Was so relieved to get home that I just flung my arms around mum and said I was never going to leave the house again!

All to do again tomorrow. At least I now know the bus to Durham trundles along the top of my street so I don't need to walk down to the town centre. Hurrah! I know there is a bus from the railway station three quarters of the way to hospital so it saves about 15minutes walk. I just need to find out if there is a bus from the hospital to the station coming home. If not, mum says stuff the money, and get a taxi!

Apparently she has been the recipient of ceoncerned phone calls all day, asking if the 'bairn' got to hospital all right! My grandad even phoned me when I was on the bus coming home to make sure that I caught it all right. Damn right I did. I had stood in wait for it for 40 minutes and it would have to drive over my rotting corpse before I would let it out of Durham without me!

What about the placement, itself? It was fine. A boatload of paperwork to read and absorb. I only caught a glimpse of one of the other students as we were in various places. Everyone seems friendly so we will see how the rest of the placement progresses.

Heading to bed now to try and get a few hours kip.

By the way, don't believe Kirsty and Phil. Middlesbrough may not be the best place to live but it still has a lot going for it!
Reply 11
sorry, I forgot to make you that list of things to revise or read up on!!! I'll do it here now

- soft tissue healing times
- fracture healing times
- common procedures - total hip replacement, total knee replacements, NOF fractures
- Hip precautions
- Different types of internal and external fixaton e.g. talo-spacial frames (sp?), dynamic hip screws, k wires etc
- Indications/Contraindications for different types of gait aid
Well, first week is finally over, and it feels like I never left the place :s-smilie: . It has also flown over, so all in all very weird. It's not been a bad week - after being shown around the first day the rest of the week was spent mostly on the elective ward, mobilising hip and knee replacement patients, and one afternoon was spent with ACL patients on the day unit. Obviously it helps knowing about those procedures :p: , but on the whole we use the same treatment regime that is set out for each operation. Apparently the hospital knows those set up's work. I've seen a bit more of the the others at the hospital, but just during dinner times. The travelling seems to have settled into a routine now too :smile:

JackieS, thanks for the list - I'd already revised pretty much all of that, but I do appreciate it :biggrin: .

Anyway, early night for me.
Bye guys!
Well, the placement is now over - thank goodness! I'm absolutely knackered now, the travelling has just had me so run down :frown: . But I don't have to go there any more this year - don't know about next year though! I really hope not, I don't think I could cope with another 4 weeks travelling like that. I'm actually amazed the travelling wasn't worse though, as the bus was only late one day - the last one too! I was terrified I would miss my train.

Anyway, mostly the placement has gone alright, but I have had a run-in with my clinical educator. I got 57% in the end despite everything :biggrin: , which gives me a good clear pass. For the first two placements we only need to get a pass to progress. I spent the first two weeks on the elective ward, then the next two on Trauma. Trauma was mostly fractures, especially neck of femur, but some respiratory problems along with that. Spent some more time on the day unit too, which is mostly arthroscopies, especially for meniscus tears. I also got to spend half a day with the nurses on the elective ward caring for the patients by doing bed baths and checking for pressure sores, and helping to transfer them onto their own beds after surgery. Half a day was spent on a home visit with the OT's, where we did a pre-assessment of a patient coming in for a total hip replacement. We checked the general space available, the height of the chairs, the height of any steps (including into the shower, luckily he had one), stairs and getting into cars. Both were very cool, as you don't really know what's involved in a job until you've done it.

I also had the chance to watch two surgeries - a total hip replacement and a total knee replacement. I was nervous beforehand, but it was a really good opportunity - I was able to see everything when they were replacing the knee, including sawing off the articular surfaces, then checking the size of the bone for the replacement, and finally cementing the real replacement on. It takes quite a while, and lots of sawing to get the bone exactly right. Basically they chop off the tibial plateau, and square off the end of the femur. I couldn't see as much for the hip replacement because of its position and the height of the table - the surgeon had to get a step to stand on! After dislocating the hip he used a saw that looks like a colander to shave the inside of the acetabulum, then they get a long drill to make the initial hole in the femur (after chopping off the head), then use another drill the shape of the end of the replacement, and gradually increase the size of the drill till the hole is big enough. Then they cement the replacement in.

Overall it's been a really good experience, working with the patients, despite being kinda scary till I got used to it. I think it has brought me on a lot, so now I'm looking forward to my next placement in Elderly, after a week at uni for the Dissertation Prep module. I will be missing a couple of days of the Dissertation Prep as I am spending next weekend at Disneyland Paris for my cousin's 21st birthday. Unfortunately I miss the 'big girls' trip to Amsterdam the following week as I will be out on placement. Still, I must admit to having doubts about crossing the North Sea in November!

Well, I'll let you know how the next goes!
See you!
First week of second practice is over and this one seems as though it is going to be really busy! Virtually non-stop, in fact. I'm based on an elderly ward and most of the cases are to do with diseases that the elderly are prone to such as arthrititis or Parkinsons. Most of the work involves mobilising patients and doing things such as transferring them from bed to chair. I spend some time with the OT as well.

Travel to this hopital is still a problem as the A19 is currently being used as a diversion route for roadworks in the area. The amount of traffic is incredible and my bus has gone from reaching Middlesbrough at 8:10 to not getting there until 8:40. As I still have a 30 minute journey after that to the hospital it is difficult to get there by 8:30, the start time!

I had a great time at Disney last weekend but have been loaded with cold ever since! I had to take a day's holiday from work today as I felt so bad. Wish I didn't have to go into the placement tomorrow. Mum says there should be a Government health warning on me, and my nan refused to kiss me goodbye tonight in case she got it!

If anyone has any advice about SOAP notes it would be good to hear from you as they are a major issue in this placement and I wouldn't mind getting a few other opinions on what to include and how to phrase them.

The physio Christmas Party is on the 13th December, the last but one day of the placement. I still haven't made up my mind whether to go or not as I will be working at least part of the last day in order to make sure that I have all my hours in for this placement. I think most people will use it as a study day so that they can finish early.

When we were in uni last week there was some discussion about the length of the placements. The staff would like to lenghen them so that they have to organise fewer placements and we have been asked if we think that 6 or 8 week placements would be better than the current 4 weeks that we do. Personally I think 8 weeks is too long especially if you have a quiet place where there is not much going on. For me six weeks would be a reasonable amount of time. Quite a few people objected on the grounds that some placements are not as good learning opportunities as others and it would be a waste of time staying there for 8 weeks. It will only affect those starting in September next years so it's not a problem for me!

Take care.
Reply 15
what exctly is your problem re: soap notes?
Hi Jackie - thanks for offering to help out (again!). Basically they aren't detailed enough, so I've done some research about what to include and I'm going to have a chat with my educator tomorrow and see what is said. I've also looked at the best way of writing them, as I can be long winded at times :p: . I'm hoping I have a better handle on them now, especially since this is my second placement, and I'm going to be making a major effort to get them right before my mid-way evaluation. I'm going to be looking back over others' notes to try and see the differences, so touch wood that will work.

I'll let you know how I get on!
Reply 17
jinglepupskye
Hi Jackie - thanks for offering to help out (again!). Basically they aren't detailed enough, so I've done some research about what to include and I'm going to have a chat with my educator tomorrow and see what is said. I've also looked at the best way of writing them, as I can be long winded at times :p: . I'm hoping I have a better handle on them now, especially since this is my second placement, and I'm going to be making a major effort to get them right before my mid-way evaluation. I'm going to be looking back over others' notes to try and see the differences, so touch wood that will work.

I'll let you know how I get on!
it takes a while to get there. I'm on placement 4 and at my half way my supervisor wrote that my notes were concise and accurate - thats the first time its ever happened. All the other educators have metnioned I write essays lol

Tip: Learn your standard abbreviations - it saves you so much time it's untrue!

If you need any help then PM me - if you want you could type something that you've written previosuly into a PM and I could go through it for you and suggest abbreviations, ways to shorten etc
Well, for me the placement is over - and I failed it. Damn. The reasons? I was simply useless, the lights were on but there was no-one home.

One of the tutors came to see me on Thursday, said I looked ill and that she was stopping the placement. I think the travelling for the first placement had caught up with me and the stress and travel problems in the second placement were just too much for me to cope with.

On the wards I couldn't do right for doing wrong and my CE obviously thought I was a complete waste of space as I was late getting in each morning because of the diversions on the A19.

I have seen the doctor and he agrees with the uni tutor that I may be anaemic and so the nurse took a blood sample and I get the results on Monday. With my luck I will probably fail that as well! Personally, I think that I am just completely knackered and a few nights sleep will put me right. I hope so anyway as I really don't suit the red eyed, about to cry look!

To add to my woes I have lost about ten pounds in weight over the past few weeks and my mum is going into panic mode! Thank God I cancelled the appointment with my Crohn's consultant because of the placement, or he would have me spending Christmas with either a tube up my nose or drinking foul drinks prescribed by the dietician. Yuck!

Anyway, onwards and upwards! I hope everyone has a good Christmas and gets all that they want. Hopefully the new year will have a bit more cheerful news for me to impart!
Reply 19
Sorry to hear that Jingle - because they stopped the placement does it actually count as a fail? Or an incomplete? If its only incomplete you should be able to resit with no repercussions on your mark. Rest up good over xmas and hopefully you'll be feeling much better

If need to chat over anything give me a PM or email me
xx

Latest