The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Edexcel- 9-1- Poetry Anthology Help (Urgent!)

Hi,
I'm doing the edexcel course for english gcse and I need some major help with the poetry anthology. I do not know how to revise it!! Most of all if anyone knows, could you give me the comparisons that each poem has with another? Just the names of which to compare with what please, because I have absolutely no idea and I have a mock on this in 2 days
Original post by Sneedshelp
Hi,
I'm doing the edexcel course for english gcse and I need some major help with the poetry anthology. I do not know how to revise it!! Most of all if anyone knows, could you give me the comparisons that each poem has with another? Just the names of which to compare with what please, because I have absolutely no idea and I have a mock on this in 2 days

which theme are you doing? Is it the love and relationships or conflict or time and place? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by eleanorcarol
which theme are you doing? Is it the love and relationships or conflict or time and place? :smile:

I'm doing conflict
I'm doing conflict

Okay, I do power and conflict but for the AQA anthology so I only know Exposure, Light Brigade, Prelude, Poppies and War Photographer.
At least for those ones you cover a lot of themes, but you can only compare two poems that have a central common theme- so focus on that, rather than just pairing off similar poems.
Exposure you can compare to almost all poems so learn that one the most.

If power of nature comes up, compare exposure or the prelude if you can. Compare how in the Prelude, nature is first presented as beautiful 'she was an elfin pinnace' which is a metaphor for making the scene seem magical and otherworldly. Then talk about how Exposure presents nature as much more threatening- a sort of silent killer through assonance, onomatopoeia and verbs like 'gunnery rumbles' with creates a vivid aural description.

A theme linking a lot of them is the effect of conflict, this includes charge of the light brigade, exposure, poppies and war photographer so all of those can be compared on this theme. ie the effect is always negative.

Poppies and war photographer also have the theme of memory so can be compared.

Charge of the light brigade and poopies also have the theme of identity, light brigade about the glory of the six hundred, whilst poppies is a mother longing for her son and him being still a boy to her.

I hope this helps a bit, sorry but i don't know about the other poems in the anthology but good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by eleanorcarol
Okay, I do power and conflict but for the AQA anthology so I only know Exposure, Light Brigade, Prelude, Poppies and War Photographer.
At least for those ones you cover a lot of themes, but you can only compare two poems that have a central common theme- so focus on that, rather than just pairing off similar poems.
Exposure you can compare to almost all poems so learn that one the most.

If power of nature comes up, compare exposure or the prelude if you can. Compare how in the Prelude, nature is first presented as beautiful 'she was an elfin pinnace' which is a metaphor for making the scene seem magical and otherworldly. Then talk about how Exposure presents nature as much more threatening- a sort of silent killer through assonance, onomatopoeia and verbs like 'gunnery rumbles' with creates a vivid aural description.

A theme linking a lot of them is the effect of conflict, this includes charge of the light brigade, exposure, poppies and war photographer so all of those can be compared on this theme. ie the effect is always negative.

Poppies and war photographer also have the theme of memory so can be compared.

Charge of the light brigade and poopies also have the theme of identity, light brigade about the glory of the six hundred, whilst poppies is a mother longing for her son and him being still a boy to her.

I hope this helps a bit, sorry but i don't know about the other poems in the anthology but good luck!

Thank you ever so much for taking your time to help me on this! I really appreciate it it has helped me plan my revision better for my exam :smile:
Thank you ever so much for taking your time to help me on this! I really appreciate it it has helped me plan my revision better for my exam :smile:

No problem! It helped me to prepare for my exam by just thinking through all the poems again ahah. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending