The Student Room Group

Primary schools are racist

My primary school wrongly preached and promoted christianity to us and made us sing christian hymns. Having spoken to people who went to different schools they all had the same experience. How is it ok for primary schools to promote Jesus and not allah? In my opinion if you make people recite the lords prayer you should also make them recite the shahada so the children are exposed to some islamic culture. How schools in this country have got away with this blatant discrimination for so long is beyond me.
Not sure how this is racist? :confused:
Do children in Islamic countries recite the lords prayer? If not, then case closed.
:facepalm:
Crack out the dictionary for a second mate.
Very racist:facepalm:
Reply 6
I'm British Indian and a Sikh, but just saying England is traditionally a Christian country not Muslim and the Muslim population is very low in comparison too. Only like 5% or something. In my 2nd primary school (I moved) there was no Muslims, in my first primary school there was like 15 Muslims total in the whole school. But it's more to do with the fact that traditionally England is Christian.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by intelligent con
My primary school wrongly preached and promoted christianity to us and made us sing christian hymns. Having spoken to people who went to different schools they all had the same experience. How is it ok for primary schools to promote Jesus and not allah? In my opinion if you make people recite the lords prayer you should also make them recite the shahada so the children are exposed to some islamic culture. How schools in this country have got away with this blatant discrimination for so long is beyond me.

By law every primary school in the country must have a daily act of worship, and this should generally be Christian unless the school has a majority of another religion and the governors of the school and I believe the local council have to decide otherwise for them to do an act of worship of another faith. This country is a Christian majority country, so it is understandable for this to be so. Personally I do believe that faith should be left out of school completely besides for teaching Religious Studies, but that is another matter.
Edit: To put things into perspective, at my primary school there were no muslims at all, everyone was Christian or had no faith. Then again I do live in a county with barely any multicultural diversity...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emduck
By law every primary school in the country must have a daily act of worship (1), and this should generally be Christian unless the school has a majority of another religion and the governors of the school and I believe the local council have to decide otherwise for them to do an act of worship of another faith. This country is a Christian majority country, so it is understandable for this to be so. Personally I do believe that faith should be left out of school (2) completely besides for teaching Religious Studies, but that is another matter.
Edit: To put things into perspective, at my primary school there were no muslims at all, everyone was Christian or had no faith. Then again I do live in a county with barely any multicultural diversity...

Can you quote or link that law, out of genuine interest?

How do you mean? What about religious themes and arguments taught critically elsewhere in humanities, such as in philosophy/politics?

Original post by emduck
By law every primary school in the country must have a daily act of worship, and this should generally be Christian unless the school has a majority of another religion and the governors of the school and I believe the local council have to decide otherwise for them to do an act of worship of another faith. This country is a Christian majority country, so it is understandable for this to be so. Personally I do believe that faith should be left out of school completely besides for teaching Religious Studies, but that is another matter.

I never did any worship.

If true, it's a bit of a dumbass law :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx

Can you quote or link that law, out of genuine interest?

How do you mean? What about religious themes and arguments taught critically elsewhere in humanities, such as in philosophy/politics?

1. I remembered it out of a general studies paper, so I had to search a bit, I think this mentions it. As I said, I wasn't 100% sure on the bit about being able to change the act of worship to another faith. The summary explains it I think.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/281929/Collective_worship_in_schools.pdf
2. I think I may have used wrong wording, I mean I see it as okay in terms of educating others like in that sort of environment, I disagree with it in terms of getting children to say prayers and hymns as I feel it is hard to be inclusive of all faiths and to me it isn't something a school should be doing, as I feel they should be educating children.

edit: it seems the website the source from the general studies paper I did no longer exists (as it was a 2011 paper) so I can't quote that.. Sorry!
(edited 7 years ago)
You speak truth I used to go to a catholic primary and there were Muslims there but because there was a minority they still had to go to Catholic Church with the school and I wasn’t catholic but I still had to sing and pray the same way everyone in the school did it’s a case of if there’s only a small amount of people that don’t follow that religion then there’s no point in making everyone learn new gyms or new prayer So I don’t see how it’s racist schools don’t have time to teach the students new hymns or prayers just because of a minority of students now please don’t feel offended by what I said I’m not trying to be racist In any way I’m just stating the obvious
Reply 12
Original post by OddGeekGirl07YT
You speak truth I used to go to a catholic primary and there were Muslims there but because there was a minority they still had to go to Catholic Church with the school and I wasn’t catholic but I still had to sing and pray the same way everyone in the school did it’s a case of if there’s only a small amount of people that don’t follow that religion then there’s no point in making everyone learn new gyms or new prayer So I don’t see how it’s racist schools don’t have time to teach the students new hymns or prayers just because of a minority of students now please don’t feel offended by what I said I’m not trying to be racist In any way I’m just stating the obvious

thread is three years old, why resurrect it?!
Race and religion are two different things OP
Faith schools=stratification
Lol my primary school rarely did anything like that but when they did, I was able to sit out because my parents didn't want me to take part in it. They don't force you to take part in the religious activities. Or maybe this was just the case in my primary school.
I don't get why we had to sing. What was the point? It's school not a church.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymusy
I don't get why we had to sing. What was the point? It's school not a church.

I don't see why we had to go to the nearby church twice a year. And they forced us to pay up when entering so they were making us pay a f*cking fee for that bullsh*t.

I have a low tolerance for religion honestly when it's shoved down throats.

Latest