The Student Room Group

UCL or UOB Chemical Engineering

This is the situation atm. I live in Birmingham atm and not sure which uni to go to.
In my opinion these are the pros of each. Need help choosing.

UOB:
Pros: Its local. As I am doing a year in industry (working) I will generate alot more links with companies with my work experience during this time. UOB as a whole has a lot more connections with major companies like GSK, BP, Unilever etc. Part of the "Russel Group" universities. Higher student satisfaction rate and employment rate (95%!!)

Cons: Repuation not as strong as UCL but still "Russel Group" so known internationally.

UCL:
Pros: I get to move out. Its London. They have a very good repuation and are well-known internationally. Part of the "Russel Group" universities.

Cons: There is no course or anything I can do to work a year abroad during the course which will make me harder to find a job after I finish the course. Lower employment rate (85%).

This is basically what I see in each Uni. For me I think it really comes down to the fact of which I prioritise. Uni's repuation or my connections after leaving.
At the moment I'm leaning towards UOB as I'm still getting a degree from a "Russel Group" university and they are both IChemE recognised so its not much a difference, however I've been told that experience is key in this industry and that "Its not what you know its who you know".

Please let me me hear your opinion to help me decide because I really am struggling to come to a conclusion. Thanks in advance
The Russell group means nothing at undergrad level so you can lose that notion right away. Networks and work experience are key so pick based on that and of course course content.
Original post by alevelsarecrap
This is the situation atm. I live in Birmingham atm and not sure which uni to go to.
In my opinion these are the pros of each. Need help choosing.

UOB:
Pros: Its local. As I am doing a year in industry (working) I will generate alot more links with companies with my work experience during this time. UOB as a whole has a lot more connections with major companies like GSK, BP, Unilever etc. Part of the "Russel Group" universities. Higher student satisfaction rate and employment rate (95%!!)

Cons: Repuation not as strong as UCL but still "Russel Group" so known internationally.

UCL:
Pros: I get to move out. Its London. They have a very good repuation and are well-known internationally. Part of the "Russel Group" universities.

Cons: There is no course or anything I can do to work a year abroad during the course which will make me harder to find a job after I finish the course. Lower employment rate (85%).

This is basically what I see in each Uni. For me I think it really comes down to the fact of which I prioritise. Uni's repuation or my connections after leaving.
At the moment I'm leaning towards UOB as I'm still getting a degree from a "Russel Group" university and they are both IChemE recognised so its not much a difference, however I've been told that experience is key in this industry and that "Its not what you know its who you know".

Please let me me hear your opinion to help me decide because I really am struggling to come to a conclusion. Thanks in advance

I got an offer from UCL for ChemEng and I went there for an offer holder day. At first I thought that they didn't have a YII or a year abroad as well but they do. You cant really find a lot on their website but I had to dig quite deep in and they had only mentioned it. But yh on the Offer day they did mention many different US, European and Australian based unis for a year abroad and they also did mention YIN for companies like Pepsico.

Quick Reply

Latest