The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Half way to 100k and I still feel poor. I do think that, no matter how much you earn, you will always feel "poor" unless you change your attitude to money. You just keep upping your lifestyle standards everytime money goes up :frown:. Its a vicious cycle, which I need to get out of.

My friend earns around £1,200 a day as a contractor but you wouldn't know it as his life seems no less stressful than someone on minimum wage.
Original post by Steljoy
I'd consider my self experienced in terms of programming since I started to learn them at a very young age and by the time I finish my masters I would be a great programmer/ethical hacker.

So to confirm, you have no professional IT experience?

Straight out of university, given the ranking of your uni, you'll probably be looking at a graduate salary of around £35,000. If you think you're going to get £70,000 straight out of university you're delusional and completely detached from any awareness of the jobs market.
Original post by Colorplause
I would consider 35k the minimum in the North and 60k the minimum in London.

Ideally I'd like to earn 45k starting salary after university

I'm always baffled by the unrealistic expectations people on TSR have.
Original post by AlexanderHam
So to confirm, you have no professional IT experience?

Straight out of university, given the ranking of your uni, you'll probably be looking at a graduate salary of around £35,000. If you think you're going to get £70,000 straight out of university you're delusional and completely detached from any awareness of the jobs market.

Once again, you are putting words into my mouth I never said I will earn 70k straight out of university, the question was "What is a good Salary" and I mentioned the minimum salary that I consider "Good". I know very well the starting salary is around £35k, thanks for stating the obvious!
Reply 24
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
Don't know how anyone could survive on £50 a year.

fully laughed at this ahaaa gg
If she's starting on £22,000 now it's very unlikely she'll be on £100,000 ten years from now. I think she is unrealistic in her expectations of her earnings growth, and is likely to have even less in the way of salary growth if she comes across as pushy and entitled beyond what her talent justifies.

In London, £55000 is a decent livable salary if you have a partner. It's enough to get a mortgage on a decent place. Keep in mind that's double the average UK salary.

If she's starting on £22,000 now it's very unlikely she'll be on £100,000 ten years from now. I think she is unrealistic in her expectations of her earnings growth, and is likely to have even less in the way of salary growth if she comes across as pushy and entitled beyond what her talent justifies.

In London, £55000 is a decent livable salary if you have a partner. It's enough to get a mortgage on a decent place. Keep in mind that's double the average UK salary.

Yeah And when she said that, she was also saying that most people are lazy and incompetent but I'm great so I'll be rich. I wasn't sure why I was angry but I think it's the entitled attitude annoyed me 😂

I think 55000 is good in London but unless you have to be there, I think it's best to be somewhere cheaper. Speaking as a true northerner!
Original post by emerald7770
30k is decent
But anything over £40k I'd say is a good salary

Yeah I agree
I would consider 35k the minimum in the North and 60k the minimum in London.

Ideally I'd like to earn 45k starting salary after university

Starting salary? Wow what'd you study?
Original post by spofy
fully laughed at this ahaaa gg

Yeah my mistake 😃
Original post by Black Cat
I'm always baffled by the unrealistic expectations people on TSR have.

Yeah I've seen some people say they expect £40,000-£60,000 straight outta uni, and I think what plant are you living on?
Original post by small.littlefish
Starting salary? Wow what'd you study?

Mechanical eng, Design, Maths, Physics
Original post by mashbbk
Half way to 100k and I still feel poor. I do think that, no matter how much you earn, you will always feel "poor" unless you change your attitude to money. You just keep upping your lifestyle standards everytime money goes up :frown:. Its a vicious cycle, which I need to get out of.

My friend earns around £1,200 a day as a contractor but you wouldn't know it as his life seems no less stressful than someone on minimum wage.

There was some study that said happiness decreases once your earnings are above £37,000 I except it's because you have a higher cost of living, I.e rent, car so on.
Yeah I've seen some people say they expect £40,000-£60,000 straight outta uni, and I think what plant are you living on?

Depends what course you study at Uni. If you study something like Architectural engineering, Civil Engineering, Bio-Chem engineering etc . then you can look forward to minimum £40,000.
Original post by Steljoy
Once again, you are putting words into my mouth I never said I will earn 70k straight out of university, the question was "What is a good Salary" and I mentioned the minimum salary that I consider "Good". I know very well the starting salary is around £35k, thanks for stating the obvious!

Fair enough. I was responding to this;

For me at least £65-70k which I think I can easily earn by the time I finish my masters

But I accept you at your word
Mechanical eng, Design, Maths, Physics

Okay cool. I studied social sciences ( which I know TSR mocks 😂) so I have no idea on what a good salary for your sector would be, what do you expect to be earning though?
Fair enough. I was responding to this;

For me at least £65-70k which I think I can easily earn by the time I finish my masters

But I accept you at your word

My Apologies, I should have mentioned "Not straight after masters". That is what I meant :h:

I do accept the fact that fault was from my end, once again sorry
Depends what course you study at Uni. If you study something like Architectural engineering, Civil Engineering, Bio-Chem engineering etc . then you can look forward to minimum £40,000.

Hm tbh I don't know that sector so I might be totally wrong but it seems so high for a starting salary no? I mean as an average starting salary?
Hm tbh I don't know that sector so I might be totally wrong but it seems so high for a starting salary no? I mean as an average starting salary?

Engineering is different to other subjects. There's a huge age gap in the sector. Most Engineers are quite old and ready to retire (government failed to train enough young engineers), thats why in 5 years the salary will sky rocket.

With an engineering degree, you'd have no problem earning £30 per hour, I can't imagine how much it will increase in the near future.
i was talking to a friend the other day who has just graduated from a masters program in humanities and has got a job in central London for £22,000. She told me she expects to earn £30,000 in 2 years, and £100,000 in 10 years(she'll be 40 by then)....😲

It got me thinking, what's a good salary? I've always been skint since graduating, so I'd be happy with £30,000 living in the north (Manchester/Leeds/Scotland), as cheesy as it sounds I'd prefer less working hours, more enjoyable job or working for myself as long as I'm not really poor.

But speaking to some friends, they seem to expect £50+ salarys and below that isn't enough? Even though they chose the social science/humanities postgrad...😆

So What is a good salary? Am I being to unambitous?

A decent salary for a graduate is £25k+ but if you're not earning £35k+ 5 years after graduating something is wrong.
Engineering is different to other subjects. There's a huge age gap in the sector. Most Engineers are quite old and ready to retire (government failed to train enough young engineers), thats why in 5 years the salary will sky rocket.

With an engineering degree, you'd have no problem earning £30 per hour, I can't imagine how much it will increase in the near future.

Sounds great, good luck 🙂

Latest

Trending

Trending