The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Couple sharing a bedroom in student house?

So my boyfriend is currently in his first year at uni and living in a 2 bedroom flat sharing with a couple. Currently I'm not on the contract but I stay over during the week as he lives a lot closer to my college than I do.
After this year we want to properly move in together sharing a room and splitting the rent between us. However everywhere we are looking at there is either a maximum number of tenants which doesn't allow for a couple, so we would have to pay for a room each which 1. We don't want to do and 2. We can't afford
Does anyone have any sort of experience with this situation? I'm completely stuck and I know we still have ages until most properties go on the market for the next academic year but we kinda want to get it sorted otherwise we will start to feel insecure about next year

P.s sorry for the essay
You are going to have to persevere.
A LL will want to charge you as much as they can to account for he extra utility.

Unless you know the other tenants then they tend to be against couples, sex, bills and gets in the way of general house harmony.
Try spareroom to get an idea of the market and have a look there am sure its possible. obviously the better solution is a studio and then you can really live like a couple.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by Freazy101
So my boyfriend is currently in his first year at uni and living in a 2 bedroom flat sharing with a couple. Currently I'm not on the contract but I stay over during the week as he lives a lot closer to my college than I do.
After this year we want to properly move in together sharing a room and splitting the rent between us. However everywhere we are looking at there is either a maximum number of tenants which doesn't allow for a couple, so we would have to pay for a room each which 1. We don't want to do and 2. We can't afford
Does anyone have any sort of experience with this situation? I'm completely stuck and I know we still have ages until most properties go on the market for the next academic year but we kinda want to get it sorted otherwise we will start to feel insecure about next year

P.s sorry for the essay

Hey there,

Unfortunately, in my experience not many student houses will allow couples to share a room. As the user below suggested, you would probably be more likely to find a couples room in a regular home (ie, sharing with working professionals), though this would mean you'd be liable to pay council tax. However, I believe that when full-time students are resident (in addition to working tenants), there is a 25% discount on council tax. Please do double check this with your local council though!

The other option would be to live in a studio flat. If it was just the two of you and you were both full-time students, you wouldn't have to pay council tax. The deposit would probably be more than the deposit for a room, and if you rent through an agency you'd have to allow money to pay agency fees etc. You can try Spareroom or Gumtree to try and find rooms/studios to rent.

It might be worth contacting the Accommodation office at the uni in case they could suggest anything else. You can email them at [email protected], visit them at their office in the Philip Marchant building on campus, or call them on 01483 682466.

Hope this helps! :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending