The Student Room Group

Check engine light

Hi guys,

I have a Citroen C2 1.2 - 05 plate.
I have had my check engine light on for 2 weeks now. Prior to this, 3 months ago I had it fixed as apparently the MPH gage was sending dodgy signals to the engine (nothing serious apparently and it was fixed.
However, the light had of course reappeared.
It is always a steady light. However, yesterday after a 100 mile journey it flashed at me once, so I parked up for 10 minutes, reset the engine and the blinking/bleeping had stopped, again back to the steady, constant light.

My car never misfires or does anything out of the ordinary as it drives fine.

Does anyone know what the issue could be or whether the problem is serious / costly?

Thanks
Reply 1
I wouldn't take advice about something like that off the internet :/
Original post by RichardR21
Hi guys,

I have a Citroen C2 1.2 - 05 plate.
I have had my check engine light on for 2 weeks now. Prior to this, 3 months ago I had it fixed as apparently the MPH gage was sending dodgy signals to the engine (nothing serious apparently and it was fixed.
However, the light had of course reappeared.
It is always a steady light. However, yesterday after a 100 mile journey it flashed at me once, so I parked up for 10 minutes, reset the engine and the blinking/bleeping had stopped, again back to the steady, constant light.

My car never misfires or does anything out of the ordinary as it drives fine.

Does anyone know what the issue could be or whether the problem is serious / costly?

Thanks

Absolutely impossible to tell you whether it's serious or not, costly or a £5 job. An engine light could be absolutely anything. You need to plug it in and diagnose the fault - either at a garage or see if anyone you know has a fault code reader.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Absolutely impossible to tell you whether it's serious or not, costly or a £5 job. An engine light could be absolutely anything. You need to plug it in and diagnose the fault - either at a garage or see if anyone you know has a fault code reader.

PRSOM.

Reality Check beat me to it; it's impossible to tell without reading the fault codes, whether that be through the reader or the old brake pedal trick (dunno if this works on your car; on some you can make the EML flash the codes for you).

Any decent garage will do a free read of the ECU as long as you get your repairs done with them.
Reply 4
As others have said, first up would be to get a scan done. If the car drives as normal then I would imagine it would be on the cheaper end of the scale to get fixed but you never know until you get it scanned.
Original post by IWMTom
PRSOM.

Reality Check beat me to it; it's impossible to tell without reading the fault codes, whether that be through the reader or the old brake pedal trick (dunno if this works on your car; on some you can make the EML flash the codes for you).

Any decent garage will do a free read of the ECU as long as you get your repairs done with them.

Yeah I don't want to take it to chance because knowing my luck it'll end up costing me and arm and a leg.
I've rang 3 garages, all wanting £30 / £35 plus VAT. That's just to get the check
Reply 6
Original post by RichardR21
Yeah I don't want to take it to chance because knowing my luck it'll end up costing me and arm and a leg.
I've rang 3 garages, all wanting £30 / £35 plus VAT. That's just to get the check

If you're handy with a smartphone you can pick up a cheap OBD2 reader from eBay for a few quid and plug it in yourself. They work over Bluetooth. I recommend the app Piston on Android.
Original post by IWMTom
If you're handy with a smartphone you can pick up a cheap OBD2 reader from eBay for a few quid and plug it in yourself. They work over Bluetooth. I recommend the app Piston on Android.

I'll look into that then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending