The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What is law school like?

I have recently received an offer of admission from the University of Liverpool and would possibly be attending the university this coming fall. I am a Canadian citizen/resident and will be travelling to the U.K as an international student.

However, before I leap towards accepting the offer, I had a number of questions that I would like to get answered; considering that I was primarily educated in Canada, I am quite naive about the educational system in the U.K.

First of all, what is studying law at the University of Liverpool like? I do not expect it to be easy, nor do I believe that I will breeze through the program, but I just wanted to gain an insight knowledge about the university and its bachelor of law program.
Secondly, what am I expecting to learn from my readings? I have always had a habit of reading through an entire textbook, rather than focusing on a specific topic as per the curriculum; I do not wish to make the same mistake when attending law school.
Lastly, what are the exams in law school like? Are they predominantly multiple choice or essay based? Based on what a lot of my peers have informed me, I am aware that certain courses are weighted entirely based of one exam. And I have also learned that in the U.K, you cannot repeat any failed third year courses. In the event that I do fail a course in the third year, would I be eligible to repeat the process in order to obtain my degree? I do not wish to return to Canada empty-handed.

Thank you
I didn't attend Liverpool, but I studied Law at Leeds. If its the same setup, then there are lectures for which you get detailed notes. Frankly I didn't bother attending all of the lectures to hear someone read me notes - I can read them myself! There are also seminars for which you are expected to prepare. Attendance at these is monitored so I did attend these, and they were useful anyway.

Its not a heavy contact course, and a lot of self study is required so your reading will help rather than hinder.

I can't answer your query regarding retaking your final year, sorry.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending