The Student Room Group

University is pointless, You know it, your wasting your life?

My baddd
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just because you think it is pointless, doesn't mean other people will. There are jobs out there that require degrees, that doesn't mean university is pointless. I'm taking a gap year and I am firm on my decision to study, I want to go, no one is forcing me.

Things are only pointless if you make them to be.
(edited 7 years ago)
You're an unemployed alcoholic except your parents are proud of you what's not to like
Reply 3
Are you a motivational speaker?!

I'm a mature student going to uni this year, thanks for telling me! I didn't know it was going to be a waste of time. I should probably withdraw my application...

But unfortunately we do need doctors and nurses and dentists and architects and vets and pilots that do need to go to university. We also need people to build websites and forums like this one you're using, I have a feeling they went to uni as well.

But we also need plumbers and carpenters and electricians who don't need to go to university, but still need to study.

Does your opinion apply to mature students who go later in life? Are they wasting their time? I assume from what you said they haven't thought it through either and don't really want to go. I mean, the financial and social aspects are a big upheaval when you're older, so I doubt they really thought it about it to be honest.

If you're not happy with your life, then yes, change it. Now. Start today. But don't tar every single student with the same brush.
Reply 4
I think you're right for people who just go to university for the sake of it and pick a rubbish course/uni. But then you have those who genuinely want to study their field or someone who wants to make something of their life, and although their heart isn't in it their heart is in a good future so they stick it through.

I personally feel like I love what I do, PPE. Whenever I study, talk or read around any of those I feel my conscious, I'm not in auto pilot mode like when I do maths (I like maths when I get it right! But getting to that point can be draining). For years I felt like my life was in auto pilot but I know when I get to university I'll be doing the courses I love with a atmosphere I'll hopefully enjoy.
Reply 6
Original post by Erik28
Are you a motivational speaker?!

I'm a mature student going to uni this year, thanks for telling me! I didn't know it was going to be a waste of time. I should probably withdraw my application...

But unfortunately we do need doctors and nurses and dentists and architects and vets and pilots that do need to go to university. We also need people to build websites and forums like this one you're using, I have a feeling they went to uni as well.

But we also need plumbers and carpenters and electricians who don't need to go to university, but still need to study.

Does your opinion apply to mature students who go later in life? Are they wasting their time? I assume from what you said they haven't thought it through either and don't really want to go. I mean, the financial and social aspects are a big upheaval when you're older, so I doubt they really thought it about it to be honest.

If you're not happy with your life, then yes, change it. Now. Start today. But don't tar every single student with the same brush.

If your happy doing it then do it
Reply 7
Original post by Fish40
.. Some people have in their heart the love of maths and if YOU are HAPPY in doing what your doing than do it, if you are sincerely happy, BUT some people like me aren't happy with this, so what I'm saying is if your not HAPPY, then change it.

Original post by Fish40
If your happy doing it then do it

you're*
Title: you're*
Reply 9
What a spectacular implosion resulting in an existential crisis.

Keep plugging away at the studies, its worth it in the end. If nothing else, you have achieved something intangible but valuable.

Or don't.

Because in the end, we all die anyway right?

:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Unfortunately in most cases OP is right. by that I mean, most degrees are not relevant to what you end up doing and have little utility to society at large or general life. now some degrees such as the sciences maths tech It Law Nursing and Medicine clearly do have utility and purpose as do Architects etc.

However most students do not study these courses and quite a few that do never go into these fields. A lot of university has been dumbed down and will produce little utility. For example I doubt Many of the Math graduates from london met work in high positions.

However despite all this the statistics still show that for the most part your better off financially if you go to university then if you don't. I think these figures may be misleading though as they are influenced from times when Degrees were worth more and as the value of degrees go down it may not be economical to do so in the future. Many of the students who go to university do not have an interest in their subject but enjoy the life and time spent at university.

It is unfortunate that this is the case and is questionable to what extent the state should be sponsoring this. However whilst it remains beneficial in terms of life experience and finances to go to university many young people will still choose to go.

I will be doing a Maths degree shortly However I plan to actually use and apply what I learn it is a valuable degree and will be directly applied so makes sense to go. However my first degree in Accounting and Finance at a crap university was an absolute waste of time and money.
Your whole post was about other people. Why are you focussing your attention and energy on what everyone else is doing. What are you doing to make your world better? Everyone else will be fine. Your worrying about what they are doing will achieve nothing.
Reply 12
Original post by ByEeek
Your whole post was about other people. Why are you focussing your attention and energy on what everyone else is doing. What are you doing to make your world better? Everyone else will be fine. Your worrying about what they are doing will achieve nothing.

Your right

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're*
The UK is an extremely class based society. Government figures show this is only getting worse. If you want to live comfortably, you need to get lucky and have rich parents. Otherwise - too bad. If your parents were poor, you'll probably be poor, and your children.

University is one of the only chances to change that and improve your life chances.

My parents were farmers. I've studied stats and been able to work in Japan, live much more comfortably than they could, in an easier job with better pay. I can now self fund a PhD. I hate stats. But it let's me live well and fund all the hobbies I love.

If you're bored or not happy, boo hoo, suck it up for three years. Or quit and accept you'll never have a better life than what you were born into. I'm sure pret a manger will find you a job.
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't say useless/pointless. My first-year has been a great disappointment, and I have not enjoyed most of my time here. However, I have learnt that I really do need to address my mental health and personal issues.
Original post by Fish40
The knowledge you gain at university, you don't really care about. Only maybe a few people are really interested, but are you really interested in it deep down, or are your forcing yourself to like it, you've gotten yourself use to the routine of doing work. BUT its heartless, the work you do yeah its all to get a good grade, your level in life is a bit of prestige which is all an illusion. If you knew you were to die tomorrow, you wouldn't care about finishing your work offcourse. THink with your heart, a lot of people including me are heartless nowadays, when we were kids, we were great, but now weve settled for comfort, comfort in money and a wam house but deep down brushing aside our feelings of unhappiness. Some people have in their heart the love of maths and if YOU are HAPPY in doing what your doing than do it, if you are sincerely happy, BUT some people like me aren't happy with this, so what I'm saying is if your not HAPPY, then change it.

SOme people will read what im bout to say and brush it aside because deeply ingrained in their essence is that they must study and deep down they know its pointless but they get through it anyway.

Some people force themselves to study. If your forcing yourself to study, then it shows you dont want to study. We dont all need useless jobs as a banker or in finance.

Some people are just in autopilot mode their whole life now, they dont feel concious like they did when they were little, its cause theyre not thinking with their heart anymore and time just passes by.

Not if you go to a G5 Uni, and study a prestigious degree - there's also medicine, dentistry, vet med, chem engineering etc.
Original post by Razorramone
The UK is an extremely class based society. Government figures show this is only getting worse. If you want to live comfortably, you need to get lucky and have rich parents. Otherwise - too bad. If your parents were poor, you'll probably be poor, and your children.

University is one of the only chances to change that and improve your life chances.

My parents were farmers. I've studied stats and been able to work in Japan, live much more comfortably than they could, in an easier job with better pay. I can now self fund a PhD. I hate stats. But it let's me live well and fund all the hobbies I love.

If you're bored or not happy, boo hoo, suck it up for three years. Or quit and accept you'll never have a better life than what you were born into. I'm sure pret a manger will find you a job.

I wuv stats sometimes I make play with statistics just for the fun of it. When I was ten I made loads of statistics of the entire NBA just for fun. I did not have a laptop then and my family would not let me use computers so I had to do it with pen and paper. How can you not like Stats Stats is awesome.

I bet I never get a job in Stats though I will probably be stacking shelves my entire Life.
Reply 18
Original post by Luke7456
I wuv stats sometimes I make play with statistics just for the fun of it. When I was ten I made loads of statistics of the entire NBA just for fun. I did not have a laptop then and my family would not let me use computers so I had to do it with pen and paper. How can you not like Stats Stats is awesome.

I bet I never get a job in Stats though I will probably be stacking shelves my entire Life.

If your happy doing it, do it. Follow your heart.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University is about training & testing people if they can fit into some of the already existing established systems. If you're really lucky, then you may be able to live comfortable life without bothering to go to universities. Majority of people who are not brilliant enough to put their tender foot on social ladder without any help of already existing establishment choose to go to university because it's the safe option.

For the record, I remember when I was "forced" into going to university. I didn't think about it that much, as I thought it was the only option for me. And I've seen people who were really brave to make a decision to not go to the university when they were still a teenager, then later changed their mind and went to university.

I personally don't think we learn that much of "necessary" stuffs at the university. If you're really inclined to learning itself and you enjoy study and feel comfortable living in an ivory tower rather than outside of the wilderness of life, I think university is perfect for you. I've also seen people who were too smart to understand "ordinary" people; people like them happily choose to go back to university and become professor.

Each to their own. I personally value street smart more than book smart. But being book smart is not that useless or worthless, imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending