The Student Room Group

Poppy's Year 11 Life

Hiya! My name's Poppy and I'm a year 11 student currently studying GCSEs.

I stumbled upon this website and was amazed by the number of bright and motivated students, all eager to share their tips and experiences. The sheer commitment and effort that some people put into this is astounding. Anyways, I thought I'd give it a go myself!

A little about me :smile:
As I said, I am a normal 16 year old girl, who wants to achieve great results at the end of the year (don't we all?), whilst also making the most of other opportunities available, hopefully without compromising my happiness and sanity!

I'm studying for:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Further Maths
Additional Science
Further Additional Science
Geography
Design Technology ~ Resistant Materials
Computing
Music
French
I have already taken Film Studies and Core Science, achieving A*s in both :h:

So this year that is a total of 11 GCSEs, and 22 exams! Eek!
I would say I am definitely a conscientious student, and work hard to get results I am proud of. My brain is constantly in a battle of 'Am I working hard enough?Am I being productive enough? Am I working too hard?', which is something I am trying to improve on. I think this website and forums will help me to find the right balance, and help improve my confidence in myself and my abilities :colondollar:

Other than school? (Is there such a thing?)
I have noticed that there is a tendency for people to become so overwhelmed by the impending exams and coursework deadlines, that they sacrifice doing what they enjoy. This is really quite sad, as exams are not everything! We need to realise that at the end of the day, our mental health is just as, if not more important than the grades we receive. This isn't to say that we shouldn't work hard to get good grades, but that it is important to find a good balance.

This is something I am struggling to do at the moment and need to work on.

Anyways, outside of school work I am involved in many a thing. I go to a drama group outside of school which I love! The people are amazing, and our group chat always seems to be alive with some ridiculous conversation, about anything from pigeons, to superheros, to politics, to cats. Within the school I go to Jazz Band and the school choir, and often perform with a group of friends in concerts and assemblies. :flute: I'm currently taking part in Ten Tors and D of E training, which is hard work, but rewarding and a lot of fun. I have my first 2 days, 2 nights walk of the year coming up this weekend, which should be good! Today I took my grade 6 piano exam, which went quite well! I mean sight reading was horrendous, but that is to be expected from me :dontknow: The pieces went well, scales and exercises were generally OK and aural tests were fairly good. I should find out my results next week - agh!

I'm slightly addicted to banana chips, adore cats and make a mean apple crumble. Ever want to discuss a Netflix show, or the latest AMAZING book, film or music in your life? I'm your gal.

So... what are you doing here then?
Well, I don't have a specific reason for doing this. I just thought it would be a good way to share my thoughts and opinions, and learn from and get to know other people. Hopefully somebody out there will find what I say somewhat entertaining and/or useful :grin:

I'll probably write about school work, GCSEs and what it is like as a year 11 in 2017, what I get up to in my days, mindfulness and health (yikes) and generally sharing anything interesting I come across. I would love to hear from you guys!!!

Well I guess that's all for this very long and rambling introduction post :blah:

I hope I didn't bore you; I'm eager to hear from you guys! How are you? If you're at school, how are you finding it? If not, what are you doing? How is that? I'm just up for a chat really :party:

Peace out and see you around :nyan:
Hi Poppy! Just read that essay of yours :wink: was quite boring. Na I'm joking, it was quite interesting to see how a fellow year 11 is doing. I am currently in year 11 too and I really don't know where to begin. The time is coming closer for exams with biology on 16th May and I haven't even revised. How long do you revise a night? I'm predicted all A*'s and I think I know it but when I test myself I seriously don't. You sound like you know what your doing so any tips? Btw never heard the name Poppy before, named after the Poppies poem in the power anthology (English Literature Reference if you know you know :wink:) but yes its a nice name. You sound like a crazy mad fun girl, should post an online diary on this. Would love to know what a fellow pupil is going through, I'll do the same. Sounds so cringy omg, but yeh lets see where I goes. Cheers!
Reply 2
Original post by mustards12345
Hi Poppy! Just read that essay of yours :wink: was quite boring. Na I'm joking, it was quite interesting to see how a fellow year 11 is doing. I am currently in year 11 too and I really don't know where to begin. The time is coming closer for exams with biology on 16th May and I haven't even revised. How long do you revise a night? I'm predicted all A*'s and I think I know it but when I test myself I seriously don't. You sound like you know what your doing so any tips? Btw never heard the name Poppy before, named after the Poppies poem in the power anthology (English Literature Reference if you know you know :wink:) but yes its a nice name. You sound like a crazy mad fun girl, should post an online diary on this. Would love to know what a fellow pupil is going through, I'll do the same. Sounds so cringy omg, but yeh lets see where I goes. Cheers!

Oh my word I just found this reply! Not gonna lie, I couldn't figure out this website so stopped writing pretty soon after. I got lost in the world of school, just like I said I wouldn't. :ashamed2:

How are you doing? What are you doing now, after GCSEs? You seem very relatable. I was also predicted all A*s and was so worried that I wasn't doing half as much as I needed to achieve those grades. Though, somehow or another I actually did it! Whaaatt?!?! Looking back through a diary I kept throughout year 11 I actually definitely did work very hard, it just didn't seem like enough at the time.

Haha yes, Jane Weir! My favourite quote from that anthology is "My shadow falls as evidence of sunlight" from The Emigree by Carol Rumens. I don't know why, but that really speaks to me. To me it symbolises positivity, in that even though a shadow may fall, it is there only because of light. I believe it represents so well that through dark times, there is always a little sunlight.
There were actually 4 Poppys in my year group!

Crazy mad fun girl eh? Well that's the first time anybody has ever called me that! Thank you, maybe I will actually start writing now :grin:
Original post by PoppyElizAJ
Oh my word I just found this reply! Not gonna lie, I couldn't figure out this website so stopped writing pretty soon after. I got lost in the world of school, just like I said I wouldn't. :ashamed2:

How are you doing? What are you doing now, after GCSEs? You seem very relatable. I was also predicted all A*s and was so worried that I wasn't doing half as much as I needed to achieve those grades. Though, somehow or another I actually did it! Whaaatt?!?! Looking back through a diary I kept throughout year 11 I actually definitely did work very hard, it just didn't seem like enough at the time.

Haha yes, Jane Weir! My favourite quote from that anthology is "My shadow falls as evidence of sunlight" from The Emigree by Carol Rumens. I don't know why, but that really speaks to me. To me it symbolises positivity, in that even though a shadow may fall, it is there only because of light. I believe it represents so well that through dark times, there is always a little sunlight.
There were actually 4 Poppys in my year group!

Crazy mad fun girl eh? Well that's the first time anybody has ever called me that! Thank you, maybe I will actually start writing now :grin:

Oh My! I have not been on this for ages! How did you do in your GCSE's in the end, bet you smashed em!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending