The Student Room Group

My cars been scoffed

Hi thanks for reading my post. My brand new car is only one month old and has been scoffed by someone. It's only a few scratches done by a white car who must've tried to park next to my car. I suspect it happened at the contact centre where I take my son to see his dad.
The location is in Rochdale. What should I do. They havnt left their details.
Is it worth trying to claim insurance. I also noticed a 1 cm dent in my front passanger door. Any advice. Should I just try to fix the scratches not bother. What would you do??? Thanks ☹️
Scoffing at a car is awful - I'm so sorry. And there really isn't anything wrong with a Skoda, you know - they're made by VW!
Thanks for replying it's Terrible what's happened and I'm a new driver I know you can get insurance and police but this damage looks small to do all that I think. My cars a ford b max. IMG_5447.jpg
Accept it mate, or have it repaired.

If it happened to me, I would accept it, save up and have it repaired if I have sufficient money.

Advice:
Make sure you park in areas that are clear, spacious and where people are less likely to park. Even if it means parking slightly further away.
Whenever I park my car in a Car Park, I never park my car near the Shop entrance or the busy areas. Most people tend to park there because it is closer to the entrance, which is also a higher chance of getting my car scraped. I tend to park my car further back of the car park, where it is more spacious.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Learndriving
Hi thanks for reading my post. My brand new car is only one month old and has been scoffed by someone. It's only a few scratches done by a white car who must've tried to park next to my car. I suspect it happened at the contact centre where I take my son to see his dad.
The location is in Rochdale. What should I do. They havnt left their details.
Is it worth trying to claim insurance. I also noticed a 1 cm dent in my front passanger door. Any advice. Should I just try to fix the scratches not bother. What would you do??? Thanks ☹️

Being serious, I wouldn't claim on your comprehensive insurance for this. The increase in your premium for a claim will more than offset the cost of repairing it yourself. It's a pain, these things, but there isn't much you can do about it - it happens to all of us. Incredibly frustrating though.
Original post by Reality Check
Being serious, I wouldn't claim on your comprehensive insurance for this. The increase in your premium for a claim will more than offset the cost of repairing it yourself. It's a pain, these things, but there isn't much you can do about it - it happens to all of us. Incredibly frustrating though.

That's what I thought too that it's not worth the hassle. It's frustrating but I've seen every car scratched and dented a little bit atleast some must worst.

I suppose I could touch it up a little and stop worrying about it 👍
That's what I thought too that it's not worth the hassle. It's frustrating but I've seen every car scratched and dented a little bit atleast some must worst.

That's what I'd recommend, yes :smile:
Reply 7

That's what I'd recommend, yes :smile:

It may be best to get a couple of professionals to quote​ for it, rather than diy. It's unlikely to be very cheap, but especially with a shiny brand new car it will look much better than a (dare I say) bodged job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
It may be best to get a professional to quote​ for it, rather than diy. It's unlikely to be very cheap, but especially with a shiny brand new car it will look much better than a (dare I say) bodged job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't read the OP properly and missed the 'brand new car' bit. Bad!

@Learndriving - I think Doonesbury's right here - if it's brand new, you don't want a amateur job drawing attention to the repair. I agree that a professional repair job might be best
Lol who ate your car
Yeah I am dreading the cost that's why I left it a day. I washed my car today. Still showing scratches. I got it on finance so will ask my ford dealer to help but I doubt he will be any help.
People don't want to know you after. Thanks for recommending a professional job. 🙂
Yeah I am dreading the cost that's why I left it a day. I washed my car today. Still showing scratches. I got it on finance so will ask my ford dealer to help but I doubt he will be any help.
People don't want to know you after. Thanks for recommending a professional job. 🙂

Oh - finance changes this. Is the finance a Personal Contract Plan, or PCP? If so, there's probably a requirement to have it repaired to a professional standard if you're thinking of not paying the final 'balloon' payment and handing the car back at the end of the term. What counts as acceptable and unacceptable damage will be in the 'fair wear and tear' guide from your finance provider. However, an unrepaired damage like that is liable to rust (is bare metal showing, or significant amounts of paint primer) and if the car is new, the assumption would be that you're going to have it for another couple of years on a PCP - putting off a repair which has to be done could actually be even more expensive in the long run.

If it's on another form of finance, like simple HP or PCH, where you end up owning the car without an option to hand it back, then this requirement to have it professionally repaired might not apply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh - finance changes this. Is the finance a Personal Contract Plan, or PCP? If so, there's probably a requirement to have it repaired to a professional standard if you're thinking of not paying the final 'balloon' payment and handing the car back at the end of the term. What counts as acceptable and unacceptable damage will be in the 'fair wear and tear' guide from your finance provider. However, an unrepaired damage like that is liable to rust (is bare metal showing, or significant amounts of paint primer) and if the car is new, the assumption would be that you're going to have it for another couple of years on a PCP - this could make any eventual repair even more expensive long term.

If it's on another form of finance, like simple HP or PCH, where you end up owning the car without an option to hand it back, then this requirement to have it professionally repaired might not apply.

It's Hire purchase options plan so I can return the car or pay remaining deposit at end of 3 years. I am planning to buy another due to fuel cost.
It's Hire purchase options plan so I can return the car or pay remaining deposit at end of 3 years. I am planning to buy another due to fuel cost.

In that case if you're thinking of handing it back, I'd strongly recommend you check the acceptable damage policy to see whether this damage must be repaired or not. It'd be awful if you ended up with the final value reduced because of unprepared damage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending