The Student Room Group

Number of Christians (and Muslims) to grow, proportion of irreligious to fall

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherub012
You can definitely compare Yaweh and Muhammad in this case since both of their actions are considered to be perfect. They don't condemn it. They say it was completely moral in the time that it happened exactly like Muhammad's marriage to Aisha. Ask a Christian to condemn the killing of nations in the OT and you'll find that they won't.

And I've explained the difference in the religions numerous times! Muhammad's morality is not condemned, Christians will not say the morality of the OT is relevant to today, Muslims will say the morality of the 7th century is relevant to today! Every normal Christian I've aksed would most certainly condemn it, and that's besides the point, as they won't say it's acceptable now. Muslims will.

I read it multiple times and made sure it sunk in. They are not all timeless and always applicable and the drinking of alcohol (as well as the other abrogated) verses prove that!

And I already explained that the Quran, like many holy books, is contradictory. But this doesn't change Islam's official position on the immutability, perfection, timelessness and universality of the Quran and the vast majority of Muslims believe this. Christians don't believe this about the Bible nor is it part of Christian dogma.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
I don't like being dragged into arguments but what's your point?

Christians of course don't believe that the bible is perfect. They believe some parts are just untrue and not really what Jesus said.

The problem is, they don't know which parts are true and which parts are false.

Therefore, to actually use the bible as a guide they have to assume all of it is true.

That's why when you debate a Christian about a certain possible problem in the bible, they won't say "Oh that bit is made up" but they instead would produce a valid counter argument.

Do you agree?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
And I've explained the difference in the religions numerous times! Muhammad's morality is not condemned, Christians will not say the morality of the OT is relevant to today, Muslims will say the morality of the 7th century is relevant to today! Every normal Christian I've aksed would most certainly condemn it, and that's besides the point, as they won't say it's acceptable now. Muslims will.

And I already explained that the Quran, like many holy books, is contradictory. But this doesn't change Islam's official position on the immutability, perfection, timelessness and universality of the Quran and the vast majority of Muslims believe this. Christians don't believe this about the Bible nor is it part of Christian dogma.

No many Muslims condemn child marriages being carried out today so that defeats everything you said. Hence, parts of the morality is not relevant today.

Lol what a cop-out. "Oh I see you've found a verse where Muslims can reject it's usage. Well that proves Islam is false! I'm still right!"
Hey plantagenet crown doesnt understand my point about Christians having to assume things about the bible. Can I explain it to you so you can reiterate it to him? :h:

What do they have to assume?
What do they have to assume?

Because they don't know which parts are true about Jesus and which parts are made up. It's an all-or-nothing principle.

And BTW. Assumptions are not beliefs. Scientists assume things everyday. Doesn't mean they believe them.

EDIT: Sorry thought you asked why they have to assume. Well they don't believe the bible is completely authentic but to actually use it thy have to assume it's all true.
(edited 7 years ago)
No many Muslims condemn child marriages being carried out today so that defeats everything you said. Hence, parts of the morality is not relevant today.

No it doesn't, because I already addressed this point. Ask them to condemn Muhammad and his actions and they won't. In this, as in many other things, they are very contradictory.

Lol what a cop-out. "Oh I see you've found a verse where Muslims can reject it's usage. Well that proves Islam is false! I'm still right!"

Islam is obviously false, this is a discussion about the official dogma of each religion, in which Islam claims its holy book is perfect and immutable, Christianity doesn't.
Because they don't know which parts are true about Jesus and which parts are made up. It's an all-or-nothing principle.

And BTW. Assumptions are not beliefs. Scientists assume things everyday. Doesn't mean they believe them.

EDIT: Sorry thought you asked why they have to assume. Well they don't believe the bible is completely authentic but to actually use it thy have to assume it's all true.

But how does that mean they assume all parts are true, they clearly don't, as very few Christians will believe all in all of the Bible. They don't treat is as some lucky jackpot guessing game. Most christians will believe all the stuff about Jesus is true, but beliefs that variate will usually be due to differences in sects and their beliefs, not because one sect randomly spun the bottle to determine what they believe and because one sect spun it for another..

No they don't have to assume it's all true to use it! Why would you have to assume all of the OT is true for example, to believe the NT's narration on the life of Jesus?
No it doesn't, because I already addressed this point. Ask them to condemn Muhammad and his actions and they won't. In this, as in many other things, they are very contradictory.

Islam is obviously false, this is a discussion about the official dogma of each religion, in which Islam claims its holy book is perfect and immutable, Christianity doesn't.

Again many Muslims condemn modern day child marriages as immoral. You said they will believe it is moral today.

I gave you an example of a rejected verse and you respond with Islam is false. You were the one shifting discussion.

But how does that mean they assume all parts are true, they clearly don't, as very few Christians will believe all in all of the Bible. They don't treat is as some lucky jackpot guessing game. Most christians will believe all the stuff about Jesus is true, but beliefs that variate will usually be due to differences in sects and their beliefs, not because one sect randomly spun the bottle to determine what they believe and because one sect spun it for another..

No they don't have to assume it's all true to use it! Why would you have to assume all of the OT is true for example, to believe the NT's narration on the life of Jesus?

Ok if such beliefs are down to sectarian beliefs and there is an actual system of knowing which parts to believe and which not to then I don't have a problem with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Again many Muslims condemn modern day child marriages as immoral. You said they will believe it is moral today.

I gave you an example of a rejected verse and you respond with Islam is false. You were the one shifting discussion.

Many will believe it is moral, as evidenced by Muslim majority countries refusing to outlaw it, and as explained before, what's more telling is whether they refuse to condemn Muhammad, and the Quran, which they won't. They try to have it both ways, but as long as they insist that the Quran is perfect and immutable, which they do, they are implicitly stating that everything within it is perfect and immutable. That's why you'll have Muslims condemning ISIS' actions, but refusing to condemn the text that inspires them (the Quran). You're still failing to acknowledge the distinct positions that Islam and Christianity have on their holy books, they're not the same.

Ok if such beliefs are down to sectarian beliefs and there is an actual system of knowing which parts to believe and which not to then I don't have a problem with it.

There's no system of knowing anything about a god, it all boils down to interpretations and opinions, which is why there are many branches and sects of both Christianity and Islam.
As a Christian I'll stick my twopennorth in. I'm not remotely interested in getting in to a debate tho. Had enough of that!
I believe the old and New Testaments to be true, that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were given by inspiration of God, and that they only constitute the Divine rule of Christian faith and practice.
I do however believe that what was acceptable two thousand years ago is not necessarily acceptable today. Religion must continually grow and adapt, something Christianity has done, whereas other faiths may not necessarily have done so yet
Original post by ralphie
Nope. By teachings it is way better. And they actively denounce parts of their religion that is backwards and intolerant. They continue to strive towards progression.

Islam on the other hand advocates killing of apostates, rape, its prophet is paedophile and a warlord and a genuinely disgusting religion. It's degeneracies continue with its followers e.g. 52% of british muslims are against homosexuality.

And I didnt even mention terrorism.

All muslims are against homosexuality. but we dont assault anyone because of it.
Many will believe it is moral, as evidenced by Muslim majority countries refusing to outlaw it, and as explained before, what's more telling is whether they refuse to condemn Muhammad, and the Quran, which they won't. They try to have it both ways, but as long as they insist that the Quran is perfect and immutable, which they do, they are implicitly stating that everything within it is perfect and immutable. That's why you'll have Muslims condemning ISIS' actions, but refusing to condemn the text that inspires them (the Quran). You're still failing to acknowledge the distinct positions that Islam and Christianity have on their holy books, they're not the same.

There's no system of knowing anything about a god, it all boils down to interpretations and opinions, which is why there are many branches and sects of both Christianity and Islam.

I'm not talking about those who believe it is moral. I'm talking about those who don't. Christians don't condemn God for his actions and Muslims do not condemn Muhammad.
I'm not talking about those who believe it is moral. I'm talking about those who don't. Christians don't condemn God for his actions and Muslims do not condemn Muhammad.

Mohammed is not god. He is your prophet
Original post by Sammylou40
Mohammed is not god. He is your prophet

lol im not even muslim
I'm just happy to be intelligent enough to not have to waste my time believing the utter nonsense that is religion.

But if you abrogate a verse then surely the verse is not timeless as it no longer applies? That's the basically the definition of abrogation.
in Islam, you do not abrogate verses: Allah did

Quran 2:106 "We do not abrogate a verse or cause it to be forgotten except that We bring forth [one] better than it or similar to it. Do you not know that Allah is over all things competent?"

according to Islamic doctrine, Allah abrogated several verses, and sent down "better ones". But this took place during Muhammad's lifetime, while the Quran was still, so to say "under construction".

it is a central tenet of Islam that the Quran has remained untouched, unmodified and "perfect" since those days

best
Reply 76
Original post by emerald7770
Loool, I'm not converting to Christianity at any point. How about you let us be us and we'll let you be you? Allah SAW is the greatest and is the one and only god. He has no partners. Sorry but I'm not sorry. Have a gd day tho

You've just contradicted yourself. Boo hoo I'm not converting to Christianity, only my god IS REAL, get it, ONLY HIM WAAAH. But yeah 'let us be and we will let you be you' lol, so are others :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing allowed to have their own believes without you shoving your allah down their throats or not?
Reply 77
Original post by I.sarkar
All muslims are against homosexuality. but we dont assault anyone because of it.

"We"? you certainly don't speak for all Muslims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending