The Student Room Group

Official AQA AS-level Biology 1 - 25 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fauziaa
i thought last years paper was relatively easy, paper 1 anyway, dont understand why the grade boundaries were so low..
how much revision have you done?

Yeah paper 1 was totally fine but paper 2 (especially the last two 5 markers at the end ughh) threw me off a little and i only got a B in the end :frown:
I wouldn't say I revised a lot since I wanted to make sure my psychology papers were As so I'm just gonna do my best tomorrow and revise more for paper 2 and hope it's an A overall

I just want to get these exams over and done with now :s-smilie: can't wait for the chem exam on friday loll.
Original post by Ada_Kai
Yeah paper 1 was totally fine but paper 2 (especially the last two 5 markers at the end ughh) threw me off a little and i only got a B in the end :frown:
I wouldn't say I revised a lot since I wanted to make sure my psychology papers were As so I'm just gonna do my best tomorrow and revise more for paper 2 and hope it's an A overall

I just want to get these exams over and done with now :s-smilie: can't wait for the chem exam on friday loll.

I thought the 5 markers were okay just the mark schemes were so crappy and you never know how much to write and what to write, the questions wording is just awful tbf & i've also spent a lot of my time on psychology too, dreading the fact that i can't even be upset after the bio exam because i'll have to concentrate on chemistry :///
Reply 22
Original post by fauziaa
I thought the 5 markers were okay just the mark schemes were so crappy and you never know how much to write and what to write, the questions wording is just awful tbf & i've also spent a lot of my time on psychology too, dreading the fact that i can't even be upset after the bio exam because i'll have to concentrate on chemistry :///

For some reason I find chemistry easier to learn and remember but the exam questions are just so difficult! And yeah the mark schemes are terrible, i always write too much and have little time to check my answers in the end.

I'm glad I only have Chem & Bio (and chinese A-lvl but thats okay since i'm bilingual loll) to revise for after this week cuz i revise a ton during half term! I'll just make up for them in paper 2 hahah (but the reality is probz me procrastinating again)
Original post by Ada_Kai
For some reason I find chemistry easier to learn and remember but the exam questions are just so difficult! And yeah the mark schemes are terrible, i always write too much and have little time to check my answers in the end.

I'm glad I only have Chem & Bio (and chinese A-lvl but thats okay since i'm bilingual loll) to revise for after this week cuz i revise a ton during half term! I'll just make up for them in paper 2 hahah (but the reality is probz me procrastinating again)

I'm so weird cause i find chemistry harder then bio, but i always manage to do better in chem mocks but im so happy that i only have bio and chem after half term so i dont have to spend most of my day revising in half term.

btw how do you work out the mitotic index?
Reply 24
Original post by fauziaa
I'm so weird cause i find chemistry harder then bio, but i always manage to do better in chem mocks but im so happy that i only have bio and chem after half term so i dont have to spend most of my day revising in half term.

btw how do you work out the mitotic index?

Oh hey we take the same subjects then! :biggrin:

Ah the mitotic index, take all the cells in pro,meta,ana and telophases and divide the sum by the total number of cells, then times the answer by 100, that should give you the percentage of the calls undergoing mitosis - the mitotic index

something like that ^
Original post by Ada_Kai
Oh hey we take the same subjects then! :biggrin:

Ah the mitotic index, take all the cells in pro,meta,ana and telophases and divide the sum by the total number of cells, then times the answer by 100, that should give you the percentage of the calls undergoing mitosis - the mitotic index

something like that ^

ahh okay, thanks :smile:

if meiosis comes up tomorrow, im fully screwed
Reply 26
Original post by fauziaa
ahh okay, thanks :smile:

if meiosis comes up tomorrow, im fully screwed

it has come up quite a few times in past papers so hopefully they won't come up tomorrow or as a 1-2 marker only!
Original post by Ada_Kai
it stands for the "enzyme linked immunosorbant assay", uses antibodies to detect if protein (and how much of it) is present in a sample. there are quite a lot of steps for its procedure but you basically apply antigens to the sample, wash it a few times, add the antibody that is specific to the antigen, leave it for a bit and wash it again, add another antibody(has an enzyme attached) that binds with the first antibody, add the colourless substrate which the enzyme will act on to change its colour and lastly the amount of antigen present depends on the intensity of the colour. ELISA can be used to detect HIV etc, very useful.

hope that helped a bit.

Thank you this helped a lot!
****... im not ready at all.... what do u guys think the best thing to go over right now is??

btw how many marks do u think would be good enough to get in this paper for an A? bearing in mind that i havent revised anyhting tbh... but for paper 2 ima revise the whole halfterm hopefullly bring my grade up!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LifeIsSoHard
****... im not ready at all.... what do u guys think the best thing to go over right now is??

Go over past papers that you've done and read over your notes☺Good luck!!!
Hey i have a question.In the mark scheme when it says "Reject" , "ignore" , "neutral" what do they exactly mean?I know neutral means that u are correct but no mark given.But for reject and ignore?[for 1 marker]Say if i write 1 thing and that is correct but i write another thing which is classified as reject/ignore , would i stilll get that 1 mark?
Original post by CrazyFoxes
Hey i have a question.In the mark scheme when it says "Reject" , "ignore" , "neutral" what do they exactly mean?I know neutral means that u are correct but no mark given.But for reject and ignore?[for 1 marker]Say if i write 1 thing and that is correct but i write another thing which is classified as reject/ignore , would i stilll get that 1 mark?

i think if its ignore u get the mark, reject no marks
Original post by passporta
i think if its ignore u get the mark, reject no marks

Dam thats crazy , must really know your key words then when explaining!
Reply 33
Any guesses on what the long markers will be on??
what the highest amount of marks in a question btw 6 marks? i've never seen one
Original post by k1234j
Any guesses on what the long markers will be on??

My teacher said it might be on the cardiac cycle or transpiration. But she can'be certain as its a new spec
what did anyone get for the heart question where you had to label the volume of ventricle
Original post by akatherapper
what did anyone get for the heart question where you had to label the volume of ventricle

I didnt know... but did you write 12 haploid chromosomes in the weird plant question regarding meiosis?
6000 cm^3 i think, you?
Original post by Psychology109
I didnt know... but did you write 12 haploid chromosomes in the weird plant question regarding meiosis?

think i put 6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending