The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Might any female DU students want to go on a date with me?

I'm 21 and dropped out of a different university a couple of years ago, now living back in county durham. I have the intellectual prowess of a durham student but it comes without trying to sound like phil mitchell even though you grew up in A1 suburbia.

Actually, I wouldn't mind any DU friends or dates (save the type mentioned above) because everyone I know is completely :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ed up. And girls, one more thing, when you're on Tinder don't automatically swipe left on lads who aren't students, even when they're a fair sight better looking than you.
I'm sure they'll be lining up for you after you sold yourself so well on TSR.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Let's see now,

Is a dropout

Brags about own intelligence with nothing to back it up with

Desperate enough for anyone

Actively insults everyone else you already know

Those last two points even contradict themselves

Tells girls what to do and that their way is wrong

Makes assumptions about the attractiveness of said people.

You sound like a keeper.
Original post by SkyRees
Let's see now,

Is a dropout

Brags about own intelligence with nothing to back it up with

Desperate enough for anyone

Actively insults everyone else you already know

Those last two points even contradict themselves

Tells girls what to do and that their way is wrong

Makes assumptions about the attractiveness of said people.

You sound like a keeper.

Assuming that comparing your intelligence to that of a non-specified durham university student must be an attempt to brag is part of the problem
Original post by pepperonisalad
Assuming that comparing your intelligence to that of a non-specified durham university student must be an attempt to brag is part of the problem

Interesting that's the one you're choosing to challenge.
Still if we're on assumptions, I'd love to know how you came to judge that you're as smart as a Durham student. Do tell what uni you would've graduated from, if you hadn't dropped out (another point totally in your favour btw).
Original post by SkyRees
Interesting that's the one you're choosing to challenge.
Still if we're on assumptions, I'd love to know how you came to judge that you're as smart as a Durham student. Do tell what uni you would've graduated from, if you hadn't dropped out (another point totally in your favour btw).

This kind of attitude is what makes me despise the subset of DU students who actually think that way. Why is the burden on me to prove that I'm as smart as a Durham student as if it's a highly implausible claim? They're certainly more intelligent on average than the general public, in certain ways, but not to such a large extent as you'd like to think. Sure, most people around won't be as academically intelligent as Fenston and Poppy on the rowing team, but they're not that far off the centre of the bell curve.

You're acting like I've claimed intellectual parity with Stephen Hawking. Get over yourself and realise that you're no better than anyone else.
(edited 7 years ago)
This kind of attitude is what makes me despise the subset of DU students who actually think that way. Why is the burden on me to prove that I'm as smart as a Durham student as if it's a highly implausible claim? They're certainly more intelligent on average than the general public, in certain ways, but not to such a large extent as you'd like to think. Sure, most people around won't be as academically intelligent as Fenston and Poppy on the rowing team, but they're not that far off the centre of the bell curve.

You're acting like I've claimed intellectual parity with Stephen Hawking. Get over yourself and realise that you're no better than anyone else.

If you claim something like "I have the intellectual prowess of a Durham student" the onus is on you to prove that? This is the internet. I could say I went to Oxford, on par with Harvard or something.

The fact is that one, you dropped out - though you may have reasons, I don't hear them - and two, you neglect to mention which university you dropped from. Which would, in reality, be the easiest way to see through your claim. More than that it isn't a lie that Durham is ranked as one of the best universities in the country; as such a certain level of intelligence would be expected of someone attending

And by the way, I'm not a Durham student. So hating them because of me is pretty hilarious, actually.
Original post by SkyRees
If you claim something like "I have the intellectual prowess of a Durham student" the onus is on you to prove that? This is the internet. I could say I went to Oxford, on par with Harvard or something.

The fact is that one, you dropped out - though you may have reasons, I don't hear them - and two, you neglect to mention which university you dropped from. Which would, in reality, be the easiest way to see through your claim. More than that it isn't a lie that Durham is ranked as one of the best universities in the country; as such a certain level of intelligence would be expected of someone attending

And by the way, I'm not a Durham student. So hating them because of me is pretty hilarious, actually.

Saying you went to Oxford is a different kind of claim because it can easily be proved or falsified, whereas someone's exact level of intelligence can't be.

That you doubt my claim based on the fact that I dropped out and went to a different university demonstrates your naivety. When you start associating with people other than well-to-do university students you'll see that educational pedigree is at best an indicator of someone's intellect. I'm not sure what it's like at your university or whether you're perceptive enough to realise it, but it's not a myth that your social background and presentation has a significant impact on your chances of getting accepted to different courses and unis, regardless of your intelligence. It's not just something people say. Half the students at durham uni are VERY posh, and will have had extensive coaching in all aspects of the application process by someone with decades of experience in it, something that most of us don't have access to. Not many of them are actually thick, but plenty of them are hardly any smarter than Joe and Jane Bloggs on the street.

Finally, my comtempt for certain durham students was obvious in my original post, so I'm not sure why you think it's suddenly sprung up as a result of talking to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Saying you went to Oxford is a different kind of claim because it can easily be proved or falsified, whereas someone's exact level of intelligence can't be.

It's still the same idea of intelligence being 'on par' with something. I could have picked a different university, it's the idea that a person's university in some cases does determine their intellect, to an extent.

That you doubt my claim based on the fact that I dropped out and went to a different university demonstrates your naivety. When you start associating with people other than well-to-do university students you'll see that educational pedigree is at best an indicator of someone's intellect. I'm not sure what it's like at your university or whether you're perceptive enough to realise it, but it's not a myth that your social background and presentation has a significant impact on your chances of getting accepted to different courses and unis, regardless of your intelligence. It's not just something people say. Half the students at durham uni are VERY posh, and will have had extensive coaching in all aspects of the application process by someone with decades of experience in it, something that most of us don't have access to.

Yes, I am aware of it. I was dirt poor and had to work my way into a Russell Group uni, so I know it has an effect. As for the rest, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. Remembering your initial point was trying to impress ladies by saying your intellect is equal to one, now you're saying that a university doesn't equal a certain measurable level of intelligence.

Finally, my comtempt for certain durham students was obvious in my original post, so I'm not sure why you think it's suddenly sprung up as a result of talking to you.

Misinterpreted it, thinking you were saying you were as smart as a Durham student but you didn't sound like Phil Mitchell in A1 suburbia.

Whatever of this debate even proves, it's hardly attractive. Which, I assume, was your primary reason of making this thread.
Original post by SkyRees
It's still the same idea of intelligence being 'on par' with something. I could have picked a different university, it's the idea that a person's university in some cases does determine their intellect, to an extent.

Yes, I am aware of it. I was dirt poor and had to work my way into a Russell Group uni, so I know it has an effect. As for the rest, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. Remembering your initial point was trying to impress ladies by saying your intellect is equal to one, now you're saying that a university doesn't equal a certain measurable level of intelligence.

Misinterpreted it, thinking you were saying you were as smart as a Durham student but you didn't sound like Phil Mitchell in A1 suburbia.

Whatever of this debate even proves, it's hardly attractive. Which, I assume, was your primary reason of making this thread.

The intelligence thing is just semantics, anyone keeping a close eye on the thread knows what I mean.

What I meant with the Phil Mitchell comment is that I can't stand these students who are incredibly posh but try to alter their voices to sound rougher. It's usually the lads that do this. Sometimes they also dress in this weird imitation chav way despite the fact that they constantly make fun of locals and wouldn't dream of talking to us.
I'm 21 and dropped out of a different university a couple of years ago, now living back in county durham. I have the intellectual prowess of a durham student but it comes without trying to sound like phil mitchell even though you grew up in A1 suburbia.

Actually, I wouldn't mind any DU friends or dates (save the type mentioned above) because everyone I know is completely :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ed up. And girls, one more thing, when you're on Tinder don't automatically swipe left on lads who aren't students, even when they're a fair sight better looking than you.

I genuinely have no words in my vocabulary to summarise how much of complete :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: you are
Even after all this, especially in fact, I would go out with you. It would be nice to go out with someone as obnoxious as me.

Ah but wait, I am but a male DU student. Is that a problem?

Quick Reply

Latest