The Student Room Group

How much money do you need per week in London?

UCl or KCL most likely. Assuming my accommodation is under £200, how much do i need per week to survive?

Scroll to see replies

depends what you mean by survive?
just accommodation, food, water and transport or?
Reply 2
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
depends what you mean by survive?
just accommodation, food, water and transport or?

Whatever I need to be bale to study and live in the city as a student. Food, transport, uni books etc.
Reply 3
London property is extremely expensive so i wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay a pretty penny for some 'decent' accommodation
I'd budget minimum £500 a week for accomodation, food, travel, books, clothes, ect
your biggest costs are going to be rent and travel
Reply 5
Original post by SG118
London property is extremely expensive so i wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay a pretty penny for some 'decent' accommodation

Around £200 per week for uni accommodation
Original post by Jackieox
I'd budget minimum £500 a week for accomodation, food, travel, books, clothes, ect

That seems a lot. Even if rent is £150-200.

I studied in north west London and lived comfortably on £80 a week after rent.

Yep, as an absolute minimum. I was thinking more like £800 for a reasonable standard of living for a single person, though I appreciate people have to manage on much less, and indeed do so.

EDIT - didn't see this was a student thing (sorry!)
@Tiger Rag is right - this sounds perfectly reasonable for a student.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag

:frown: I think I must be bad with money or something - I wish I could manage to spend less.
Reply 9

You trolling? I can't see how I would need to spend £300 a week on necessary expenses like food and travel. Where do you get that amount from?

wtf no. more like £250-300 per week including accom costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Tiger Rag

Nice, and that £80 was on food and travel plus what else?
Original post by Reality Check
Yep, as an absolute minimum. I was thinking more like £800 for a reasonable standard of living for a single person, though I appreciate people have to manage on much less, and indeed do so.

you spend twice the average post-tax grad wage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13

Reasonable standard of living, do you mean for a normal adult (non student) person who has a job etc? Obviously what is considered a 'ressonable standard of living' will be a lot lower for a student.

Naturally a student could never spend that much
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thomazo
Reasonable standard of living, do you mean for a normal adult (non student) person who has a job etc? Obviously what is considered a 'ressonable standard of living' will be a lot lower for a student.

I'm sorry - I didn't see this was in Student Finance. I was thinking more of a working person, so the figures from @Tiger Rag are much nearer the mark
Reply 15
I'm sorry - I didn't see this was in Student Finance. I was thinking more of a working person, so the figures from @Tiger Rag are much nearer the mark

Ok, thanks.

Yeah, my only worry is to be able to pay for food, travel and whatever necessary expenses a student has. I'm not fussed about buying new clothes, video games etc every week lol.
Original post by Thomazo
Nice, and that £80 was on food and travel plus what else?

I didn't really buy books or clothes. But that £80 was also enough for a trip to the football as well.
I was told at an applicants' day that £300 a week is the recommended amount.
Original post by Thomazo
Ok, thanks.

Yeah, my only worry is to be able to pay for food, travel and whatever necessary expenses a student has. I'm not fussed about buying new clothes, video games etc every week lol.

Of course - no normal student can afford to splash on on luxuries like that! If only!!

You should be able to manage to pay for the essentials and have a bit left over. Do you have a university in mind (i.e. can you research their accommodation costs in advance)?
Reply 19
I think I'll get around 265 per week from the loans and grants from my government so I should be fine then with a little bit of my own money added as well. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending