The Student Room Group

I don't know if i should stay at sixth form. Failing AS. Help please

I'm in sixth form and doing 3 A Levels. Biology, Chemistry and English Language. The Biology A level I'm doing as an online course as my sixth form didn't allow me to do it there due to my C grade in GCSE Biology. I am not academic at all and hate sciences but my parents are pressuring me to go into a sciencey field. I'm so behind on Biology and shamefully I cheat on every single topic test for Chemistry because I just can't stand it and even when i do revise i just fail. I just want to get good grades and not be seen as dumb. Even though i am for cheating. But I've never been good at science just my mum is pressurising me like she pressurised me to do triple science in GCSE hence why i ended up with a C in Biology and Physics and she admits to that too because it did nothing to help me with sixth form like she said it would. I feel guilty because shes paid for the online course and I just dont want to be ungrateful but I just feel like Im going to waste another year of my life if i carry on and i just want to be successful in life. I just dont know what to do.
Original post by H5gs8g
I'm in sixth form and doing 3 A Levels. Biology, Chemistry and English Language. The Biology A level I'm doing as an online course as my sixth form didn't allow me to do it there due to my C grade in GCSE Biology. I am not academic at all and hate sciences but my parents are pressuring me to go into a sciencey field. I'm so behind on Biology and shamefully I cheat on every single topic test for Chemistry because I just can't stand it and even when i do revise i just fail. I just want to get good grades and not be seen as dumb. Even though i am for cheating. But I've never been good at science just my mum is pressurising me like she pressurised me to do triple science in GCSE hence why i ended up with a C in Biology and Physics and she admits to that too because it did nothing to help me with sixth form like she said it would. I feel guilty because shes paid for the online course and I just dont want to be ungrateful but I just feel like Im going to waste another year of my life if i carry on and i just want to be successful in life. I just dont know what to do.

Life is short and you clearly aren't happy in what you are doing, perhaps you could just sit the exams this year as proof to your parents that it doesnt suit you and then think about what would suit you.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Life is short and you clearly aren't happy in what you are doing, perhaps you could just sit the exams this year as proof to your parents that it doesnt suit you and then think about what would suit you.

Thank you. I am really passionate about doing A Levels and want to go to a Russel Group university. Just not with these A Levels. But I'm finding it difficult to think of other subjects to choose. I was wondering English language, English literature as 2 but I'm struggling to think of a third. I would like to persue a degree in English or Law. I've heard History is a good subject but unfortunately i did not take that at GCSE.
Original post by H5gs8g
Thank you. I am really passionate about doing A Levels and want to go to a Russel Group university. Just not with these A Levels. But I'm finding it difficult to think of other subjects to choose. I was wondering English language, English literature as 2 but I'm struggling to think of a third. I would like to persue a degree in English or Law. I've heard History is a good subject but unfortunately i did not take that at GCSE.

you may be able to find somewhere that would let you do history without having done the gcse or do it as a private candidate :smile:
Have a look at other A Level subjects, specifications and exam boards and see if there is anything that would interest you. If not, then look at other options apart from A Levels. A Levels are not the only route to being successful. You are clearly motivated, and this motivation will bring you success in time but you are just doing the wrong subjects. Maybe some good will come of it as the evidence will be there from this years results that you would be better suited to another route. Best of luck
Have you thought about other essay based subjects such as Philosophy or Sociology? I think these would go well with english!
Original post by claireestelle
you may be able to find somewhere that would let you do history without having done the gcse or do it as a private candidate :smile:

I didn't do History gcse and I'm doing it now(been getting A's in mocks).There should be sixth forms or colleges that do it. If you enjoy it and have passion you'll do good in it(with hard work)
Reply 7
Original post by Blancosdos
I didn't do History gcse and I'm doing it now(been getting A's in mocks).There should be sixth forms or colleges that do it. If you enjoy it and have passion you'll do good in it(with hard work)

Thank you so much. I've just looked at a nearby college and they accept students who haven't done History at GCSE. Instead they ask for an interview.
Original post by H5gs8g
Thank you so much. I've just looked at a nearby college and they accept students who haven't done History at GCSE. Instead they ask for an interview.

Uh, You do English language?Do you enjoy that? You could tell them how English facilitates with History and how it helps create a exam technique that'll be useful for history essays. Tell them that your passionate..or at least interested in History.
Reply 9
Original post by everested
Have a look at other A Level subjects, specifications and exam boards and see if there is anything that would interest you. If not, then look at other options apart from A Levels. A Levels are not the only route to being successful. You are clearly motivated, and this motivation will bring you success in time but you are just doing the wrong subjects. Maybe some good will come of it as the evidence will be there from this years results that you would be better suited to another route. Best of luck

Thank you so much. I will definitely look at other options. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by amelia__xo
Have you thought about other essay based subjects such as Philosophy or Sociology? I think these would go well with english!

Unfortunately the college nearby does not do Philosophy but Sociology seems like an interesting subject as well. I will definitely look into it.:smile: Thank you for the suggestions.
Original post by H5gs8g

There are many sixth forms that let you take A level History even if you did not take GCSE History. However, you have to have got a grade B in either English Language or Litreture.
Reply 12
Original post by Blancosdos
Uh, You do English language?Do you enjoy that? You could tell them how English facilitates with History and how it helps create a exam technique that'll be useful for history essays. Tell them that your passionate..or at least interested in History.

I enjoy English Language a lot and I have always been interested in History! I think it was a little silly of me to not pick it at GCSE. That's a great point thank you. In the interview what type of questions do you think they will ask?
It definitely sounds like you're being pushed in a direction that you are not passionate about and struggling with.

See how you go with results day because it's only a few months away. Sit down and have a chat with your mum either way.
Reply 14
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
It definitely sounds like you're being pushed in a direction that you are not passionate about and struggling with.

See how you go with results day because it's only a few months away. Sit down and have a chat with your mum either way.

I'm really nervous to. I've had previous conversations with her but it has resulted in her trying to change my mind and bribe me or becoming really frustrated. I don't want to upset her because I know she just wants what is best for me but I'm finding it extremely difficult to try and change her mind. I had to literally beg for her to let me study English Language :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by Abdulrazig
There are many sixth forms that let you take A level History even if you did not take GCSE History. However, you have to have got a grade B in either English Language or Litreture.

Thank you for letting me know! Thankfully I did get a B in English Language and Literature. :smile:
Original post by H5gs8g
I enjoy English Language a lot and I have always been interested in History! I think it was a little silly of me to not pick it at GCSE. That's a great point thank you. In the interview what type of questions do you think they will ask?

Just be confident :smile:

Explain your reasons why you wish to do history, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest