The Student Room Group

Starting a business during gap year

TO be honest i'm not fully ready for uni yet, and ive been unsure on what i want to do because the uni's i applied for aren't what i wanted. i ended up declining all of them apart from one because they were too far away and the courses arent really what i wanted. i also dont think i will get the grades needed for the uni's. i actually want to take international business in MMU (manchester metropolitan) or i might want to apply for manchester but they werent on my options as my parents were mainly the ones who told me which uni's to choose etc. and i didnt get any back up uni's. i also think its too much of a hassle to go through sorting if its not the uni i want to go to. i am planning to set up a small business with my boyfriend at the end of this year and was wondering if i am more employable that way, whilst gaining real business experience during a gap year. i dont know whether i should take it and carry on with the gap year or rush myself into uni when i know im not ready and the uni that has given me a conditional is not the course i now want to do. so would it be worth it to start up my business during the gap year??
(edited 7 years ago)
Well whatever you do, don't go to uni. You seem like you don't want to be there and that isn't a good thing at all. Speaking from experience of going to uni when I felt like I didn't want to be there, or continue after the first year, it is much better to just sit it out for a bit. If you find an alternative you like instead, then you can keep at it, if it doesn't work out then you've got the option to go back to uni after that, maybe even with better grades that you'd have expected when you initially applied this year.

Since you've got plans for a business already (assuming you have some plan here) then I'd say to follow that and see where it takes you, worse case you go bankrupt and go to uni the year after, 3years+a masters =4yrs, only 2 years left until the bankruptcy is removed from your record, so no sweat....Last part isn't srs advice btw, disclaimer.

Quick Reply

Latest