The Student Room Group

extra modules

i think most unis make you do extra modules from other subjects alongside your course and i wnat to knwo what other people are goign to do.

i'm doing a MA at dundee in maths and psychology. i have to do 6 modules in the year, so obviously each semester i'll do one maths and one psychology. that leaves 1 module per semester left.

only problem is that all my options are from the arts + social sciences faculty.... that means it's all english, languages, history, economics/business sthings, geography, philosophy etc. i don't want to do any of them!
i hate english (although there is a second semester one called 'theories of writing' that might fit inw ith my psychology)
i really can't do languages- i did get an A at gcses french, but it was a one-off. my mum wants me to do beginner spanish cos we have a house out there, but i'm worried i'd have to work really hard at it so my maths particularly would suffer and i don't know whether i can do it with no previous experience of the language
history is deadly boring
economics etc.- i did economics at AS and hated it even though i got the highest grade in the college, a possibility cos i find it easy (but i really did hate it)
geography- ha, no
philosophy- just done it for Alevel and never want to do it again

i'm not quite sure where this leaves me... anyoen else in a similar position?

lou xxx
Reply 1
I think it's getting more common for unis to make you do electives like this, particularly in the first year or two.

I can't really help other than to say beginers level language is just that, beginners, so don't worry about it being too hard, and as you have a house there, your mum would just have to send you and a couple of friends out there to practice.

good luck with the course.
Reply 2
hmmmm yea im also wondering what to choose.
I have to pick 2 electives.

I'm doing economics at leeds. Ill probably choose ..... oooo i dont know. SOmething else in the bussiness school? psychology? Or maybe something else will catch my eye?

Have you looked at the specific courses you can do? You might not like the sound of a subject if you just look at it as a whole, eg history, but maybe for example if you look at the different courses one might catch your eye eg the history of sex (my friend told me newcastle do that).
Reply 3
This year I had 60 out of my 120 credits as unrestricted modules. I ended up signing up for EAS110 (East Asian Cinema), EAS111 (Transformation of East Asia) and JNL101 (Understanding the Media). However 110 ended up conflicting with some of my politics seminars so I switched to JNL104 (Current Debates in Broadcasting). Both EAS111 and JNL101 were intersting and I enjoyed taking them. 104 was rather dull however.
Reply 4
Just a quick word: after having finished our degrees lots of my friends (that's me included) really regret not having taken a language in our first year. you'll never get the chance to do a free language course as part of your studies again. obviously, if you really don't want to and if you feel your grades would suffer immensely (don't forget, your first year probably doesn't count towards your degree), then don't do it.
Also: i agree with one of the previous posters that you should look at particular courses instead of just saying you find a whole subject area boring, as even within your own subjects you'll find some of the courses deadly boring and some will really spark your interest.
Reply 5
thanks for all your help i've looked at the website and found they do a language course called 'intensive practical spanish' and you don't need to have done the subject before, it's only til christmas anyway and there's no exam it's just assessments, so i'll give it a go.

i'm also going to do english:theories or reading which looks at things like gender and stuff which i kinda did in psychology and really liked (and my brother did something similar in english language and thinks i'd like it)

thanks for all yoru help!

lou xxx
Reply 6
emma_
hmmmm yea im also wondering what to choose.
I have to pick 2 electives.

I'm doing economics at leeds. Ill probably choose ..... oooo i dont know. SOmething else in the bussiness school? psychology? Or maybe something else will catch my eye?

Have you looked at the specific courses you can do? You might not like the sound of a subject if you just look at it as a whole, eg history, but maybe for example if you look at the different courses one might catch your eye eg the history of sex (my friend told me newcastle do that).

my brother did icelandic studies (done by the english department) in his first year at leeds, he was the first chemist to do that course (or probably even set foot in the building)... he loved it. leeds have loads of choices though, dundee doesn't have as many cos it's so small.

lou xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending